Front Seat Headrests - Question

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I have a 2021 Lariat, loaded...but I guess Ford in their wisdom saw fit to just include upper and downer headrests...no tilt.
The replacements for the rear seats (its a Scab) under the recall are tilties.
Tilties with an external pushbutton ?
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Tilties with an external pushbutton ?
Yup...push button. Replaced the non-tilt on the 2021 Ranger SuperCabs. Was a recall as something about the non-tilt gave problems with fitting/securing child seats.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wanderer
Yup...push button. Replaced the non-tilt on the 2021 Ranger SuperCabs. Was a recall as something about the non-tilt gave problems with fitting/securing child seats.
Interesting. Last week my dealer told me there was a bracket behind the seat that may need replacing. They signed off on that recall saying everything was good. My headrests do not tilt.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
It’s a nightmare to tether car seats behind the rear seat in the crew cab. Wish they would do this for us too.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
My 2019 Lariat ratchets as well. Pull it forward, push back, then slowly pull forward for 6 positions.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
My rears were recalled and got the tilters. My fronts don’t tilt, but don’t move by themselves. They stay all the way down. The rears, along with the seat bottoms are stored. The backs of the rear seats are wrapped with a cheap black outdoor tablecloth to protect them from the stuff back there. It’s a two person truck, and the fabric blends with the all black trim back there.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Just curious do your Front Seat headrest's lock in place, I don't have the style that folds forward, I'm just annoyed with both seats. I like the headrest all the way down (comfort position) and while driving the headrest will go up on its own- tried swapping Dr & Pass - No Help
The rods have 3 detents in them but only (1) of them will positively lock the headrest position. (Where you have to press the release button) to move the headrest up or down and of course it's in the full upward position. I see the upper 2 detents have a bevel and the bottom one does not have the bevel (so the positive lock) 
Headrest.jpg

I was just curious are they all this way or does the ones that fold forward have a better design?
My 2020 Lariat built (3/2020) headrests tilt as well. The rear seat headrest did not have a button but there’s a hack for installing a piece of dowel to make an internal button so they’ll tilt.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wanderer
My 2020 Lariat built (3/2020) headrests tilt as well. The rear seat headrest did not have a button but there’s a hack for installing a piece of dowel to make an internal button so they’ll tilt.
That hack works only if the headrest already has the internal tilt mechanism (my 6/2020 build does). The internal tilt mechanism was later removed.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
That hack works only if the headrest already has the internal tilt mechanism (my 6/2020 build does). The internal tilt mechanism was later removed.
That sucks. IMO the non-moveable headrests are always set too far forward and strain the heck out of my neck

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My rears were recalled and got the tilters. My fronts don’t tilt, but don’t move by themselves. They stay all the way down. The rears, along with the seat bottoms are stored. The backs of the rear seats are wrapped with a cheap black outdoor tablecloth to protect them from the stuff back there. It’s a two person truck, and the fabric blends with the all black trim back there.
Same here. Removed the entire seat, backs and bottoms. Got the trim pieces for the rear seat delete and built a doggie platform for dog seats for our 2 kids.
Wish the front's tilted...wife's Subi does and their very comfortable. May try to find a set on flea bay.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
2022 Lariat SuperCab. Front headrests only move up and down, they have no tilt.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I'd be willing to sell the tilting front and rear headrests from my 2019 if the price is right....

;)

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Front Headrest's - I am going to take a look at them and see if I can adjust tension on the rods, they move up on their own by via getting in and out of seat and while driving they will raise easily with little resistance. If I can adjust the (glides) to add some tension to the rods, it will work for me.
Mine seem to be comfortable (tilt wise) and have a decent angle.
There has to be some type of tension adjustment since some of you are reporting they stay in place; I just have to look at it on my day off

Front Tilting Style - I wanted to know if the rods have a different locking design than the pic in post #1. I can't see me needing to tilt the headrest forward. So was curious if the tilting designed ones differ from the non-tilting as far as the height adjustment goes, I may swap them out if they do and cannot adjust the tension on my current ones

Rear Headrests - I also have (Screw) non tilting, I checked mine and I have solid foam, no hole for button, So I placed order today for the Rear Tilting style as another member did and just have to swap my covers over to them and cut out hole for button
I removed my current headrests, for comparison (on rear glass visibility) huge difference, so that was my deciding factor in getting the folding style (down and not blocking view) when not in use (of course.):like:

I know that there are Recalls -(Rear) For Scab - Child Restraint anchor points- Which will swap out the non-folding headrest to folding - But it does not cover the Screw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Front Headrest's - I am going to take a look at them and see if I can adjust tension on the rods, they move up on their own by via getting in and out of seat and while driving they will raise easily with little resistance. If I can adjust the (glides) to add some tension to the rods, it will work for me.
Mine seem to be comfortable (tilt wise) and have a decent angle.
There has to be some type of tension adjustment since some of you are reporting they stay in place; I just have to look at it on my day off

Front Tilting Style - I wanted to know if the rods have a different locking design than the pic in post #1. I can't see me needing to tilt the headrest forward. So was curious if the tilting designed ones differ from the non-tilting as far as the height adjustment goes, I may swap them out if they do and cannot adjust the tension on my current ones

Rear Headrests - I also have (Screw) non tilting, I checked mine and I have solid foam, no hole for button, So I placed order today for the Rear Tilting style as another member did and just have to swap my covers over to them and cut out hole for button
I removed my current headrests, for comparison (on rear glass visibility) huge difference, so that was my deciding factor in getting the folding style (down and not blocking view) when not in use (of course.):like:

I know that there are Recalls -(Rear) For Scab - Child Restraint anchor points- Which will swap out the non-folding headrest to folding - But it does not cover the Screw
AH HA.....Screwed Again !!! :crackup:
Sponsored