First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
telecommunications
As long as the power pack has been out, it is frustrating that I cannot find an apples-to-apples comparison of the benefits this modification provides. I may have missed something so correct me if I have. I am looking for a before and after 0 to 60 and 1/4 time comparison between a stock new Ford Ranger running 93 octane and a K&N filter and the same Ford Ranger with the power pack installed, running 93, 0 to 60, and 1/4 mile.

They claim impressive horsepower and torque gains, but are these total output gains, or or they an increase at certain rpm's but not total? if the reported numbers are total output gains we would see noticeable 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times.

I am sure comparing stock 87 octane/paper filter performance with the power pack running 93 octane and a K&N filter, you will see an improvement. However, it is proven that simply changing to 93 octane and a K&N, makes a big difference after the computer adjusts to the higher octane and slightly freer flowing intake.

I suspect that the stated performance gains of the power pack come mostly from the ongoing use of 93 gas and a freer-flowing filter.

If we get the power gain they report for $900 that is ok, but if we are just taking advantage of gains we can get for changing fuel and filter and a different shift program and moving power to different rpm's instead of increasing, that is BS.
Sponsored

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The most you gain from 93 is around 10hp.

The gains from the PP are not simply added on to the peak numbers of the truck, they are maximum gains and are elsewhere in the powerband, but they are real and more than you'd get from just running a higher octane fuel.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Since I didn't buy my truck for racing, I didn't get that numbers on mine before installing the FPPP. Are the gains as much as they claim.... well, they should be if you test the same why they did, but if you already run 93 and a filter those number will be less, but as stated I don't see filter and octane making that much of a difference. But the marketing team says make the number big, and the easiest way to do that is to compare base tune on its lowest required octane vs the tune on 93 (which to be fair, is not the lowest the tune supports).

Andrew27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Ranger, 95 Ford Explorer, 98 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Auto Technician
I ran 93 octane from day one and installed the Ford Performance tune at about 3,000 miles (now at 5,600) without using the K&N filter. It really seems to wake up the truck! It’s more apt to downshift with smaller throttle inputs, but not overly “sporty” in normal drive mode. If I put my foot in it, it GOES. I would consider it quite the sleeper lol. To me, theres is a very noticeable difference in power when you’re asking for it via the right foot😆. Well worth it in my opinion. And have others have said, it feels like it should have felt from the factory.

Scott S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Automotive GM
As long as the power pack has been out, it is frustrating that I cannot find an apples-to-apples comparison of the benefits this modification provides. I may have missed something so correct me if I have. I am looking for a before and after 0 to 60 and 1/4 time comparison between a stock new Ford Ranger running 93 octane and a K&N filter and the same Ford Ranger with the power pack installed, running 93, 0 to 60, and 1/4 mile.

They claim impressive horsepower and torque gains, but are these total output gains, or or they an increase at certain rpm's but not total? if the reported numbers are total output gains we would see noticeable 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times.

I am sure comparing stock 87 octane/paper filter performance with the power pack running 93 octane and a K&N filter, you will see an improvement. However, it is proven that simply changing to 93 octane and a K&N, makes a big difference after the computer adjusts to the higher octane and slightly freer flowing intake.

I suspect that the stated performance gains of the power pack come mostly from the ongoing use of 93 gas and a freer-flowing filter.

If we get the power gain they report for $900 that is ok, but if we are just taking advantage of gains we can get for changing fuel and filter and a different shift program and moving power to different rpm's instead of increasing, that is BS.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
The change in transmission performance is worth it by itself.
Totally agree on this, the added power is nice too. Its peppier overall, more willing to downshift. Its not a night and day difference, took some time to get things adjusted. Can't say how much of an improvement on acceleration, it needed time after install to settle in it seemed, so i'll need to try 0-60's again. But overall its a lot more usable power and i'm very happy with it. I'm also stuck running 91 octane, which i was running beforehand anyways.

mgrmax

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger
Occupation
Contractor
Just my observation. I have the Ford tune and a generic pedal commander It’s a lot more fun.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
With the Unleashed tune I am supposed to get +30 HP to make 300HP. She sure seems like it and hauls butt. I will not pay to dyno my truck as I would rather spend that money on mods for my Lucille. The main thing I like is the shifting is 1000% better than stock.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
With the Unleashed tune I am supposed to get +30 HP to make 300HP. She sure seems like it and hauls butt. I will not pay to dyno my truck as I would rather spend that money on mods for my Lucille. The main thing I like is the shifting is 1000% better than stock.
Im Rockin an Unleashed tune also and just love the way my truck drives. No idea what kind of power it was supposed to add but it sure pepped it up and fixed the hesitating and trans shifting problems.
Sponsored