Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I suspect the Australian version has separate lamps/filaments for the stop/turn functions which would impact any comparison.
I'm confused--AEB would flash the brake lights (if anything), not the turn signal.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
It's hard to believe that Ford spent all that time/money coming up with this solution if there were an easier one.
Its even harder to believe that Ford would not have developed a proper wiring harness or a brake controller which would work safely with all safety and operating systems installed on the Ranger.

The harness supplied works perfectly well with all modern aftermarket brake controllers, except when Ford decides to adapt convenient little trinkets like adaptive cruise or AEB to to a product that they offer to the public. They should at least make provisions for these to work safely and properly in conjunction with essential and foundational systems.

They certainly should not offer and sell a 7500 pound tow package then wait a year to inform people that it was both incomplete and dangerous.

Instead of recalling my truck twice over things which were not defective in the first place, maybe they should recall every truck ordered with a tow package and and supply a compatible brake controller.

I don't have adaptive cruise , but I do have AEB.
Guess I'll just have to stay awake and sober while driving and refrain from texting while taking on the driving chores myself.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its even harder to believe that Ford would not have developed a proper wiring harness or a brake controller which would work safely with all safety and operating systems installed on the Ranger.
I'm pretty well convinced that nobody thought this was a problem until lawyers got involved. There were clear photos of trucks with the redarc controller at release, so it seems likely that Ford did all their test towing without the magic aeb widgit. Personally I think if I'm close enough to a collision for aeb to activate while towing a trailer heavy enough to require brakes, I'm screwed anyway because there's no way a heavy trailer is going to stop in time. The only people that could possibly care are lawyers making sure Ford can't get sued because some dipshit was driving too fast and following too close while putting a trailer.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I'm pretty well convinced that nobody thought this was a problem until lawyers got involved. There were clear photos of trucks with the redarc controller at release, so it seems likely that Ford did all their test towing without the magic aeb widgit. Personally I think if I'm close enough to a collision for aeb to activate while towing a trailer heavy enough to require brakes, I'm screwed anyway because there's no way a heavy trailer is going to stop in time. The only people that could possibly care are lawyers making sure Ford can't get sued because some dipshit was driving too fast and following too close while putting a trailer.
This is because you can't "LIKE" more than once.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Mike :like: I have been flip-flopping on this for a bit (am I being unsafe not to use the Ford Brake Controller) and your thoughts in the post are spot on and have convinced me finally that I have nothing to worry about by hooking up a brake controller to the existing 4 wires under the dash. Living in a litigious society where you don't accept responsibility for your own actions creates a hypersensitivity on issues that are small or non-existent. The result is a brake controller that requires you to fish wire through your truck and headliner with a coat hanger :facepalm:. I agree with Floyd we need to like your post more than once!!

Last edited:

Hohensee

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab FX4
Occupation
Startup COO
I read the warnings in the manual. I needed the trailer brake controller installed to tow over 1500 lbs. I was in a hurry to get ready for a vacay so hustled and paid my way out of the problem. I called around to find the Ford Trailer Brake Controller at one dealership. I then had to find another dealer that would install it. That dealer told me the 2021 TBC was a new design, worked better, and integrated with the rest of the truck's systems. It did work great and was integrated with all the fancy tech systems. In retrospect I have one complaint, and one question/observation. Complaint: The 2021 OEM trailer brake controller was >$500 and the install was $800. That's outlandishly high for a trailer brake controller. Observation/question: The manual states you need a trailer brake controller to tow anything over 1500 lbs. You also need the tow package for over 1500 pounds. If both are required, why does Ford sell tow packages without trailer brake controller?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This thread gives me visions of a Tesla in auto pilot towing. What could possibly go wrong? Seriously using adaptive speed control while hauling a trailer doesn’t sound like you have full control of the vehicle. And it has already been said, by the time it does react it’s really to late to do anything about it except pucker up! I’ve done plenty of towing using cruse control but even then I’m still in full control and only when the situation allows for predictable driving. If traffic is heavy to moderate I’m ? % manual control.

Hohensee

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab FX4
Occupation
Startup COO
That is not true, so the rest of the question is irrelevant.
The manual states you need a tow package to tow over 3500 lbs.
That is not true, so the rest of the question is irrelevant.
The manual (page 221) states towing a trailer with brakes, without a trailer brake, could lead to accidents, injury or death. When I called Ford to help me find a trailer brake controller harness, they told me my 2021 didn't have one and I had two choices. Hard wire an after market trailer brake controller into the truck's wiring, or buy their new Ford Ranger integrated Trailer Brake Controller. Splicing into the truck's wiring left me concerned on several fronts (warranty, liability, and time.)

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I just recently had the Ford Ranger model VKB3Z-2C006A Lumen NA electric brake controller installed. I have not had a chance to test it out but I think I am going to like it. It seems pretty slick and easy to use. I still haven't paid for it yet but it should only be about $340 with the install being $150. They cracked the plastic on the side of the entry way so they had to order that. The dealer originally installed another brand not the one I had special ordered especially for the Ranger. So I had them take that out and install the Lumen NA one and install the correct one. I go back this afternoon to pick it up as they got the plastic piece in. I am going camping with my Tent Trailer next week so that will be a good test.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Seems the new redarc one supports this: EBRH-ACCV3-NA
From what's in the manual for the new RedArc v3, it doesn't seem like anything's actually changed in this regard. They mention AEB but the wiring diagram seems to indicate that you would still require something like the Lumen module that Ford's OEM package includes, which is used to source the brake light trigger.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I just recently had the Ford Ranger model VKB3Z-2C006A Lumen NA electric brake controller installed. I have not had a chance to test it out but I think I am going to like it. It seems pretty slick and easy to use. I still haven't paid for it yet but it should only be about $340 with the install being $150. They cracked the plastic on the side of the entry way so they had to order that. The dealer originally installed another brand not the one I had special ordered especially for the Ranger. So I had them take that out and install the Lumen NA one and install the correct one. I go back this afternoon to pick it up as they got the plastic piece in. I am going camping with my Tent Trailer next week so that will be a good test.
Right on - just a heads up though in case it might be confusing to others reading: the VKB3Z-2C006A isn't a Lumen brake controller, but a standard RedArc TowPro Elite brake controller packaged with a Lumen module and harness:

1626123359049.png

In theory the Lumen module could be used with any brake controller, if it could be purchased on its own. All it does is tap the brake lights, sending a 12V signal to the brake controller when the brake lights are on, and 0V otherwise. The wire from the brake pedal works similarly.. it sends 12V when the pedal is pressed, and 0V otherwise. The difference is that the pedal doesn't get pressed when AEB or ACC are the ones trigging the brakes. The brake lights on the other hand, get activated no matter what triggers the brakes.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I read the warnings in the manual. I needed the trailer brake controller installed to tow over 1500 lbs. I was in a hurry to get ready for a vacay so hustled and paid my way out of the problem. I called around to find the Ford Trailer Brake Controller at one dealership. I then had to find another dealer that would install it. That dealer told me the 2021 TBC was a new design, worked better, and integrated with the rest of the truck's systems. It did work great and was integrated with all the fancy tech systems. In retrospect I have one complaint, and one question/observation. Complaint: The 2021 OEM trailer brake controller was >$500 and the install was $800. That's outlandishly high for a trailer brake controller. Observation/question: The manual states you need a trailer brake controller to tow anything over 1500 lbs. You also need the tow package for over 1500 pounds. If both are required, why does Ford sell tow packages without trailer brake controller?
Looks to me that the Ford TBC for 2021 is the same as previous years based on the part number. Interesting that the Ford accessories site now lists it for $527 while Levittown still shows list price of $339 discounted to $280.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manual (page 221) states towing a trailer with brakes, without a trailer brake, could lead to accidents, injury or death
And your mistake is assuming that "trailer brake" implies "trailer brake controller". Every couple of months someone goes full lawyer, complaining that it isn't possible to tow the rated towing capacity with a TBC, and saying Ford lied wah wah wah. When somone points out that there are other solutions (surge brakes come immediately to mind) which provide trailer brakes without an electronic brake controller, they tend to act like it's unpossible to have any kind of trailer other than their own.
Sponsored