Gas Mileage

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I'll be looking more into the MPG after the break-in period.

Calculating Fuel Economy
Your vehicle calculates fuel economy figures through the trip computer average fuel function. See Information Displays (page 90).
The first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) of driving is the break-in period of the engine. A more accurate measurement is obtained after 2,000 mi (3,000 km).
1. Completely fill the fuel tank and record the initial odometer reading. See Refueling (page 143).
2. Each time you fill the fuel tank, record the amount of fuel added.
3. After at least three fill-ups, fill the fuel tank and record the current odometer reading.
4. Subtract your initial odometer reading from the current odometer reading.
I like this method and that's what I'll do. The initial fillup, I'll fill it completely full until it *just* starts to come out of the filling hole. Next 3, who cares...fill it until it clicks, call it done and record the gallons. Last fill up, do the same as the initial. Just to make sure it's all fairly accurate, I'll do a gps or mileage marker check.

I think I'll do it for 3 fillups when I first get the truck and then do it over 5 after 2000 miles just to see if there is a difference. My commute drive is very consistent with a good mix of uphill, downhill, and city.

Currently, Our Rogue transportation appliance is averaging 30.3 and on fuelly, the average is ~25. So hoping to get ~26 or so on my commute. Towing, hauling, joyriding, don't care.
Sponsored

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Um. Yes, you do need to fill the same amount each time in order to calculate the MPG for a specific fill. If you track over a long period of time it'll average out, but that's not the context of the post you replied to.
MPGs are always average. No vehicle has one consistent MPG rating. If you measure the amount of gas you put in and then divide by the amount of mileage that gas gives you then you are going to get the average MPG, whether it's 5 samples or 500 samples. The more samples you take the more average the number becomes.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
At 308 total miles on my ranger, for the last 120 miles I got 23.0 MPG as per the truck display. About 60% highway, 40% city.

Ranger MPG-1.jpg

Ranger MPG-2.jpg

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuming that the majority of those posting are driving the SuperCrew.

Any SuperCab numbers? I am thinking a little better mileage given the @100lbs and .4 inch overall height less the supercab has over the supercrew.

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

Any SuperCab numbers? I am thinking a little better mileage given the @100lbs and .4 inch overall height less the supercab has over the supercrew.

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
I am a supercab, so the 23 mpg is for that. But only 300 total miles so far. Expect it to increase with use through abut 1000 miles.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
I took mine across the scale at work the other day and it weighed in at 4700#, spray in bed liner, soft tonneau cover that I added I'm sure helped to bring it up in weight. :)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I took mine across the scale at work the other day and it weighed in at 4700#, spray in bed liner, soft tonneau cover that I added I'm sure helped to bring it up in weight. :)
21.9 today

fordman89

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab, 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Getting a solid 22 MPG in my SuperCab. Mixed driving, running 87 octane. Definitely no complaints from me.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Supercab with about 6k miles. Averaging about 22 in town and 25-26 on highway depending on posted (75-80 in Tx.) speed limit. I'm good with that!

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Supercrew, at 1000 I'm getting 21.5 on the computer.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I got to wondering recently how adaptive cruise control might affect mpg. Not sure how many of you are using it versus normal cruise control with traffic. This is considered with the assumption that a vehicle in a steady speed is more efficient than a vehicle that is not on cruise control or speeding up / slowing down constantly. Thinking highway traveling here.

Situation one.
In normal cruise control when you come up to slower vehicles you pass them or tap your brakes to disengage cruise to slow up behind them. Since you are off cruise and controlling speed with your foot so more aware of what speed you are travelling. You quickly discover if you do not like their speed and decide to pass them to get to a clear stretch of road to re-engage cruise and a steady speed.

Situation two.
If in adaptive cruise control your vehicle comes up to them and then slows to mimic their speed. I don't have adaptive cruise so only guessing on this. If they do not have cruise control and have a speed that is not very consistent then neither will yours be. Depending how subtle it is or how much of a hurry you are in you could be behind them for a while not noticing it. Since you are not using your foot to regulate speed you might be less aware or care how erratic the speed of the vehicle in front of you is. In the process making your fuel economy suffer.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? I know that adaptive cruise can be a convenience thing but might it be hurting the mpg?

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got to wondering recently how adaptive cruise control might affect mpg. Not sure how many of you are using it versus normal cruise control with traffic. This is considered with the assumption that a vehicle in a steady speed is more efficient than a vehicle that is not on cruise control or speeding up / slowing down constantly. Thinking highway traveling here.

Situation one.
In normal cruise control when you come up to slower vehicles you tap your brakes to disengage cruise to slow up behind them (or pass). You quickly discover if you do not like their speed and decide to pass them to get to a clear stretch of road to re-engage cruise and a steady speed.

Situation two.
If in adaptive cruise control your vehicle comes up to them and then slows to mimic their speed. I don't have adaptive cruise so only guessing on this. If they do not have cruise control and have a speed that is not very consistent then neither will yours be. Depending how subtle it is or how much of a hurry you are in you could be behind them for a while not noticing it. In the process making your fuel economy suffer.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?
You're right about it. Smoothness is the key to economy. If the guy in front of you has binary throttle syndrome (the most irritating people on the road), your truck's economy is going to suffer trying to keep a set distance. The solution to this is to just set a top speed lower than his and let the following distance vary.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

Situation one.
In normal cruise control when you come up to slower vehicles you tap your brakes to disengage cruise to slow up behind them (or pass). You quickly discover if you do not like their speed and decide to pass them to get to a clear stretch of road to re-engage cruise and a steady speed. Since you are off cruise and controlling speed with your foot so more aware of what speed you are travelling.

Situation two.
If in adaptive cruise control your vehicle comes up to them and then slows to mimic their speed. I don't have adaptive cruise so only guessing on this. If they do not have cruise control and have a speed that is not very consistent then neither will yours be. Depending how subtle it is or how much of a hurry you are in you could be behind them for a while not noticing it. In the process making your fuel economy suffer. Since you are not using your foot to regulate speed you might be less aware or care how erratic the speed of the vehicle in front of you is.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?
You can set how closely your truck follows the car ahead. The more slack you allow, the less aggressive the truck will be at speeding up or slowing down, and it won't be mimicking every little change the other car makes. I would not expect this to adversely impact fuel economy.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks. I knew you could set a distance ahead of the vehicle in front. Just wondered if their erratic speed would make your mpg suffer. I'm not bashing adaptive cruise. Just thinking out loud.

Seems I made a few edits during the time you posted.
Sponsored