Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Std. cab, SWB Ranger 2x4, 2.5L, 5-sp; 2014 XV Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
According to wiki:
This transmission is part of a joint-venture between Ford Motor Company and General Motors to design and engineer two transmissions, a longitudinal 10-speed transmission and a transverse 9-speed trans-axle. Each company will manufacture its own unique version of the transmissions in their own factories.[1][2] The 10-speed transmission was designed by Ford, while GM designed the 9-speed transmission which is used in transverse applications.[3][4]
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I'd actually like to see them work on a larger bore Ecoboost. A V6 is great and all but a 2.5 EB is certainly doable. The EB's are based on the Mazda L series/Ford Duratec engines...and a 2.5 has already been made...

Let me throw this out there....I'd like to see Ford work on say a 2.0/2.3 based 5 cylinder Ecoboost. Sure it would have to be balanced differently I think due to the odd cylinder count. But check it...we know a 5 pot will fit since the 3.2 TD is fitted in other markets, it would be a bit lighter I think than a V6 (exhaust etc etc)...the trans is already burly enough for the torque, and you would be able to market it in other packages (Transit, F150, FPV/SVT/tuner sales for racing applications) Also it would be able to possibly fill a hole in the Euro Ford Focus since they had to drop the 2.3 RS due to Euro emissions standards.

Of course this is me wanting a 5 cyl turbo since I can't afford a 1990 Audi Quattro coupe :p
Colorado originally came out with a 5-cyl standard, that was a few years back.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Colorado originally came out with a 5-cyl standard, that was a few years back.
Holy thread resurrection... :cool:

I never understood the odd number cylinder thing... John Deere had a one lunger...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Think many of you are forgetting about fleet mileage requirements from the Feds. It only gets tighter as the years tick off. It’s like a team in the NFL, there is a salary cap and if you go over it the penalties are steep. So they will continue with enhancing 4’s or PHEV

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I didn't see this thread back when it was posted.

I suspect many of these makers are being forced into smaller engines with turbos for EPA reasons. Government regulations for combined fleet average fuel economy are are forcing their hands.

Sure they might be able to sell a few V6 trucks, but the quantity is going to be severely limited (and likely jacked up in price) so the combined corporate average isn't tipped. Hooray a V6 Turbo Ranger! Well they are making so few of them that you can't get one if you tried, and if you did find one the sell price is probably MSRP +$30K market markup.

A while back I read up on CAFE. Some day, assuming we're not all in electric trucks, we'll probably be in 2.0 liter twin turbo trucks or something. There are battles against regulations going on, and trucks with small engines and turbos are essentially a sign that the makers are losing the battles. At least that's my take on it for all the articles I've read.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see this thread back when it was posted.

I suspect many of these makers are being forced into smaller engines with turbos for EPA reasons. Government regulations for combined fleet average fuel economy are are forcing their hands.

Sure they might be able to sell a few V6 trucks, but the quantity is going to be severely limited (and likely jacked up in price) so the combined corporate average isn't tipped. Hooray a V6 Turbo Ranger! Well they are making so few of them that you can't get one if you tried, and if you did find one the sell price is probably MSRP +$30K market markup.

A while back I read up on CAFE. Some day, assuming we're not all in electric trucks, we'll probably be in 2.0 liter twin turbo trucks or something. There are battles against regulations going on, and trucks with small engines and turbos are essentially a sign that the makers are losing the battles. At least that's my take on it for all the articles I've read.
Hi Zaph,

You are correct on this instance.... Ford had a Di engine in 1974..called Proco. Unfortunately the rudimentary computer was problematic. So turn the clock forward...Ford developed an upgrade DI engine package with electronics. It caught GM and Chrysler flat footed. Ford was now in the catbird seat with CAFE. So the government did not like it because it flew in the face of Electric Vehicles...So CAFE was tightened until the previous administration derailed this attempt... Sadly the current administration tries to derail gasoline vehicles once again...

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
By the time GM gets this on the showroom floor the next ranger will be here with the 2.7 so I wouldn’t bet on GM having best in class power. I think the interesting option would be the PHEV option if it was a turbo engine paired with a 50 mile or so electric range for commuters. Leave the power wars for the full size sep

Sort of a shame the diesel is going away but it is overpriced like most diesel options. The emissions requirements are killing diesels anyway.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
...It caught GM and Chrysler flat footed...
Were you still with Ford when they released the EcoBoost V6 in the F150?

Talk about being caught flat footed, I remember the GM guys all braying about how Ford would now lose the truck crown since a V6 couldn't possibly compete with their V8s.

And then they tested the EB against the GM and Ram V8s.

Humble pie with a side of crow was served.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hopefully, they fix their transmissions before worrying too much about the engines.. doh!

ah.. it does say 10-spd transmission...hmmm
Mobil fixed the tranny issues by developing a new synthetic oil that doesn’t absorb moisture like their original fluid did.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
By the time GM gets this on the showroom floor the next ranger will be here with the 2.7 so I wouldn’t bet on GM having best in class power. I think the interesting option would be the PHEV option if it was a turbo engine paired with a 50 mile or so electric range for commuters. Leave the power wars for the full size sep

Sort of a shame the diesel is going away but it is overpriced like most diesel options. The emissions requirements are killing diesels anyway.
Samsquanch.... you have a twin "Ruckus58"
sam.jpg

Reactions: Doc