Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Anybody feel like going on a tangent?

So the PowerBoost - is it a true PHEV? My understanding was the P stood for Plug-In, and that PHEV vehicles could go a considerable distance on electric-only mode and have a separate charging port. Example is the Prius Prime, can go 40 miles on electric range alone before it goes hybrid.

Powerboosts seem to have a plug in the back so that they can power other things with the battery pack - but they don't seem to be able to draw power to charge themselves from that plug.

I looked on Powerboost forums and it seems to be full of owners complaining that they seem to never go anywhere on electric-only mode, and that the vehicle seems to behave more like a full Hybrid. The vehicle is classified as a Hybrid and not as a PHEV by google as well...

So if they made a Ranger PHEV that is a true plug-in, I'd be all over it. If it were just a Hybrid - then meh.
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

So the PowerBoost - is it a true PHEV? My understanding was the P stood for Plug-In, and that PHEV vehicles could go a considerable distance on electric-only mode and have a separate charging port. Example is the Prius Prime, can go 40 miles on electric range alone before it goes hybrid.

Powerboosts seem to have a plug in the back so that they can power other things with the battery pack - but they don't seem to be able to draw power to charge themselves from that plug.

I looked on Powerboost forums and it seems to be full of owners complaining that they seem to never go anywhere on electric-only mode, and that the vehicle seems to behave more like a full Hybrid. The vehicle is classified as a Hybrid and not as a PHEV by google as well...

So if they made a Ranger PHEV that is a true plug-in, I'd be all over it. If it were just a Hybrid - then meh.
The f150 is just a giant truck with tiny little battery.

It is 2.4 kw battery, vs the lightning which is >90kw... And ~230 miles....

So, that means if the f150 had the same effeciency as the electric it could go ~5 miles on full electric.

Edit: and those numbers are considering you're driving miss daisy around town with an empty truck.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4

my boss has a powerboost F150 and it might toodle around the parking lot on electric only, but that's the extent of it.

like you, my preference for a hybrid ranger would be PHEV, and not vanilla hybrid. Seems to me that hybrid tech is mature enough that any new hybrid should be PHEV nowadays.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
The hardest thing for me will be parting with my current Ranger when I replace him with a PHEV. I never speak of it around him.

Dave, I think you should start working on those more important things. I'll never cave like Terry (@FoD)
Hmmm?, Yeah, but I didn't get rid of my truck either ?

...after taking the bed off as an excuse not to!!! ?

Last edited:

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There’s a link within that article to a possible 2025 Ranger PHEV that I hadn’t seen before ?
That's what I'm really hoping comes out, I want to make a decision soon as to what truck I'll be buying next. With all the delays and constraints it will most likely take a while once ordered and the PHEV Ranger is at the top of my list. But I won't wait years to get one as I want to retire soon and I want another truck for my last large business write off.