Fuel in oil

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Not really sure. I don’t drive aggressive but not a grandpa with it either. I drive it the same as my 2014 escape with 2L eco boost and in 130000 miles have never had that oil level creep one bit. So not sure why the 2.3 does it. My 2019 had the same issue and I admit I dove that kind of easy that could have contributed to it, but the 22 I drive a lot harder and seems to have the same issue. I do love the sound of the MBRP duals I have on it. ?
I wasn't really thinking of aggressive or abusive behavior, more like to what use the truck was put.
Say for instance extremely short trips or failure to bring the engine to temperature before WOT operation or heavy towing or even feet above sea level.

It would be tough to gather the info, but it might be informative.
Of course it could be just random?? (which I kinda doubt).

OH! the anvil thing was only my feeble attempt at humor! :giggle:
Sponsored

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't really thinking of aggressive or abusive behavior, more like to what use the truck was put.
Say for instance extremely short trips or failure to bring the engine to temperature before WOT operation or heavy towing or even feet above sea level.

It would be tough to gather the info, but it might be informative.
Of course it could be just random?? (which I kinda doubt).

OH! the anvil thing was only my feeble attempt at humor! :giggle:
It’s all good. I been racking my brain over the same questions. I haven’t track down a rhyme or reason that could cause it. The only key things I noticed with my 19 was after they replaced the HPFP it totally stopped for 2000 miles then started again. But never came back as bad as it was after that and was able to make it to my 5000 oil change intervals after that. Thought maybe it had something to do with them having to remove the upper intake to replace the HPFP. But not sure how that would have effected it. I do think the 22 issue is a fuel injector issue. I didn’t see it go up till I let the truck set for 4 days when I was on vacation. A guy in here has a survey he was doing but never seen the results. Would definitely be interesting if anyone ever figures this out.

Reactions: Doc

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I'm hopeful that the 6G Ranger will come with the new 2.3 Ecoboost that has the dual injection (port and direct) fuel system. And further hoping that it will largely eliminate this problem as well as solving the carbon buildup problem on the intake valves.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I thought about that too. It will be interesting to see. My gut is that it stays where it is and doesn’t increase. I think what fuel that is in there now is fully diluted with the oil and won’t evaporate.
Update: 1000+ miles into our trip and oil level is back to normal.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Whelp winter is here and the saga continues. I changed oil in November using oem oil and filter, measured out with a large measuring cup by the quart to ensure the exact amount of oil to ensure I did not overfill. After driving for a week levels were perfect and let it be. Just checked today using the 15 minute wait after shut off recommended In manual. Oil is once again overfull and reeks of gas. I drive minimum 15-20 miles one way and frequently make longer trips. I just drove 120 miles one way last weekend, so if what ford says to be true it should be burning off. With dealers and ford not helping, and a year later no news from ford on fixing this besides saying it’s normal, I’m pretty much done trying to fight ford at this point. I probably will keep it another year or so, but drop it before powertrain warranty expires. After living in a rural area for a bit now, I have realized I need something bigger anyway. I have been eyeing the tundra but I’m a litttle nervous to make the jump. I may wait until the 4 runner comes out as that would suit me pretty well as long as it has a good towing capacity.

edit: I realize this issue does not have immediate consequences as they will pop up down the line after the 5 year warranty. The issue is that a ford engineer, and multiple techs have told me it is an issue and the techs went as So far as to say do not drive it if possible.

Last edited:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I will not go out tonight and smell my oil. I will not go out tonight and smell my oil. I will NOT go out tonight and smell my oil!
The oil in these trucks will never just smell like oil, its the nature of the engine.

My ranger has fuel odor to the oil, just like the ranger i test drove prior to ordering mine. Same as my F150 before it, just like my brothers silverado.

Unless you idle for an hour everyday and never drive more than a mile a day you'll be fine. Btw oil is toxic... shouldnt be fing smelling it anyway.

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
My family has a 2.3 Mustang and a Ranger, No oil issues.
What are we doing different?
I guess the question really is... Are there driver induced causes of this problem?

As a fleet Mechanic, I found that some people could completely destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet.
I have found the Ford liability attorney. "Your honor, our customers are driving their Rangers in a manner the truck was NOT designed for. Some are driving short distances. Some don't drive cross country between oil changes to burn off the fuel. And, can you believe, some drive their trucks in the winter."

Last edited:

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Well I made it to the twist. Got appointment with dealership on 3/14 to have them look at it. I still think I have a leaky injector and only goes up if it sets a few days. But we will let them deal with it. We will see what they find.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The oil in these trucks will never just smell like oil, its the nature of the engine.

My ranger has fuel odor to the oil, just like the ranger i test drove prior to ordering mine. Same as my F150 before it, just like my brothers silverado.

Unless you idle for an hour everyday and never drive more than a mile a day you'll be fine. Btw oil is toxic... shouldnt be fing smelling it anyway.
EXACTLY!

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I think people get there might be a little fuel in their oil but for some it is not just a little fuel.
For some it is rising to the point were it could cause damage.
When I change my oil, it's right at the top of the crosshatches. After a hundred miles or so, its up to the top hole.

Why does it rise? No idea but it doesn't go any higher than that.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
When I change my oil, it's right at the top of the crosshatches. After a hundred miles or so, its up to the top hole.

Why does it rise? No idea but it doesn't go any higher than that.
Do you always check it cold after sitting several hours? Warm oil expands some. Mine stays the same but always smells like gas.