• Total voters

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I just read the thread about this so I decided to check my oil. 13 Mar 2019 build, oil is over the full mark, smells of fuel and seems much to thin. I will be taking it in for a oil change, let the service manager know I am concerned and would like it documented.
Sponsored

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
OP
OP

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I hope you brought this to the dealers attention and contacted Ford corporate.
im not sure how much it has to do with fuel dilution in the oil, but this mixture would normally be routed to the combustion chamber. Direct injection already has issues with fuel dilution in the oil at low engine speeds over time.

OP
OP

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
im not sure how much it has to do with fuel dilution in the oil, but this mixture would normally be routed to the combustion chamber. Direct injection already has issues with fuel dilution in the oil at low engine speeds over time.
The 2 vehicles that I owned with direct injection had NO gas in the oil ever. Even the Buick that had a extended warranty for possible bad fuel pump.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
What oil are you running? Viscosity is sub-par.
Ford, motorcraft 5w40...that was a 2000 mile interval test ( the engine has 5000 plus miles on it)..although within specs, not for 2000 miles, with that fuel dilution. I wouldn’t go over 3000 for an oil change. Did you test yours yet well worth the 28 bucks!
Regards
Doc

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Ford, motorcraft 5w40...that was a 2000 mile interval test ( the engine has 5000 plus miles on it)..although within specs, not for 2000 miles, with that fuel dilution. I wouldn’t go over 3000 for an oil change. Did you test yours yet well worth the 28 bucks!
Regards
Doc
Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions:
A) Why 5W-40?
B) Did your oil smell like fuel and was the level increasing due to fuel dillution?​

I probably will send an oil sample out when I change the oil next time. I'm changing mine at 4,000 mile intervals and using Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W-30. The test would be a good bench mark.

Reactions: Doc

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Owned multiple turbo cars, Volvo, Audi, VW, Focus ST, and F150. All were tuned and all smelled like gas in oil. Never had any issues with fluctuating oil level though. The catch cans on my VW Golf APR Stage 2 and FOCUS ST COBB Stage 2 always had a little gas thinned oil in them after a few months. Ran those cars through hard miles and never had an issues. I don't expect any issues with this either. BTW my ranger is 5Star "Stage 2" with downpipe and intercooler.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions:
A) Why 5W-40?
B) Did your oil smell like fuel and was the level increasing due to fuel dillution?​

I probably will send an oil sample out when I change the oil next time. I'm changing mine at 4,000 mile intervals and using Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W-30. The test would be a good bench mark.
My bad...5w30 motorcraft , dealer service.
Yes dipstick smelled like fuel, so I had it changed, put 2000 miles on it changed and tested.
On this test, there is a 1.5% fuel dilution which I consider excessive for only 2000 miles. Dealer notified.
Although these results are a lot better than most of the tests I’ve seen here.
Regards

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Owned multiple turbo cars, Volvo, Audi, VW, Focus ST, and F150. All were tuned and all smelled like gas in oil. Never had any issues with fluctuating oil level though. The catch cans on my VW Golf APR Stage 2 and FOCUS ST COBB Stage 2 always had a little gas thinned oil in them after a few months. Ran those cars through hard miles and never had an issues. I don't expect any issues with this either. BTW my ranger is 5Star "Stage 2" with downpipe and intercooler.
What oil change mileage interval did you use on your other turbo cars?

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
What oil change mileage interval did you use on your other turbo cars?
3000-5000 depending on if I forgot for a while or not. At 150k maybe this will be an issue. Just before that is when I plan to ditch the ecoboost. I just rolled past 20,000. If it bothers you, try and fix it. Hopefully people's dealers will help out, and if nothing else, getting it on record will be good if engine has issues before warranty expires.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
FWIW I had a full bolt on stratified tuned 17 Focus ST and used amsoil XL series oil. I sent my oil in after a 9k interval and it came back from blackstone passing with flying colors and they even mention I could go over 10k if I wanted too the oil was still in that good of shape. So a boosted car doesnt always mean you will have a bunch of fuel in the oil. Fuel dilution was so low in it was marked TR for "trace". Im running same oil currently in my Ranger and plan on doing a sample at 5k because to me the oil already seems thin and of course reeks of fuel. To me the high fuel dilution is unnaceptable but if it's going to be the case Im running cheap synthetic and doing shorter intervals i guess.

FOCUS ST OIL SAMPLE.jpg

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
what intercooler and down pipe are you using?
Sponsored