2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Hopefully, they fix their transmissions before worrying too much about the engines.. doh!

ah.. it does say 10-spd transmission...hmmm

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Good to see.
Now Ford can bump up 2.3L HP or offer a performance version.
Lightning Ranger!

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully, they fix their transmissions before worrying too much about the engines.. doh!

ah.. it does say 10-spd transmission...hmmm

The 10-spd was co-developed with Ford, so likely very similar to the one in the Ranger.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I've driven a few Sierras and Silverados with their 2.7L 4-banger, and I honestly like it better than their 5.3L V8. It doesn't sound as good obviously, but from preformance and responsiveness standpoint, it was pretty good. I think it would do well in a smaller truck like the Canyon and Colorado, and tougher competition usually means better products for the consumer. ?‍♂

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I love it. Good for them and I hope competition drives better options as I love the mid sized market.

My only concern is size because theres so much pressure to compete with “more” which often means “bigger” and next thing you know, midsize trucks become TFB just like half tons are now.

I’ve wanted a mid size truck for a long time but have needed a min tow capacity of 7klbs. I don’t particularly like Government Motors products or the “diesel tax” that comes with the colorado that has the tow capacity, so my only option was nothing... until the Ranger.

It would be interesting to see if Nissan Or Toyota takes the queue and improves on their future offers. I’d also be curious to know what the demand is between those who prioritize towing or prioritize off-road. Seems like Toyota believes off road is more important a demo to sell into as a segment leader.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I test drove an upscale Colorado before settling on the Ranger. The power seat option is for both front seats in the Ford, wasn't in the Chevy and my wife (who had to be final approval) hated the parking brake pedal on the Colorado. If I recall, the Colorado had the tailgate damper which was nice but not a major component. The interior fit and finish was nearly - if not as by good as the Honda Ridgeline. Only the Nissan had the center handbrake for parking like the Ranger and frankly that was a configuration that we really liked. Oh, and pushbutton ignition...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm skeptical. I think Ford & GM will both offer a turbo 6 in their next gen midsize, just because there's enough of a market that will pay a premium for an unnecessarily large engine.

Ditching the diesel is a no-brainer; the take rate is low, there really isn't a point in a mid-size truck, and the engineering/certification is expensive.

langlais

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 2019 xlt scab
Yeah just saw that too for gm. It is for 2023 though. Will be probably really fast for a midsize truck ! Like a tunned ranger right now.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Good to see.
Now Ford can bump up 2.3L HP or offer a performance version.
Lightning Ranger!
Yes, this definitely will pressure Ford to put a 2.7 Turbo in future Rangers! Isn't competition great?

Reactions: Doc

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I'd actually like to see them work on a larger bore Ecoboost. A V6 is great and all but a 2.5 EB is certainly doable. The EB's are based on the Mazda L series/Ford Duratec engines...and a 2.5 has already been made...

Let me throw this out there....I'd like to see Ford work on say a 2.0/2.3 based 5 cylinder Ecoboost. Sure it would have to be balanced differently I think due to the odd cylinder count. But check it...we know a 5 pot will fit since the 3.2 TD is fitted in other markets, it would be a bit lighter I think than a V6 (exhaust etc etc)...the trans is already burly enough for the torque, and you would be able to market it in other packages (Transit, F150, FPV/SVT/tuner sales for racing applications) Also it would be able to possibly fill a hole in the Euro Ford Focus since they had to drop the 2.3 RS due to Euro emissions standards.

Of course this is me wanting a 5 cyl turbo since I can't afford a 1990 Audi Quattro coupe :p

Deleted member 1634

My only concern is size because theres so much pressure to compete with “more” which often means “bigger” and next thing you know, midsize trucks become TFB just like half tons are now.
A mid-size truck war is exactly what I'm afraid of. A little competition is great, sure, but I'm afraid we'll get into the same "bigger and more powerful is better" competition that the full-size trucks have had for the last 20 years. Once Chevy puts a more powerful engine in, then Ford will have to up the power just recapture the "best in class" moniker, even though it's not required. There's no reason a midsize truck should have to haul more, tow more, or be faster than the Ranger is right now. The reason I bought this truck is precisely because it isn't a hugely overpowered, bloated, monster of a truck. If you want something like that, it already exists in the full-size market. I just hope they don't ruin this for those of us who just want a simple and useful small-ish truck. If they do, then I just have to hope they slot something in underneath it for the rest of us realistic folks.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
The 10-spd was co-developed with Ford, so likely very similar to the one in the Ranger.
Similar maybe, but not the same. Gm Made a 8 speed while ford had the 10.

And the 8 speed was a pile of crap with YEARS of problems.
Sponsored