Advertisement

Front fenders

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
What material are the front fenders made from? Doesn't seem to be aluminum or steel. Feel like some kind of plastic similar to what the front fascia is made from. The doors sound like metal when you tap on them with a knuckle. Hood is supposed to be aluminum correct?

Advertisement

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The front fenders and hood are aluminum as well as the tailgate.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
The front fenders and hood are aluminum as well as the tailgate.
Are the doors and rear fenders steel then? Ive been curious as well. Would love for more aluminum to prevent the dreaded rust down the road but probably a cost saving measure

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Are the doors and rear fenders steep then? Ive been curious as well. Would love for more aluminum to prevent the dreaded rust down the road but probably a cost saving measure
A magnet will give you a quick answer to what is steel and what isn't.

OP

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
A magnet will give you a quick answer to what is steel and what isn't.
Did the magnet test and as I thought the front fenders are definitely not metal, neither aluminum or steel. I worked in the metal trades as a tool and die maker all my life and I can pretty much tell if something is metal or plastic. Those fenders are plastic. Might be a good question for Phil.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did the magnet test and as I thought the front fenders are definitely not metal, neither aluminum or steel. I worked in the metal trades as a tool and die maker all my life and I can pretty much tell if something is metal or plastic. Those fenders are plastic. Might be a good question for Phil.
Hi Mike,

The hood, front fenders and the tailgate are aluminum. Rest of the body is steel. I adjusted my left front fender to better align with the hood...clearly shows the unpainted post adjustment unpainted semi circle shows metal...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT P-1SC-1 Stage II, 2013 Ford Escape SEL
Vehicle Showcase
The front fenders are indeed aluminum. And cutting a huge hole in your nice aluminum Ranger fender kinda makes your anatomy shrink into your body. :D

2020-08-22 10.04.17.jpg

2020-08-22 10.28.32.jpg

2020-08-22 17.14.40.jpg

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement