First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
They do pretty much self align. Rotation around the shock shaft is automatic and the shaft that has the the " nuts " in it freely rotates in the bushing. I suppose there is a possibility you may have something cocked in there sideways/bound up, it does happen. The cure would be to put it in the air and loosen everything WITHOUT removing the parts, make sure nothing is bound up and EVENLY tighten everything back up, my order would be lower strut, upper strut, upper A arm end, axle, sway bar ends and sway bar bushing last.
As I was dozing off I had another thought about the lower mounts.

We used the FP Fox kit instructions which called for 66 lb/ft there. The Fox manual says 50. Could a 16lb overtorque be causing it to bind up maybe?
Sponsored

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
As I was dozing off I had another thought about the lower mounts.

We used the FP Fox kit instructions which called for 66 lb/ft there. The Fox manual says 50. Could a 16lb overtorque be causing it to bind up maybe?
Nope, not the way it's designed, the middle with the bushing does not touch the lower A arm at all. The 2 bolt/Nut ( shaft with 2 holes ) are a fixed distance apart. No matter how much you did/didn't tighten it the bushings ability to move stays the same.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Nope, not the way it's designed, the middle with the bushing does not touch the lower A arm at all. The 2 bolt/Nut ( shaft with 2 holes ) are a fixed distance apart. No matter how much you did/didn't tighten it the bushings ability to move stays the same.
Of course, that makes sense.

This is why I don't fully trust thoughts that come as I'm dozing off.

As of now the plan stand at this.

1. Acquire new hardware as suggested in FP Fox install guide before the weekend. A mission I will begin in the morning.

2. Replace said hardware and re-tourqe Sat. morning.

3. I'm thinking next step if that doesn't solve it will probably be a trip to a 4wd shop that does alignment too.

Can't seem to post the video of my noise.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
I have a feeling when you go through and replace the hardware your funky sound will magically go away.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have heard over the years occasionally a springs position has it rock in the cup and make a clicking sound. Eventually it goes away or rotating the spring (easier said than done) can also resolve the annoyance

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I have a feeling when you go through and replace the hardware your funky sound will magically go away.
I hate to shotgun it like that but I'm stumped.

Stopped by dealership this morning. I'll have the swaybar nuts, upper ball nuts, and axle nuts tomorrow. They claim the tie rod nuts are on back order, gonna try Levittown when I get home.
I have heard over the years occasionally a springs position has it rock in the cup and make a clicking sound. Eventually it goes away or rotating the spring (easier said than done) can also resolve the annoyance
I'll try and check that. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
*****SOLVED*****

Went through everything this morning. Replaced hardware with new from Ford and payed close attention to torque values. No dice. Click/pop was still there, although it had diminished some over the week.

We found that the bottom shaft or pin of the coilover was binding up as it rotated in the mount and popping in, causing the noise. You could feel the bind turning it by hand once we disconnected it from the lower arm. Upon removal of the cir-clips, spacers, and shaft there appeared to be a lack of grease on one side as well as a few shavings. The spherical bearing inside looked good. Cleaned it up, packed it with grease and reassembled. Bind, click, and pop are all gone.

Hopefully it doesn't return. I'm going to contact Fox to see if there's a lower rebuild kit available to have on hand just in case.

In the meantime everything is nice and quiet, tires are getting installed Monday morning, and all is well.
Sponsored