PHEV Ranger

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Have to give Ford kudos for preparing the owners manual several yrs ahead of a PHEV product launch - now let's see when an actual product is launched. The owner's manual dept is clearly on top of their game or maybe it was their final act prior to be being part of the workforce reduction.
Sponsored

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning
I'm hopeful for them to come out with the release of the 24 ranger in the US.
PHEV would be best of both worlds for many.

I wonder how this would affect tuning options. I still like to mess with my vehicles, and if I can't tune it to get more power / make it more fun to drive (while using the gas engine), I may have to go gas only.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Don't those of us who take mostly short trips already have to plug in our Rangers to keep the battery charged? ? :LOL:
I'm considering a phev to replace our Edge when the time comes but will keep the Ranger for at least another 7 years. Would take a long time to recoup the costs of replacing it sooner.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I use my Ranger for hunting, work, deer lease, date night, grocery runs, towing, long distance towing, road trips, off road, for everything really, so a phev would be perfect!!

I would hate to take a hit on payload and towing capabilities though.

2022 xlt fx2

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm hopeful for them to come out with the release of the 24 ranger in the US.
PHEV would be best of both worlds for many.

I wonder how this would affect tuning options. I still like to mess with my vehicles, and if I can't tune it to get more power / make it more fun to drive (while using the gas engine), I may have to go gas only.
Tuning options will decrease. The 6g Ranger will likely use their new architecture where they can update your calibration "over the air". F150 is using that technology now and only a few tuning partners including Whipple and Roush have been invited to the club to play. We'll probably see forscan rendered useless as well I would imagine.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I think VW has already spilled the beans on the Ranger PHEV. They stated they won't clone the Ranger PHEV to an Amarok PHEV because they think the Ranger PHEV's EV range is to short. My bet is the EV range will be similar (or a little less) than the Ford Escape PHEV which is 37 EV miles.

There has been lots of articles on the PHEV Ranger describing it as the 2.3 we know and love combined with the battery and electric motor to produce 360 HP and 501 lb-ft of torque. It will most likely be a similar design to the F-150 PowerBoost where the electric motor is sandwiched between the 2.3 and the 10 speed transmission. Articles have speculated that the reason the 6G's wheelbase was stretched was to accommodate this.

I'm really looking forward to this PHEV with the Pro Power Onboard generator. It will be the perfect backup power for the house and should be great for towing the boat.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
It looks like the Bronco could/will get a facelift in 2024 with a PHEV motor. Now it looks like there's an even better chance that the 6G Ranger will follow suite seeing as they're built together at MAP. I really hope so because this really fits my driving style (shorter trips) than a full EV right now. As much as I want a Ranger Raptor this will be way more practical and I'll get 100% use of it where as the Raptor would see a good amount of off road but never what's it's capable of.

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/ford/ford-bronco-hybrid-bronco-sport-hybrid/
I got some PHEV on my finger and had to use 303 to get it off .

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I got some PHEV on my finger and had to use 303 to get it off .
See Doc it really works! I knew I would get you to try 303 one way or another. ?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I traded my Chevy Volt PHEV to get into the Ranger, and it was a fantastic car. No range anxiety, lots of torque, and very fun to drive. I'd get about 40 miles on a charge straight outta the wall plug - no special electrical work needed- and it would cost about $1.30 to fully charge it. If I didn't plug in or went out of town the small gas engine acted as a generator to provide electricity for the battery. And when the gas engine was needed the car still got about 45 mpg. It was like a self charging Tesla. That was a much more practical use of EV technology in my opinion. Less stress on the grid, and if getting people away from ICE vehicles is the goal, it's a good way to go.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Survey shows millenials craving non existant EV, can't go places with something that isn't real , excepting CO and OR where magic mushrooms are a real thing.

https://insideevs.com/news/624081/toyota-tacoma-ev-voted-no-2-in-survey-even-though-it-doesnt-exist/
Was thinking maybe the survey responders liked an EV Taco in the hope of avoiding the ugly front grills on the Tundra.

The article calls it "autolist's annual EV truck survey" and provides scant backup info except the delineation of choices by generation. I saw another survey reporting Americans opinions on whether they were favorable to EVs, IIRC about 35% were but many said they felt the gov should be providing more assistance, when informed about the incentives in the inflation reduction act to facilitate EV purchases most were unaware.

On here I recall some were opposed to incentives on EV purchases, but I wonder if that sentiment would extend to PHEV purchases. And to those opposed to EVs based on environment grounds (lith-ion production) - does that sentiment extend to PHEVs ? And let's not forget the grid as some contend that it's so overloaded that any increased demand will be it's demise.

Reactions: Doc

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
A couple of observations.
We have a 2023 Escape PHEV on order for the wife’s ride. Perfect fit for her driving habits.
I would be all over a Ranger PHEV Tremor after riding along with a Jeep 4xe and seeing it’s “electric” capability off road. Tow capacity would be critical for me though.
Fords PHEV’s currently don’t use a ecoboost motor. They use a NA 2.5 engine (under 200 so I don’t see that being practical in the Ranger. So most likely they would use the 3.3NA like in the Explorer hybrid or the 3.5 PowerBoost that’s in the F150 hybrid seeing they are established already. I know which one I would want ?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Only if it's a SCAB and the GFC can swap over and then it wouldn't be a difficult decision. but all this talk of no SCABs has me worried i might have to get a toyota??

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
YES!!!! even if it's not a SCAB.
Wife does 15 miles round trip each day, perfect. Were about to retire, so will do mostly
short trips. We do want to get a TT, so it needs to pull 4/5k lbs.
Don't need 4x4 but they only sell 4x4 up here at the moment.
I talked to a guy who had a PHEV Mitsu & he said he did 2,000km on no gas once. Cool!
As for EV, well, I really like the idea but I don't see fast recharging & long distance until, 2030?
As for where your getting the power from, a cabon generator? Not to mention how devastating
the minning is for the rare earth stuff. People don't like the tar sands, they should go look at
minning for rare earth & the energy requiredall the way up the chain(I don't think it's green).
Back to PHEVs, for most people in the subburbs, I think it would be ideal, not so much in fly
over country.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I priced out a 23 escape hpev today as it would be on our shortlist. Holy crap, $42k! Way more than I paid for the Ranger. Can only hope the price drops by the time we are ready but like taxes, they will probably never go down.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I priced out a 23 escape hpev today as it would be on our shortlist. Holy crap, $42k! Way more than I paid for the Ranger. Can only hope the price drops by the time we are ready but like taxes, they will probably never go down.
I like the ST Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

1669936611184.png
Sponsored