Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
The big thing holding back more electric vehicles being produced is lack of batteries. even tesla making their own batteries doesn't have enough. Then you have the charging infrastructure that basically only Tesla has figured out.

Going on a long trip in an electric vehicle does add extra time to charge vs filling up with gas, but the trade off is never pumping gas during your normal daily commute.

A tesla with 300 mile range contains same energy as about 2.25 gallons of gas. Overall electric cars are more efficient and would lower energy production needs if more people were driving one.
Sponsored

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I currently work for one of those evil fossil fuel electric generating company's. And with my job, I have visibility of EVERY mega watt of power produced east of the continental divide.
I am not going to go into who is right and who is wrong, or what can or cannot be done to fix "climate change, " (by the way, it was 2° F yesterday morning in Arizona) but I can tell you that without all of these evil fossil fuels producing electric power, green energy CANNOT maintain the current power demands on the left coasts power grid.
Now add a crap load of electric vehicles that will need to be charged, electric heating for homes and businesses, (remember, there will be no propane or natural gas to heat your homes ?) things are going to get very hard. Now add to the issue of no trains, no over the road trucking, no planes, how are we going to get our goods delivered to us, in a Conestoga wagon?
I am also a veteran, EVERY piece of military ground equipment runs on evil fossil fuels, I guess we won't need the armed forces to defend us, because they won't be able to move their equipment.
A green energy power infrastructure is not currently available, and not for the foreseeable near future. So you all better start buying candles if you want to read after the sun goes down.

And I will be out looking for another job...
Well for one thing, railroads have been using hybrid engines forever. They have a diesel tank on them but that it just used to have the engine power the electric generator that turns the traction motors. Electromotive is the future and people need to stop holding onto outdated technology. In 14 years batteries will be faster charging and able to last much longer than todays technology.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The thing that most folks totally miss is the carbon footprint necessary in order to supply these machines. From battery materials to the rare earth elements needed for today’s motors. Only a few places on the planet they come from. Not to mention the environmental carnage from it. So, with that said, until it becomes a net positive investment someone is paying for that. Enslave yourself’s is the outcome

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Crew Cab
Vehicle Showcase
Well for one thing, railroads have been using hybrid engines forever. They have a diesel tank on them but that it just used to have the engine power the electric generator that turns the traction motors. Electromotive is the future and people need to stop holding onto outdated technology. In 14 years batteries will be faster charging and able to last much longer than todays technology.
That "hybrid engine" in a freight train is a V-16 supercharged diesel engine, coupled to a generator to produce the power to the drive trucks to move it. There is NO battery reserve, shut off the diesel engine, no power!

Ask me how I know.

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Crew Cab
Vehicle Showcase
"At this point" and "today" are the key phrases I'm seeing in a lot of your statements. A lot of you guys not onboard with this are thinking in the PRESENT. All GM is doing with this statement is setting a goal for the FUTURE.

What's wrong with that? What's wrong aspiring for something better someday? What's wrong with trying to achieve something incredible? We should try. Don't shrug something like this off because right now, today, it's not the most achievable thing. Just because things are the way they are now, doesn't mean they can't be something else in the future. Trains, trucks, planes, military equipment, etc. aren't necessarily incapable of being powered by electricity too. IN THE FUTURE.

Sure it'll take work and time and energy and money. But so what. So does everything else.

I'm not expecting things to change overnight and all of a sudden we're free and clear of fossil fuels. All I'm saying is we should at least try to be better and advance. Instead of continuing with the status quo until the fossil fuels run out and then we're really dead in the water with no plan or "backup".
I welcome change, just not as fast as the guy threatening to shut down the oil, gas and coal industry as quickly as he wants to.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
"At this point" and "today" are the key phrases I'm seeing in a lot of your statements. A lot of you guys not onboard with this are thinking in the PRESENT. All GM is doing with this statement is setting a goal for the FUTURE.

What's wrong with that? What's wrong aspiring for something better someday? What's wrong with trying to achieve something incredible? We should try. Don't shrug something like this off because right now, today, it's not the most achievable thing. Just because things are the way they are now, doesn't mean they can't be something else in the future. Trains, trucks, planes, military equipment, etc. aren't necessarily incapable of being powered by electricity too. IN THE FUTURE.

Sure it'll take work and time and energy and money. But so what. So does everything else.

I'm not expecting things to change overnight and all of a sudden we're free and clear of fossil fuels. All I'm saying is we should at least try to be better and advance. Instead of continuing with the status quo until the fossil fuels run out and then we're really dead in the water with no plan or "backup".
I agree Matt but what I have a problem with and I'm sure most do is just getting rid of fracking and canceling the pipeline. Right now we are finally energy independent and gas was relatively cheap. Why end it all together and strap us down and cripple the economy and business especially during a pandemic? I can see tapering it off throughout the years but not just canceling it now and being dependent on foreign oil again.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I seldom rely on weather reports 3 weeks out or press releases looking out 14 years. They will make ICE vehicles as long as they're legal and profitable. IMO they are just jumping on the Biden "kill the oil industry" bandwagon.
I did not vote for him. That said, President Biden is not killing the oil industry. This has been coming for decades, and the oil industry has known that it was coming for decades. New and better technology replaces older inferior technology again and again. Nobody on the planet will be worse off with a cleaner environment. I have enjoyed owning, building, and driving ICE cars for 40 years, but I would gladly toss them aside for something less damaging to the earth and everything that lives on it. Electric cars aren't the total solution, but I think they are a huge step in the right direction.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
gas and oil will be around for along time. too many industries and farmers that need petroleum powered workhorses.

But there's lot of average people who could benefit from less expenses on fuel and maintenance with electric vehicle.

the oil industry has recently started buying solar and wind companies.......

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
GOOD!
I'm glad they are doing this. Step in the right direction finally.

Can you imagine how much more skinny pedal therapy we can get when no one cares if they get 3mpg because the reduced demand for Gas has it at 18cents a gallon?

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
GOOD!
I'm glad they are doing this. Step in the right direction finally.

Can you imagine how much more skinny pedal therapy we can get when no one cares if they get 3mpg because the reduced demand for Gas has it at 18cents a gallon?
Yup by then all our Rangers now will be on Dyno generators in our back yards cranking out amps for the grid! ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That "hybrid engine" in a freight train is a V-16 supercharged diesel engine, coupled to a generator to produce the power to the drive trucks to move it. There is NO battery reserve, shut off the diesel engine, no power!

Ask me how I know.
how do you know ? back in the 70s I worked briefly one summer on the night shift as fireman on a diesel loco that moved cars for Bethlehem Steel. So figuring I'd be up all night working I slept that afternoon, go to work at 11, we move cars around for maybe 4 hours, park the loco and the brakeman and conductor call it a night, the engineer says you're the new guy so you have to stay in case we have to move more cars, but for now get some shut eye - luckily I had brought a book. Going forward I was always happy to jump out and "line the irons" if only to stretch my legs instead of just sitting on my *ss. Then one night the train crew has me throwing switches, I ask where we are going and they say "you'll see" and we take the loco to a remote part of the plant behind a large empty building, I see flames, lo and behold these guys are having a bbq at 2am, quaffing beers and partying it up along with a few ladies of the night in the mix. No small wonder the freakin steel industry got walloped by foreign competition as these were highly paid workers that rarely put in 8 hrs.

But like the fireman's job eventually was eliminated the long term future of the gasoline engine as the prevailing power source is in doubt.
I

Last edited:

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I seldom rely on weather reports 3 weeks out or press releases looking out 14 years. They will make ICE vehicles as long as they're legal and profitable. IMO they are just jumping on the Biden "kill the oil industry" bandwagon.
As I recall, a while back their customers pulled the plug ? for them on their vehicles/business... then the gubment bailed out GM (among others; Ford took a loan to level the playing field) with our tax dollars. Note that GM now stands for Government Motors, and even though GM announced that they paid back the debt in full, they were actually not even close.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Count me in, just not right now.

As of today there aren't EVs that fit my need (and budget) and most of that is down to the current battery tech/efficiency vs ICE - especially under heavy loads. Engineering Explained on youtube did a great breakdown in the difference in efficiencies while towing with ICE vs EV.

However there isn't a massive leap forward in battery tech that needs to take place before EV really makes sense though. Even now they are quite good for commuter/car but for a truck; I need range while towing and very rapid charging before I can replace my Ranger with an all EV truck but I expect when that time comes (10ish years) I will shopping EV.

I love EV torque, I'd love to "refill" in my garage and I'd love to never have to replace oil, transmission fluid, vacuum hoses and blah blah blah ever again.

Edit: Just want to add - this is more about EV in general. I'm really not a fan GM so likely will still avoid their brand even when I'm EV shopping.
Sponsored