GM is pulling the plug on gas and diesel by 2035

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The Daily Mail site sure is obnoxious. I found the presser straight from GM here.

The press release refers to "an aspiration to eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035." Noteworthy that they refer to it as an "aspiration" and not a plan.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
General Motors to stop producing gasoline and diesel cars by 2035

https://mol.im/a/9198789
They better have a plan to overhaul the whole countries electrical grid first. Just a look back at CA this past summer where they had more rolling blackouts and were telling people to shut their ac and high consumption appliances off during peak hours. Now picture the whole whole country mimicking this? :facepalm:

blackout.jpg

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
They better have a plan to overhaul the whole countries electrical grid first. Just a look back at CA this past summer where they had more rolling blackouts and were telling people to shut their ac and high consumption appliances off during peak hours. Now picture the whole whole country mimicking this? :facepalm:

blackout.jpg
That should be in about 45 days if current trends hold...;)

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Add to the overloads now ... about 300 million electric cars charging with no fossil fuel generating power

Electric Car.jpeg

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The Daily Mail site sure is obnoxious. I found the presser straight from GM here.

The press release refers to "an aspiration to eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035." Noteworthy that they refer to it as an "aspiration" and not a plan.
I suspect that "aspiration" is probably accurate. They have a long time, and many opportunities to change their plans. An enormous amount of standardized charging infrastructure needs to be built to enable the electric transition on a national scale, and battery technology must advance rapidly to support cold-weather practicality. I'd like my next car to be pure electric, so I'm really hoping to see something more than luxurious third-car tax credits for the wealthy in the next four years.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I seldom rely on weather reports 3 weeks out or press releases looking out 14 years. They will make ICE vehicles as long as they're legal and profitable. IMO they are just jumping on the Biden "kill the oil industry" bandwagon.
Leave my gasoline ALONE JOE!
Such a uniter....lol

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Good on GM for at least making an attempt and showing their desire. Sounds like a good plan as long as there's concurrent innovation/effort put into renewable energy production. Solar, wind, hydro, all that stuff. Because otherwise, like a lot of you anti-electric folks argue, it's just pushing the environmental impact down, or up depending on your perspective, the line.

I'm all for replacing/getting rid of the IC engine. A majority of people who drive travel less than 200-300 miles in day, including myself. Usually way less. Not everyone obviously, but most. And that is well within the range of current day electric vehicles. Every time I think about how much fuel I'm wasting, and hydrocarbons I'm producing, just on my drive back and forth to work everyday it hurts. I would Maybe I should invest in an electric motorcycle for summer commuting.

The other thing that needs to be done is make electric cars more affordable. Obviously the current prices are as a result of the cost of batteries. But since electric tech has been exponentially increasing in capability and decreasing in cost, in 14 years I have no doubt it'll be more available to the masses and the normals like me.
I'm not anti-electric at all.....most of the electric cars are SILLY fast! I am against breaking the oil and gas industry when that is how we power EVERYTHING in this Country at this point. Especially with the events that have transpired over the last year....we need stability and cheap energy to get us over this crisis. Then we can work towards achieving the green infrastructure that will need to be built to get us to the next era of power. All this green energy push does at this point is put the cost of mobility on the backs of the working people....not cool at all!
Also...it will be a sad day when you cannot feel/hear the vibration/sound of your engine :crying:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
But, if your kids live across country how long will it take you to get there? If GM wants to go all electric I wish them well. I'm sure the reason they hedged their bet is because of questions like mine. With the government once again getting the cart before the horse infrastructure will surely not keep up as the technology just isn't up to the task right now.

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Crew Cab
Vehicle Showcase
I currently work for one of those evil fossil fuel electric generating company's. And with my job, I have visibility of EVERY mega watt of power produced east of the continental divide.
I am not going to go into who is right and who is wrong, or what can or cannot be done to fix "climate change, " (by the way, it was 2° F yesterday morning in Arizona) but I can tell you that without all of these evil fossil fuels producing electric power, green energy CANNOT maintain the current power demands on the left coasts power grid.
Now add a crap load of electric vehicles that will need to be charged, electric heating for homes and businesses, (remember, there will be no propane or natural gas to heat your homes ?) things are going to get very hard. Now add to the issue of no trains, no over the road trucking, no planes, how are we going to get our goods delivered to us, in a Conestoga wagon?
I am also a veteran, EVERY piece of military ground equipment runs on evil fossil fuels, I guess we won't need the armed forces to defend us, because they won't be able to move their equipment.
A green energy power infrastructure is not currently available, and not for the foreseeable near future. So you all better start buying candles if you want to read after the sun goes down.

And I will be out looking for another job...

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good on GM for at least making an attempt and showing their desire. Sounds like a good plan as long as there's concurrent innovation/effort put into renewable energy production. Solar, wind, hydro, all that stuff. Because otherwise, like a lot of you anti-electric folks argue, it's just pushing the environmental impact down, or up depending on your perspective, the line.

I'm all for replacing/getting rid of the IC engine. A majority of people who drive travel less than 200-300 miles in day, including myself. Usually way less. Not everyone obviously, but most. And that is well within the range of current day electric vehicles. Every time I think about how much fuel I'm wasting, and hydrocarbons I'm producing, just on my drive back and forth to work everyday it hurts. I would Maybe I should invest in an electric motorcycle for summer commuting.

The other thing that needs to be done is make electric cars more affordable. Obviously the current prices are as a result of the cost of batteries. But since electric tech has been exponentially increasing in capability and decreasing in cost, in 14 years I have no doubt it'll be more available to the masses and the normals like me.
I am not against electric vehicles, and like you, I feel they are over priced. Here is a picture of a section of the road I take to work each day. And while it may not a 200-300 mile commute, it is a little rougher than most people are used too.
IMG_20201027_182038_118.jpg

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase