Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The module in the kit from Ford is labeled Trailer Lamp ECU. By definition: A trailer Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is a module that controls the lighting signals for trailer lamps. The ECU isolates the vehicle's existing tail lamps circuits and transfers the power to the trailer lamps.
I think "by definition" overstates things quite a bit. :) I don't think it can actually have anything to do with the brake lights on the trailer because that implies that without the "Trailer Lamp ECU" the trailer brake lights wouldn't activate properly even when no brake controller is required--and there's nothing from Ford that suggests that towing a light trailer won't work with the truck as equipped. I personally wouldn't read much more into the name than that it has something to do with a trailer, something to do with a lamp, and has electronics. Beyond that, I'd want a schematic because whoever designed it probably didn't have much to do with naming it.

Is this relevant? ...

Found this in my owners manual, page 198...

Note
:Distance indication and alert
deactivates and the graphics do not display
when adaptive cruise control is active.
No. When adaptive cruise is off there's a little graphic that indicates whether the system detects a car in front of you, and how close you are. When adaptive cruise is on the display still shows whether it detects a car, but the distance indicator now shows the adaptive cruise setting rather than the measured distance. It's just telling you that they used the same display for multiple functions rather than adding more displays.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Today I rigged up a light to my brake controller and I was going to settle this once and for all, by hanging the sheet across my driveway like I promised earlier this week. In the end, I couldn’t bring myself to drive into anything at the 16 mph required to activate the system. Sorry guys.

I did try it on the highway using adaptive cruise, though (a much easier and less risky thing to try), and I can confirm that there is no signal to the brake controller when the truck automatically slows itself with brakes through adaptive cruise.

Well, at least it’s something...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Today I rigged up a light to my brake controller and I was going to settle this once and for all, by hanging the sheet across my driveway like I promised earlier this week. In the end, I couldn’t bring myself to drive into anything at the 16 mph required to activate the system. Sorry guys.

I did try it on the highway using adaptive cruise, though (a much easier and less risky thing to try), and I can confirm that there is no signal to the brake controller when the truck automatically slows itself with brakes through adaptive cruise.

Hi Daniel,

Get yourself a tall traffic cone. Charge that cone at 20 mph...see what happens...if you hit the cone...no damage...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Well I read entire thread and here is my take on this topic. I bought my truck to pull my travel trailer, I bought the Redarc brake controller, took it to ford to connect the controller. They connected the purple wire to brake pedal connection and I have written document. I bought my truck end of February 2019 and Ford had no brake controller available . In my owners manual it say with electric trailer brakes do not tow unless fitted with a compatible aftermarket brake controller. Now I didn’t buy a new truck so I could wait 8 1/2 months for Ford to get off their thumbs to come up with something. I also believe that Ford should either include the trailer lamp ECU that is in their brake controller kit with those that get the tow package from factory or make it available to buy by itself. I towed all summer with my setup and no problems. I hope Ford does a better job launching the Bronco then they did the Ranger. I love my truck and am happy with it

4D74C0AB-6BF8-4985-9827-D503AD308684.png

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I think "by definition" overstates things quite a bit. :) I don't think it can actually have anything to do with the brake lights on the trailer because that implies that without the "Trailer Lamp ECU" the trailer brake lights wouldn't activate properly even when no brake controller is required--and there's nothing from Ford that suggests that towing a light trailer won't work with the truck as equipped. I personally wouldn't read much more into the name than that it has something to do with a trailer, something to do with a lamp, and has electronics.
Being the the oversimplifer and overstater :), just speculating, to add that to my resume, could the trailer ECU module be necessary because the taillights are LED in some models of the Ranger? I know I am reading more into this without any facts. :) Wish Ford would let us know at some point.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect

Daniel: Thanks for doing that. If it doesn’t supply signal during an adaptive cruise braking event then I am confident it doesn’t during an emergency braking event. I ordered the Ford kit on Friday in order to get the wiring harness and light control ECU. I already have the Redarc Pro Elite installed so it should be a simple matter of running the harness to the upper brake light. If all goes well, then the Redarc that comes in the kit will go up on eBay to recoup some of my investment. I am super impressed with the Redarc controller since we have towed our 3500 pound camper multiple times with no issues. Adding the signal source wiring and ECU will prevent a possible problem when I forget to disengage Adaptive Cruise and the Pre-collision system before hitting the road with the camper.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Daniel: Thanks for doing that. If it doesn’t supply signal during an adaptive cruise braking event then I am confident it doesn’t during an emergency braking event. I ordered the Ford kit on Friday in order to get the wiring harness and light control ECU. I already have the Redarc Pro Elite installed so it should be a simple matter of running the harness to the upper brake light. If all goes well, then the Redarc that comes in the kit will go up on eBay to recoup some of my investment. I am super impressed with the Redarc controller since we have towed our 3500 pound camper multiple times with no issues. Adding the signal source wiring and ECU will prevent a possible problem when I forget to disengage Adaptive Cruise and the Pre-collision system before hitting the road with the camper.
I don't have Adaptive Cruise, but regular cruise is deemed OK to run with aftermarket brake controllers.
When you disengage your Adaptive Cruise, you can still use Cruise.
The question remains, why disengage the Pre Collision? It will only operate in an emergency when the driver is texting or sleeping and doesn't use the brake pedal.
Better for the truck to hard brake all by itself than to simply crash at full speed?
Plus AEB precharges the brakes just in case the driver wakes up or finishes texting in time to regain control.

I am still interested in a comprehensive explanation, but I now see the Ford/Redarc controller as having only marginal value for a Ranger without adaptive cruise control.
While conscious application of the brakes would be best, AEB would still precharge and apply the truck brakes, even if it does not apply the trailer brakes.
IllAnnoy only requires brakes on a trailer over 3000 pounds, Anything larger...at least keep your distance and pay attention.

Last edited:

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I don't have Adaptive Cruise, but regular cruise is deemed OK to run with aftermarket brake controllers.
When you disengage your Adaptive Cruise, you can still use Cruise.
The question remains, why disengage the Pre Collision? It will only operate in an emergency when the driver is texting or sleeping and doesn't use the brake pedal.
Better for the truck to hard brake all by itself than to simply crash at full speed?
Plus AEB precharges the brakes just in case the driver wakes up or finishes texting in time to regain control.

I am still interested in a comprehensive explanation, but I now see the Ford/Redarc controller as having only marginal value for a Ranger without adaptive cruise control.
While conscious application of the brakes would be best, AEB would still precharge and apply the truck brakes, even if it does not apply the trailer brakes.
IllAnnoy only requires brakes on a trailer over 3000 pounds, Anything larger...at least keep your distance and pay attention.
Yes I know that regular cruise is available when Adaptive is turned off. The pre-collision is disengaged to prevent a surprise automatic braking event. I have had a couple of events when not towing that were totally unwarranted in my opinion, so I don’t totally trust the system.

The thing is, why not enjoy using adaptive cruise and not be overly concerned that an emergency braking event might cause a jack knife of your rig when you don’t have to. I am always more alert when towing but you never know when something strange might surprise you and cause problems.

I agree that “some” truck braking is better than nothing, but it is not optimal. Why wouldn’t I add the Ford wiring harness and light ECU to ensure compatibility with the safety systems if it will only cost about $100 out of pocket. Makes no sense not to do it, even though Ford should have included it on the truck to begin with.

I thought you might enjoy the bold text in my last line.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Why wouldn’t I add the Ford wiring harness and light ECU to ensure compatibility with the safety systems if it will only cost about $100 out of pocket. Makes no sense not to do it, even though Ford should have included it on the truck to begin with.
Dang you Jerry, I was convincing myself that it was no big deal to hook a brake controller to the supplied 4 wires and not go with the New Ford brake controller. Then you used the words to the effect like not a huge cost and makes the truck safer in a braking event and the words makes sense to do it. Okay okay you convinced me. That and my brother in law works for the dealership, I get a good parts discount, and the flat rate for the install is listed as $85.00.

I appreciated your post as it made me rethink what I was planning to do :like:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Dang you Jerry, I was convincing myself that it was no big deal to hook a brake controller to the supplied 4 wires and not go with the New Ford brake controller. Then you used the words to the effect like not a huge cost and makes the truck safer in a braking event and the words makes sense to do it. Okay okay you convinced me. That and my brother in law works for the dealership, I get a good parts discount, and the flat rate for the install is listed as $85.00.

I appreciated your post as it made me rethink what I was planning to do :like:
I don't think there's any reason to change your controller. Just reroute your brake signal wire to be the CHMSL line instead of the provided trailer line.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think there's any reason to change your controller. Just reroute your brake signal wire to be the CHMSL line instead of the provided trailer line.
I think you really, really don't want to do that without the module Ford added...

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
This is the trouble with buying a first run vehicle or a new gadget. I am sure that aftermarket will get up to speed some day, until then Ford is the only choice, if you want to have all your gadgets work.

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Shelby GT350
I've been following this thread for awhile, going back and forth in my head convincing myself one moment that the aftermarket Redarc wired under the dash is fine - then the next moment convincing myself that the Ford Redarc wired to the upper lamp is the way to go. My head is a pretzel from this. The one question I have yet to see answered is this... Isn't there a wire under the dash or a heck of a lot closer to to under the dash than all the way back to the upper lamp that could be used? I feel like there must be something closer that can be tapped into that doesn't require tearing apart the headliner.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been following this thread for awhile, going back and forth in my head convincing myself one moment that the aftermarket Redarc wired under the dash is fine - then the next moment convincing myself that the Ford Redarc wired to the upper lamp is the way to go. My head is a pretzel from this. The one question I have yet to see answered is this... Isn't there a wire under the dash or a heck of a lot closer to to under the dash than all the way back to the upper lamp that could be used? I feel like there must be something closer that can be tapped into that doesn't require tearing apart the headliner.
It's hard to believe that Ford spent all that time/money coming up with this solution if there were an easier one.

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
For the Australian version of the ranger this actually went the other way--traditionally you'd hook the brake controller to the light, and they specifically to stop doing that when AEB came out (I think they even said it was because of the possibility that the lights would be flashing). Makes me suspect that in Australia they figured that hooking the brake controller to the brake pedal was sufficient, but in America the lawyers decided that they'd get sued if the trailer brakes didn't activate when AEB went off. (And the lawyers didn't get involved until it was too late to implement something more sensible than the nutty solution they're selling now.)
I suspect the Australian version has separate lamps/filaments for the stop/turn functions which would impact any comparison.
Sponsored