First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It looks like the Bronco could/will get a facelift in 2024 with a PHEV motor. Now it looks like there's an even better chance that the 6G Ranger will follow suite seeing as they're built together at MAP. I really hope so because this really fits my driving style (shorter trips) than a full EV right now. As much as I want a Ranger Raptor this will be way more practical and I'll get 100% use of it where as the Raptor would see a good amount of off road but never what's it's capable of.

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/ford/ford-bronco-hybrid-bronco-sport-hybrid/

The reasonable, and dare we say, the logical expectation for the Ford Bronco Hybrid (which shares its ladder-frame construction with the Ranger pickup) is the sharing of electrical hardware with the F-150 and Explorer hybrids. A 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 engine with an electric motor and a modular 10-speed transmission was expected to go under the Ford Bronco Hybrid. Combined with a 47 hp electric motor from the F-150, a healthy system output of 450 hp was expected on the Ford Bronco Hybrid.

Now that the owner’s manual hints at a plug-in hybrid powertrain, the electrified Bronco could allow customers to use the EV mode to cover a whole day’s drive without emissions. Ford could offer the Bronco Plug-in Hybrid with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine and the 35 kW motor of the F-150 Powerboost full-hybrid. The total system horsepower could be close to 350 hp, and the battery pack may allow a practical EV range of about 40 miles.
Sponsored

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I’d want a phev but what I use the truck for wouldn’t be beneficial. I wonder how much weight it’ll add to the truck? And the raptor, who doesn’t want one but again I could use payload more than a cushy rear suspension.
now that 2.7 option is interesting but I don’t think it’s worth it buying a new vehicle again for a little boost of power that I’ll probably never need.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I'm with ya, Dave. A PHEV Ranger would be perfect for me. I live in a smaller town of about 50,000 so even across town is a fairly short trip. 40-50 miles on EV only would amazing.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like the Bronco could/will get a facelift in 2024 with a PHEV motor. Now it looks like there's an even better chance that the 6G Ranger will follow suite seeing as they're built together at MAP. I really hope so because this really fits my driving style (shorter trips) than a full EV right now. As much as I want a Ranger Raptor this will be way more practical and I'll get 100% use of it where as the Raptor would see a good amount of off road but never what's it's capable of.

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/ford/ford-bronco-hybrid-bronco-sport-hybrid/
That would be awesome if they did this. It makes it a little more likely that the 6G will come with PHEV as an option I think. This is for sure the one thing that would get me to trade my 2019.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I like this idea, too. PHEV makes sense for most people for foreseeable future. Will take a long time for battery technology and infrastructure to improve. Don’t believe me? Look at battery tech and charging infrastructure from 10 years ago. Hardly any improvement. More charging stations but more cars. Take a road trip with an EV on a busy weekend (or during a natural disaster) and let me know how much fun you had. And batteries are going to get more expensive, not cheaper when demand spikes with ICE phase out. So a small battery that you can charge at home with a gas engine backup for road trips is the way to go.

So good on ford for giving us this option. I might bite if the 6g was an evolution of the ranger and not a shrinky dink f150.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That would be awesome if they did this. It makes it a little more likely that the 6G will come with PHEV as an option I think. This is for sure the one thing that would get me to trade my 2019.
Same here Rob. I added an extended warranty to get me though a few years with mine to see what Ford will have available here. If this does come out (which it looks like it will) I'll most likely trade in my classic 2019. I might have to strip some of the deleted items off it first. You never know what they'll be worth one day. ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm with ya, Dave. A PHEV Ranger would be perfect for me. I live in a smaller town of about 50,000 so even across town is a fairly short trip. 40-50 miles on EV only would amazing.
I live in an area a little more than double that size. But everything you need is right here so most of our trips are short ones, 3-6 miles. The job I'm doing now is the farthest one I've done in a long time and it's 22.5 miles each way. Most jobs are an average of 10-12 miles so a PHEV would be perfect. Of course by the time it comes out I'll be retired but still it'll be the perfect combo especially with a 40 mile range.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’m keeping an eye on any possible PHEV as well - having the EV option for those shorter trips in the city or the suburbs that beat the heck out my gas mileage would be great. Even those quick runs into town while at the cottage would be less stress on the wallet.

Having my current Ranger is like having a really good job - I’m not actively looking to make a move, but if something with more opportunity that paid a bit better came along, I’d be on it.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm guessing that all the 2024 models leveraging the 2.3 engine will get the revised direct/port injection technology. Pair that with a PHEV and it could be cool. I'm hoping the Bronco in general is obtainable by then, but will wait and see.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Yessssssss

Seriously, this would be a perfect solution for many who have range phobia on EV's.

A electric motor for puttering to get groceries or work, and gas motor for longer trips... Pair this with regenerative technologies and you have a great solution for most people.

I know when I ordered my ranger I told the partner (gf) I wish I could afford the f150 powerboost. The majority of our tasks could be accomplished in electric mode.... Guess I may be trading my ranger in sooner than she would like...