Front fenders

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
What material are the front fenders made from? Doesn't seem to be aluminum or steel. Feel like some kind of plastic similar to what the front fascia is made from. The doors sound like metal when you tap on them with a knuckle. Hood is supposed to be aluminum correct?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The front fenders and hood are aluminum as well as the tailgate.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
The front fenders and hood are aluminum as well as the tailgate.
Are the doors and rear fenders steel then? Ive been curious as well. Would love for more aluminum to prevent the dreaded rust down the road but probably a cost saving measure

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Are the doors and rear fenders steep then? Ive been curious as well. Would love for more aluminum to prevent the dreaded rust down the road but probably a cost saving measure
A magnet will give you a quick answer to what is steel and what isn't.

OP
OP
stringbreaker

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
A magnet will give you a quick answer to what is steel and what isn't.
Did the magnet test and as I thought the front fenders are definitely not metal, neither aluminum or steel. I worked in the metal trades as a tool and die maker all my life and I can pretty much tell if something is metal or plastic. Those fenders are plastic. Might be a good question for Phil.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did the magnet test and as I thought the front fenders are definitely not metal, neither aluminum or steel. I worked in the metal trades as a tool and die maker all my life and I can pretty much tell if something is metal or plastic. Those fenders are plastic. Might be a good question for Phil.
Hi Mike,

The hood, front fenders and the tailgate are aluminum. Rest of the body is steel. I adjusted my left front fender to better align with the hood...clearly shows the unpainted post adjustment unpainted semi circle shows metal...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The front fenders are indeed aluminum. And cutting a huge hole in your nice aluminum Ranger fender kinda makes your anatomy shrink into your body. :D

2020-08-22 10.04.17.jpg

2020-08-22 10.28.32.jpg

2020-08-22 17.14.40.jpg

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Well, at some point they clearly switched to steel fenders. My Oct 2021 built Ranger has steel. Now I kind of what to see if I can find aluminum fenders painted Cyber Orange from factory.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well, at some point they clearly switched to steel fenders. My Oct 2021 built Ranger has steel. Now I kind of what to see if I can find aluminum fenders painted Cyber Orange from factory.
Well that was probably to make up for all the weight lost lost from removing features.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Unless you're going for rust-prevention or whatever, you won't find any positives switching back to aluminum. Trust me, the steel is paper thin.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're going for rust-prevention or whatever, you won't find any positives switching back to aluminum. Trust me, the steel is paper thin.
Only advantage is weight, but I'd be curious to know how much lighter the aluminum fenders are. I can't imagine it is that much weight savings.

I'm pretty sure they changed to steel due to availability constraints. Gotta keep the F-150s all aluminum you know! ?

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Only advantage is weight, but I'd be curious to know how much lighter the aluminum fenders are. I can't imagine it is that much weight savings.

I'm pretty sure they changed to steel due to availability constraints. Gotta keep the F-150s all aluminum you know! ?
Well not sure of the exact figures, but my Crew cab ranger weighs the same as my aluminum bodied F150 XL Reg cab did if we ignore the couple hundred pound difference. My F150s body panels were actually thicker than these steel bodied rangers.

I'm surprised they kept the tailgate and hood aluminum tbh.

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this legit? I found this while searching for TSBs. I may have missed this, haven't been on in a while. I have a 2021, but the fenders are definitely aluminum.

RECORD_ID: 3488599
Bulletin Number: SSM 50793
Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A
NHTSA Item Number: 10212124
Date Posted: 05-20-2022
Component Name: 160000 STRUCTURE
Make: FORD
Model: RANGER
Year: 2021
Date Added: 05-24-2022
Summary: The 2021 Ranger front fender material migrated on 22-Apr-2021 from aluminum to steel. Additionally, service replacement fenders for 2019-2022 made of aluminum are no longer available. When replacing a front fender on Rangers built on or aft

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This is legit.

I believe it's about the same timeframe as when the spindles also went from aluminum to steel.

Edit: @Trigganometry pointed out that the spindle change actually occurred about a year earlier.
Sponsored

Last edited: