FUMOTO oil drain valve

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
On my first oil change, I intended to install the Fumoto valve. I have used Fumoto on 2 previous vehicles and they work great.

as I detailed in an earlier post, I experienced concern with the Fumoto valve and adapter due to the gasket they provide. I reinstalled the factory drain plug.

Just did my second oil change yesterday and installed the Valvomax drain plug with aluminum crush washer. I like this valve better than the Fumoto and it is made in the US.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
as I detailed in an earlier post, I experienced concern with the Fumoto valve and adapter due to the gasket they provide. I reinstalled the factory drain plug.
I think I recall reading your concerns elsewhere on this board about the adapter setup with the valve you received. Apparently Fumoto was listening, as the adapter and valve I received had a different gasket setup which seems to be working perfectly.

I've never heard of Valvomax, but am interested in adding a drain valve to my wife's Focus. I'll check them out. Thanks!

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I recall reading your concerns elsewhere on this board about the adapter setup with the valve you received. Apparently Fumoto was listening, as the adapter and valve I received had a different gasket setup which seems to be working perfectly.

I've never heard of Valvomax, but am interested in adding a drain valve to my wife's Focus. I'll check them out. Thanks!
I learned about Valvomax watching Scotty Kilmer’s YouTube channel. I ordered one to fit the Ranger. I was impressed by the quality and design. Fumoto makes a good valve also.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
On my first oil change, I intended to install the Fumoto valve. I have used Fumoto on 2 previous vehicles and they work great.

Just did my second oil change yesterday and installed the Valvomax drain plug with aluminum crush washer. I like this valve better than the Fumoto and it is made in the US.
No clearance issues with that huge 24MM nut?
I haven't even looked under my Ranger yet but with this Coronavirus putting a damper on our camper travels I might hit 12 months before my first oil change is due.
That does look well built, and I like the idea of buying from a USA Veteran owned company too.

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No clearance issues with that huge 24MM nut?
I haven't even looked under my Ranger yet but with this Coronavirus putting a damper on our camper travels I might hit 12 months before my first oil change is due.
That does look well built, and I like the idea of buying from a USA Veteran owned company too.

No clearance issues with the valve. Torqued with a socket .

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OD of the Ford OEM drain polug measures 1.041 inches. I used a 15/16 inch socket to install. The flat to flat measurement for the socket is 1.087 inches.

I like this drain plug over the Fumoto in that no adapter is needed which adds another potential leakage point and the Valvomax has a secondary seal with the cap and o-ring. The Fumoto valve does not have a secondary seal which is most likely not an issue.

IMG_3361.jpg

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
The OD of the Ford OEM drain polug measures 1.041 inches. I used a 15/16 inch socket to install. The flat to flat measurement for the socket is 1.087 inches.

I like this drain plug over the Fumoto in that no adapter is needed which adds another potential leakage point and the Valvomax has a secondary seal with the cap and o-ring. The Fumoto valve does not have a secondary seal which is most likely not an issue.

IMG_3361.jpg
That looks really clean. You can still use a hose with that right? I found it hard to tell on their website exactly how it works.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller

I like it! Just ordered one. They have a July 4th Promo where if you put the word FREEDOM at checkout you also get a free 12 pack of disposable funnels. I'll check this out and see how it compares to the Fumoto on my Durango.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just pulled the plug (sic) on one from Amazon. $26.03 w/tax, I opted for the plastic hose attachment. I'm cheap and it was on special. ? Will be here Wednesday. This, Rotella at $10.49 for 5 qt and a new wrench from Harbor Freight, I'm all set. New filter of course, had to pay full price for that. Going t change differentials at same time.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Speaking of pulling the plug, I just pulled my plug today and replaced it with the F107N valve plus extension....easy in! It was harder to get to and pull the oil plug, what with having to remove a bash plate and all; next time, with a bit of hose extension, it will be as easy as crawling under and flipping the valve. I put the fumoto on my subaru and loved every oil change. The filter, on the other hand...I made a boo-boo and turned my wheel hard right instead of hard left; no problem popping the plastic clips. Filter turned easy with my old clamp-style filter wrench with a u-jointed handle. Between unplugging, draining, unclipping, valve install, new oil fill and rotating my tires took me an hour of my time and the peace of mind that it was done correctly! Used Motorcraft synthetic blend and FL-910S filter at 4972 miles. Took out 6.2 quarts and put in 6.2 quarts

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Just pulled the plug (sic) on one from Amazon. $26.03 w/tax, I opted for the plastic hose attachment. I'm cheap and it was on special. ? Will be here Wednesday. This, Rotella at $10.49 for 5 qt and a new wrench from Harbor Freight, I'm all set. New filter of course, had to pay full price for that. Going t change differentials at same time.
Did you replace front and rear diff at the time of your first oil change? What about transmission? I seem to be reading that most people who performed "other" fluid changes at the time of their first oil change, found mostly the rear differential was the dirtiest?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Did you replace front and rear diff at the time of your first oil change? What about transmission? I seem to be reading that most people who performed "other" fluid changes at the time of their first oil change, found mostly the rear differential was the dirtiest?
Yes did front and rear diffs, not trans or transfer case. Yes the rear was worst. Did find a machining chip on magnet in rear diff.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Yes did front and rear diffs, not trans or transfer case. Yes the rear was worst. Did find a machining chip on magnet in rear diff.
One more question. Did you take the rear diff pan off or just use the drain plug? Thanks!!

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I had a fumoto on my f150 on eventually went back to the plug. I liked how clean it made oil changes, although slow to drain, it did not seal as well as the plug.
Sponsored