Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I did that, it was a horrible process, and I ended up without climate control. AFAICT there's no way to predict whether the Ford update will kill your climate screen.
You need to check your as built to know if you'll lose it or not with the update.
Sponsored

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I did that, it was a horrible process, and I ended up without climate control. AFAICT there's no way to predict whether the Ford update will kill your climate screen.
Generally if something like this is going to screw things up, I am the one that will be most affected by it. I guess I got lucky this time...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You need to check your as built to know if you'll lose it or not with the update.
Just curious - what specific value are we looking for? I saw your reference to one bit being the culprit, but I didn't see what key it was stored in.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Grubbing around in byte code using an unsupported third party tool doesn't count, IMO. So while the problem is deterministic, implying that there is a state that can be learned, it's still reasonable to classify it as unpredictable for a typical customer.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Go here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

Run your VIN, check 7D0-04-01 to see if it is: xxxx xx8x xxxx. If so, you'll lose Climate at the moment when you update.
Perfect! Thank you. That was the piece of data I was missing. And yes, I have an 8 there, so I would lose Climate option when doing the update.

Do you know if that is being addressed? I did the "hack" method of upgrading to 3.4, but I kind of wanted to do the "official" build. I guess I could always reset my climate control like I did earlier.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Grubbing around in byte code using an unsupported third party tool doesn't count, IMO. So while the problem is deterministic, implying that there is a state that can be learned, it's still reasonable to classify it as unpredictable for a typical customer.
Actually you don't need to use an "unsupported third party tool" - you can use the Ford as built data:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

I won't say that is simple to do for a non technical person, but at least it is using official Ford tools.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually you don't need to use an "unsupported third party tool" - you can use the Ford as built data:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

I won't say that is simple to do for a non technical person, but at least it is using official Ford tools.
I'll withdraw the third party tool part then, but still maintain that it doesn't exist as a practical matter for a typical customer. :)

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Go here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

Run your VIN, check 7D0-04-01 to see if it is: xxxx xx8x xxxx. If so, you'll lose Climate at the moment when you update.
If you want to save the file in a readable manner, for reference, you can copy (R-click, select all items)(cntrl-C) and paste into an excel spreadsheet using the paste function. I do not know the proper delimiter to use with the import function for an AB file type

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'll withdraw the third party tool part then, but still maintain that it doesn't exist as a practical matter for a typical customer. :)
No it doesn't. But that isn't the point. The point is if your here and reading this then you have that option. Others may may stumble into the problem and find themselves here after the fact or go to their Dealer to get the problem resolved.

FWIW, It sounds to me like this was another bug in 3.3 so there were two choices - fix the bug and have some folks lose Climate when updating to 3.4 or leave the bug for another day. Personally, I believe they did the right thing correcting that bug in 3.4 even though some folks have lost climate control. If you're FORScan savvy it's an easy fix. If not then the dealer (PITA, yes, but fixable).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it doesn't. But that isn't the point. The point is if your here and reading this then you have that option. Others may may stumble into the problem and find themselves here after the fact or go to their Dealer to get the problem resolved.

FWIW, It sounds to me like this was another bug in 3.3 so there were two choices - fix the bug and have some folks lose Climate when updating to 3.4 or leave the bug for another day. Personally, I believe they did the right thing correcting that bug in 3.4 even though some folks have lost climate control. If you're FORScan savvy it's an easy fix. If not then the dealer (PITA, yes, but fixable).
Sounds to me like the multi month "testing" simply didn't uncover the problem.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds to me like the multi month "testing" simply didn't uncover the problem.
Well for whatever reason it wasn't found. No excuses there......

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I did the hack method and had to fi
Perfect! Thank you. That was the piece of data I was missing. And yes, I have an 8 there, so I would lose Climate option when doing the update.

Do you know if that is being addressed? I did the "hack" method of upgrading to 3.4, but I kind of wanted to do the "official" build. I guess I could always reset my climate control like I did earlier.
I did the hack method earlier this year and had to fix the climate control afterwards. After this update I didn't. Don't have my as built right now to check that code, but this was just my experience.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did the hack method and had to fi

I did the hack method earlier this year and had to fix the climate control afterwards. After this update I didn't. Don't have my as built right now to check that code, but this was just my experience.
That makes sense..
A bug in 3.3 that was fixed in 3.4 so when you 1st went to 3.4 the bug occurred and you fixed it. Since it was fixed reloading 3.4 had no effect.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you want to save the file in a readable manner, for reference, you can copy (R-click, select all items)(cntrl-C) and paste into an excel spreadsheet using the paste function. I do not know the proper delimiter to use with the import function for an AB file type
An alternative is to open in a text editor and do a search and replace:
Search for: LABEL="​
Replace with: carriage return​
That will put in PID in a new row starting with the PID ID.

ie,
7A7-01-01"><CODE>0076</CODE><CODE>81DC</CODE><CODE>1497</CODE></DATA><DATA 

7A7-01-02"><CODE>5A11</CODE><CODE>E7F0</CODE><CODE>8275</CODE></DATA><DATA

From there just search for "><CODE and replace with a couple spaces, and continue on with </CODE><CODE and </CODE></DATA><DATA

That gets you here:
7A7-01-01 >0076 >81DC >1497 

7A7-01-02 >5A11 >E7F0 >8275
Sponsored

Last edited: