First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
It's official the Ranger will get a PHEV next year! No waiting until 2025 like Ford originally said which will be great. While I love my new Tremor I'm really interested to see this new PHEV Ranger. I wouldn't buy the first year but by the second or even third I might be ready for one depending on the distance.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/06/ford-ranger-phev-out-next-year-coming-to-u-s-report/
Like the Maverick hybrid they will probably use an Atkinson motor. The eCVT is a simplified transmission. Not to be confused with previous rubber band type CVTs. The big question is if it will be offered in AWD? The Maverick hybrid is only offered in FWD.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Like the Maverick hybrid they will probably use an Atkinson motor. The eCVT is a simplified transmission. Not to be confused with previous rubber band type CVTs. The big question is if it will be offered in AWD? The Maverick hybrid is only offered in FWD.
No, it will be the same 2.3 Ecoboost we currently know and love. It won't be a CVT, instead it will be the same hybrid system that is in the F-150 Powerboost and the Explorer hybrid. Here is an overview of it:

https://www.autonews.com/awards/2021-schaeffler-hybrid-module

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Yeah ok, ecoboost makes no sense for hybrid unless you have a dual transmission which they don’t… can you explain why or how ecoboost makes sense?
I read the link but it’s for RWD, will there be a 4WD or AWD is the question.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I’m really curious to see if they do use the 2.3L and the Electronic Hybrid 10 speed transmission from the F150. Also wondering what changes that will be made to the 2.3L to address the potential fuel dilution problems that other OEMs have with turbocharged engines in their PHEV’s ( yes, it’s a thing). Fords only US PHEV uses the 2.5NA engine with a Ecvt trans. But the ROW Explorer PHEV uses the 3.0L EcoBoost V6 engine with an electric motor, generator, and 13.6 kWh lithium-ion battery to produce 450 horsepower and 608 pound-feet of torque. Now that would be something to behold seeing its the same 3.0L engine that the Ranger Raptor uses. 🤔

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I’m excited about a PHEV, but I wish it would look more like this Raptor with a steel bumper,
1685841753862.png

Rather than this Lariat with the plastic bumper covers. It will likely be this configuration though.

1685841798522.png

Nomadjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah ok, ecoboost makes no sense for hybrid unless you have a dual transmission which they don’t… can you explain why or how ecoboost makes sense?
It seems to me there are two approaches to a hybrid power train. First you can use it to boost an otherwise anemic ICE engine in such a way that acceleration is tolerable or even good, an examples of this is the Maverick and there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. The other is to prevent you from even using a powerful ICE engine during the times that it's the least efficient, an example of this is the F-150 Powerboost that uses the 3.5 twin turbo. It will be a little interesting to see which approach Ford takes with the Ranger but my bet is on the latter since I'm not aware of a front engine-rear drive power train used by Ford in NA less powerful than the 2.3 Ecoboost.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
It seems to me there are two approaches to a hybrid power train. First you can use it to boost an otherwise anemic ICE engine in such a way that acceleration is tolerable or even good, an examples of this is the Maverick and there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. The other is to prevent you from even using a powerful ICE engine during the times that it's the least efficient, an example of this is the F-150 Powerboost that uses the 3.5 twin turbo. It will be a little interesting to see which approach Ford takes with the Ranger but my bet is on the latter since I'm not aware of a front engine-rear drive power train used by Ford in NA less powerful than the 2.3 Ecoboost.
Are you saying twin turbo or twin scroll turbo? Big difference…

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
If my current Ranger changes my mind by staying calm with the weird stuff - this might be my next ride. Assuming it keeps the 2.3t at the same power levels it has now... or more with the electric stuff helping out.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read the link but it’s for RWD, will there be a 4WD or AWD is the question.
I believe it means rear wheel drive longitudinally mounted ICE as opposed to a front wheel drive transversely mounted ICE.

The Ranger PHEV will have the same 4WD capability as the regular Ranger. The 10-speed modular hybrid transmission easily accommodates a transfer case setup. This is how it works in the F-150 powerboost and the Ranger PHEV will be the same.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by dual transmission?

The F-150 Powerboost (a hybrid) is an Ecoboost and so is the Explorer hybrid and the Explorer PHEV.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
It's official the Ranger will get a PHEV next year! No waiting until 2025 like Ford originally said which will be great.
you already forgot about the Bronco roll out?
Sponsored