First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
To be fair, Google created Android, so I envision this won't be dramatically different than Android (likely even android under the hood). Meaning all Android apps would still work without having to get app builders to build for their dedicated APIs. I would also imagine the UI to be pretty similar to Android/Carplay. Assuming no subscription is involved, I would prefer to not have to rely on my phone for access to apps via Carplay. But of course, the devil is in the details. And given the shift from the auto industry to want to own the software of the car and charge for it, I suspect much of this will end up requiring a subscription. And if GM does it, I would be money that Ford and Toyota and all the others will follow along because, hey why not make a few more bucks.
You are very right about this. And there have been rumors of Apple developing their own car, too. If this happens, I could see all automakers removing CarPlay from their vehicles.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
You are very right about this. And there have been rumors of Apple developing their own car, too. If this happens, I could see all automakers removing CarPlay from their vehicles.
in theory it's not a bad idea because there are definitely headaches with requiring a second device to access that stuff. the problems arise when you consider the extra implications. because the point of AA/Carplay is to connect to services that are not native to the truck.

you see it with phones pretty easily. eventually the hardware gets so out-of-date that it will no longer connect to certain services because they've changed their protocols, security, or whatever and the old phone hardware is insufficient to run the new code required to access the service.

I have an old ipod touch. still works fine to access music stored on it, but that's all. none of the apps installed on it (the ones that access services on the internet, anyway) work anymore, and because the hardware is old, none of the software will update. ios won't update anymore, and therefore none of the apps will, either.

That ipod touch is 11yrs old and this has been true for several years. I kept my last car for 13yrs. using a phone to actually run the software to connect to these services makes sense because people replace them with some regularity, specifically because of these issues (and because phone mfrs would throttle old devices to push people to replace them even sooner) and others (like battery life). if the required hardware becomes built into the vehicle, that creates a huge layer of headaches as that vehicle ages out of software updates.

and again, where do those updates come from? the auto manufacturers want to tie ppl into subscriptions in a bad way. a number have started trying already, but that hasn't gone well for them. pretty sure doing this is a way to push the issue into something that people will relent to accepting.

IMO, crap like this is going to continue to push used car prices through the roof, as people seek to avoid the subscription creep in their vehicles. especially if they're already paying subs for their favorite media apps (and nav apps - Gaia has an AA app and paying for a sub enables more features - I expect to see others follow suit).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
And given the shift from the auto industry to want to own the software of the car and charge for it, I suspect much of this will end up requiring a subscription. And if GM does it, I would be money that Ford and Toyota and all the others will follow along because, hey why not make a few more bucks.
I suspect it will just blow up in GMs face as people just don't want this. At a certain point you can't sell something that people don't want to buy. Luckily I'm of an age that if it does take off I just don't have to care, and can simply not buy the thing they're selling for the rest of my life.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
F@#$ subscriptions.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Unless you live under a rock, there are several glaringly obvious changes in the way advertising dollars are spent. Just look at any news site on your smartphone; you have to click off a half dozen ads, just to read the headlines! And as you start to read the news story, additional ads keep popping up! There is NOT END to it all!

Technically, GM has had the ability to listen in on your conversations via OnStar, for many years. Several models, notably Buick ones, record what you're saying while you're driving. Add in the various on-board vehicle data recording, and Orwell's 1984 is here and now!

Not only that, one of the fears auto makers have been leery of, is the push for advertising via all of those on-board screens. For example, you're driving down the street at 11 ish, and the console screen pops with with voice and video, telling you your favorite restaurant is just two blocks away!

Yes, it is all money driven! Worse, advertising is going to get even more pervasive, to the point you cannot escape it!

God help us all!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Remember when Ford partnered with Microsoft for their Sync system?

How is that system doing now?

Oh yeah, now I remember.

SYNC Services relied on technology that is no longer being supported. While this technology was useful when the feature launched, it is no longer the best way to support owner needs. We will continue to focus efforts on new technologies.

The following is no longer available:

• The SYNC Destinations mobile app
  • Operator Assist Sessions
  • The ability to activate SYNC Services subscription through this site
  • The ability to access to SYNC Services features and settings through this site
  • The ability to fully utilize certain features, such as voice-activated assistance
Microsoft's Sync was replaced by Blackberry QNX which is what's currently in Sync.

Which is being replaced with Google, for at least 6 years anyway.

It's much easier to replace a phone when technology becomes obsolete than replacing a vehicle.

Plus, having the system baked into the vehicle is a surefire way to push subscriptions, ie OnStar.

Many of the older systems, like early OnStar, relied on 3G service which has been and is being shut down by the carriers.

Some car manufacturers and rental companies have Car Subscriptions where you own nothing and you are happy, and you are always up to date!

Keeping up with technology is much easier, for me anyway, when it's not baked into the vehicle.

I keep vehicles for a long time unless I hate them, so I want to be able to replace things.

Typing all this makes me start thinking again about getting an old Frontier.

When the radio dies in it, it's an easy task to upgrade.

If this Sync head unit dies...

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Typing all this makes me start thinking again about getting an old Frontier.

When the radio dies in it, it's an easy task to upgrade.
speaking of old frontiers and the radio.... the radio in my old frontier was stuck on 99.5... that's country here :puke:

remeber when Microsoft teamed up with Sega to make the Dreamcast? then microsoft abandonded that and made their own game system. does Bildo Gates plan on making cars now?

if these cars keep getting too much into the brainwashing of the driver, I just might become the urban cowboy and get a horse?

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I wouldnt buy any new vehicle that cant do android auto/apple car play. (or that requires a subscription to use them like certain others do) Factory nav is always pretty terrible compared to those apps and I do not want to have to mount my phone to the dash for nav.

They are doing this now with Sync 4 (You have to PAY a subscription to have Navigation). They don't want to pay Apple and Android the $36 in royalties and just want profit. Sadly these are the same bean counters that at Ford removed the 'engine cover' from the ranger and will be dealing with the outcome of that for years to come. I can see it now: Rangers for sale, just needs a new head due to rusted spark plugs. Very SAD!!! Nobody wants a subscription based vehicle!