Ford Ranger PHEV Out Next Year, Coming To U.S

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I was in a PHEV Volt just prior my Ranger and it was a phenomenal vehicle. Awesome fuel economy, gobs of torque, very quiet and fun to drive.
Sponsored

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
as long as it's got 30-35 range on EV only and retains the current engine and then acts like a real hybrid while towing vs just enhanced HP and TQ ALA new tocoma I will trade up year 1 with 7year bumper to bumper. my comutte is 18 miles each day with access to to plugs at my work not to mention a L2 40amp already in my garage for my wife's Bolt EUV. I also tow quite a bit so this would be super helpful
How do employers treat this come tax time? !099?
Or maybe they don't know that you gave yourself a raise.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
The more I think about this the more I am going to pre-order as soon as that is an option. I am sure it will take a few years for them to show up a anyway. LMS tuner available for sale sooonnnishh?

Might get another color besides black... last car of 7 years was black and I didn't have much in the way of options on the Ranger. Weirdly bright green (Hyundais Lime Rock green on the genesis) was the best color car Ive owned that never looked dirty. Just changed shade of green. Rain, pollen, etc.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
I would like a PHEV as much as the next person but literally concessions will need to be made....we're talking rangers here but also can lump Maverick into this discussion.

With regards to pickup trucks in general but as it pertains to "Power boost" hybrid (yes I know we're talking about PHEV's here) Battery packs weigh quite a bit...as a result payload and towing capacity drop off significantly.

Powerboost hybrid employs a fairly small battery which allows the F150 to maintain desirable payload and towing abilities.

Now if we take the Ranger and Maverick and assume a "Power boost" hybrid type of system (also add AWD to the Maverick) then payload and towing capacity should only be mildly affected and range probably increased (with obviously a heavier reliance on gasoline).....but if we start getting into plugin hybrids that means a significantly larger battery pack and I'd assume range would be greatly increased (range on EV alone even) but your payload will probably drop quite a bit from the current 7500lbs towing capacity and (avg payload rating around 1600/1700lbs for the RANGER)

Thats the trade off in considering a PHEV Ranger at least for me .....can I concede a drop in towing capacity and payload for lighter loads but increased driving range.

NY35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zamboni
If Hybrid Maverick sales take rate are any indicate, PHEV Ranger is going to sell like hotcakes!

NY35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zamboni
So then will we also see a full EV Ranger for the 6th gen?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I would like a PHEV as much as the next person but literally concessions will need to be made....we're talking rangers here but also can lump Maverick into this discussion.

With regards to pickup trucks in general but as it pertains to "Power boost" hybrid (yes I know we're talking about PHEV's here) Battery packs weigh quite a bit...as a result payload and towing capacity drop off significantly.

Powerboost hybrid employs a fairly small battery which allows the F150 to maintain desirable payload and towing abilities.

Now if we take the Ranger and Maverick and assume a "Power boost" hybrid type of system (also add AWD to the Maverick) then payload and towing capacity should only be mildly affected and range probably increased (with obviously a heavier reliance on gasoline).....but if we start getting into plugin hybrids that means a significantly larger battery pack and I'd assume range would be greatly increased (range on EV alone even) but your payload will probably drop quite a bit from the current 7500lbs towing capacity and (avg payload rating around 1600/1700lbs for the RANGER)

Thats the trade off in considering a PHEV Ranger at least for me .....can I concede a drop in towing capacity and payload for lighter loads but increased driving range.
You are correct, tow rating and payload rating will have to be decreased some just as they are for the Ranger Raptor.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct, tow rating and payload rating will have to be decreased some just as they are for the Ranger Raptor.

Right....outside of having a deep wallet....it will be up to the people to choose..

Incoming Ranger Raptor has a towing capacity of 5500 lbs vs 7500 for standard

For some 5500 is plenty enough...on the other hand you shell out that kind of money and you lose out 2000lbs even with having 100hp and 100ft+ lbs more torque

That's about where I'd imagine a PHEV Ranger to come in at on towing ratings....Maverick awd PHEV if such a thing ever exists I could see dropping to 1500 / 2000lbs

On an unrelated topic regarding the Ranger Raptor I was getting an oil change the other day and I asked the salesman if he had pricing yet (Canada) on the 2024 rangers....didn't have the ability to configure to taste yet but I asked where the Ranger Raptor is......starting @$73,000 cdn not configured with any packages or add-ons yet.....needless to say I won't be worried about the Raptors towing capacity or any other ability it has....empty pockets

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
For some 5500 is plenty enough...on the other hand you shell out that kind of money and you lose out 2000lbs even with having 100hp and 100ft+ lbs more torque
I get it, but tow rating involves a lot more than just HP and torque. The Raptor's tire size, suspension, heavier frame and likely numerous other issues all come into play just as many things will for a Ranger PHEV.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get it, but tow rating involves a lot more than just HP and torque. The Raptor's tire size, suspension, heavier frame and likely numerous other issues all come into play just as many things will for a Ranger PHEV.
They sure will

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
If they are going to go PHEV then I'd expect something on the order of the 14.4 kwh packs used in the Escape PHEV. That pack weighs 6-700 lbs full of coolant so the hit to payload/towing will be there. I'm not sure you would get an all electric mode if the reuse the hybridized 10spd from the F150 as the 40 horse electric motor is a little anemic for a 5k pound truck. They might go with a purpose built longitudinal ECVT based on what has been used in the fusion/cmax/escape/maverick which would give all electric mode and possibly ~20 miles of all electric range.

Even with an all electric mode I'm not sure that the increase in fuel economy would offset the price increase the PHEV would cost as it will likely be at least $6k over a non-phev. You'd have to drive 48k miles plus with gas at $5 an gallon and electricity at .25 a kwh to break even. Some would do that in a reasonable timeframe, some would not.

Now for those that like to do camping/overlanding the hybrid (if Ford offers pro power onboard) would be attractive for powering creature comforts, or being a more useful work vehicle for people working in the trades.
Sponsored