Reese Compact Brake Controller Install

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
Hello fellow Ranger folks. I finally got around to installing a brake controller. I used this unit for a year on my SS with zero issues, so I figured why not just install the same plug-n-play set up on the Ranger.

The wiring went as followed:
Ranger side: Controller side:
White White (ground)
Blue (some Rangers have Black/green) Blue (trailer brake output)
Violet/white Red (brake on/off)/(cold side of stoplight switch)
Yellow/red Black (power)

I installed it under the steering wheel which still allows for full telescoping movement and about 1" of up and down movement. We are not leaving it installed all the time (hence the quick disconnect harness). We only tow 5-6 times per year and it will take about 90 seconds to plug in the harness and screw in the two side screws. In this location, it seems less likely that I will hit my knee on it during entry and exit.

Here is the $5 connector I used in order to have the quick disconnect option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZWEHPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

View attachment 6197

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I don't like messing with the new wiring harnesses, I opted for the Bluetooth to smart phone version.

Echo Smart Controller.jpeg

Crash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xl stx
Occupation
Tree killer
I don't like messing with the new wiring harnesses, I opted for the Bluetooth to smart phone version.

Echo Smart Controller.jpeg
How’s it working for you? Been thinking about this setup myself.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
How’s it working for you? Been thinking about this setup myself.
It works very well. I'm only pulling a smalll aluminum trailer with the Harley Tri Glide on it (2000# total), but, the trailer has brakes so what the heck, might as well use them.. It does a great job controlling the brakes. It is mega adjustable and you can set up five trailers. I only have the one with brakes, but the option is there. My buddy who owns a trailer repair shop, recommended this. He pulls a huge RV with his one ton Ford 1 ton and he highly recommended it.

You do need a phone mount where you can reach the phone if you need to manually apply just the trailer brakes. It does keep your screen on while you use the app, for obvious reasons, so I use a charging mount.

The only negative I see is that on a longer trip, where I spend the night somewhere or if I leave my rig unattended for awhile, I might want to unplug it and lock it up. At three hundred dollars, some one who notices it might feel obligated to steal it. I think I may make a short cable to "lock" it to the truck. Would give me piece of mind about keeping the honest people honest, and keep it secure if it wiggled out. As a side note, you get a warning if that happens. My insurance would call that making a good faith attempt to secure it, and it would be covered if lost or stolen.

All in all, it's a great little device and if you ever trade your vehicle, you take it with you. I had this on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I traded the jeep, it came with me.
Sponsored