Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Didn't know this was even offered.
Anyone tried a saws all with blade removed pressed up against the cat to see if alarm triggers?
Obviously it depends on the sensitivity you set on the module, but I have no doubt it would set it off on my truck.

And if you have remote start already - no impact?
Seems odd that Ford graciously made a module with 2 pretty much unrelated functions.
No impact...and no programming required.
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Found this Install pdf on another forum
Seems for 2019 you only need a SW upgrade if you DON'T have remote start - see page 11.

Attachments

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Can you confirm the part numbers used? Thanks for the detailed write up! This is very helpful info. Plan to add these to the truck.

Part No: KN1Z19A361A Ford Perimeter Plus Vehicle Security System
Part No: DM5Z19D596A LED Kit

I successfully completed this mod and thought I'd share my DIY experience for anyone interested. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my 2021 Lariat came from the factory with the standard Perimeter Alarm (NOT the Perimeter Plus) but also came with the option Equipment Group 501A that included, among other things, factory Remote Start.

I did not need to perform any programming or seek any service department intervention to make this work perfectly right out of the box. Note my installation also included the optional LED indicator that is available as a separate part.

The alarm kit included the Alarm Module, the T-Harness, several zip ties, a jumper, two window decals, and an owner's manual. The jumper was not used in my application as it is intended to disable the alarm circuit for those wanting the non-factory remote start. The owner's manual is no help at all in guiding the installation.

AlarmKit.jpg

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Also found the user manual. Cleared up a couple of questions for me so I thought I would post for others.
I am getting this primarily because my truck sits in the driveway and I don't want to loose my cat converter!
The manuls refer to the shock sensor ppicking up glass breakage. This would be true if they used a baseball bat. But passed on past experience with attempted theft of my truck, what they used is an auto center punch or spring loaded center punch. Pop it on a side window and it disintegrates! Usually need a glass breakage sensor to pick that up.

Attachments

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Can you confirm the part numbers used? Thanks for the detailed write up! This is very helpful. Plan to add theis to the truck.

Part No: KN1Z19A361A Ford Perimeter Plus Vehicle Security System
DM5Z19D596A LED Kit
Those part numbers are correct.

If you shop around the various Ford parts suppliers you can find some good discounts.

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Also found the user manual. Cleared up a couple of questions for me so I thought I would post for others.
I am getting this primarily because my truck sits in the driveway and I don't want to loose my cat converter!
The manuls refer to the shock sensor ppicking up glass breakage. This would be true if they used a baseball bat. But passed on past experience with attempted theft of my truck, what they used is an auto center punch or spring loaded center punch. Pop it on a side window and it disintegrates! Usually need a glass breakage sensor to pick that up.
Thanks for sharing the installation reference. It will be useful to a lot of folks. Looks like they now have a single guide for all models. I had leveraged one I found for a 2019 Ford Edge, which was essentially the same except for the GWM location.

You can adjust the sensitivity setting as high as you want/dare. On the highest setting the slightest tap on my driver's door window would set it off. No doubt a breaking pane would be more intrusive and detectable.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just cant resist adding to my Ranger! Off today so after getting my oil changed stopped by at my friendly Ford Parts Dept . Got the Module for $175 and figured the LED just might deter some so added that for $15.
I decided to go against all the advice from yall and mounted the module to the dash frame. I used the removable piece below the steering column. Drilled some holes and tie wrapped it on.
At first I was seeing the same thing , no response. But then I realized it take 10-20sec for the system to arm. Works now. I have it cranked up pretty high, hitting the steering wheel almost always sets off full alarm. But I discovered that closing the tailgate gives a warning beep.
And now my pictures.
Remove the 4 bolts in the corners of the fame (8mm socket). Sorry no picture of disassembly, but its pretty straightforward.
This is the plan - drill 4 holes in frame member aligned to the mounting holes in the module.
1636141700801.png
1636141792433.png

Holes Drilled - use a dremel to smooth the burrs.
1636141895122.png

Tie-wrapped in place. Pull em tight!
1636141966000.png
1636142033884.png

Frame with module re-install in lower dash. Added a black cloth tape wrap from the connector back after the pics so you cant see the wires thru the top of the lower/fuse panel.
1636142138847.png
1636142262121.png

And buttoned up
1636142627501.png
1636142665845.png

LED to be added later when it comes in.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Thanks for the detail photo's on this post. Very helpful when I go to install the system.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
LED came in today. After thinking it over I definitely wanted a location that could be viewed from both sides of the truck. Whenever drilling holes in panels I try to go for a small panel and easy to remove.
The obvious place is upper steering column shroud in the center. As @Gil-galad pointed out there is not enough clearance behind the panel in that location. But on either side of the center there is a pocket with adequate clearance. As much as my OCD hates asymmetry I decided to place it off center. On the plus side, its close enough to the steering wheel that I cant see it while driving (OCD issue SOLVED!). Routed wire with the steering harness.
Sorry no under the covers pictures, just finished product!
1636248961403.png

1636249048578.png

1636249134358.png

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
LED came in today. After thinking it over I definitely wanted a location that could be viewed from both sides of the truck. Whenever drilling holes in panels I try to go for a small panel and easy to remove.
The obvious place is upper steering column shroud in the center. As @Gil-galad pointed out there is not enough clearance behind the panel in that location. But on either side of the center there is a pocket with adequate clearance. As much as my OCD hates asymmetry I decided to place it off center. On the plus side, its close enough to the steering wheel that I cant see it while driving (OCD issue SOLVED!). Routed wire with the steering harness.
Sorry no under the covers pictures, just finished product!
Good job. I thought about the same top location but to the left of the steering column centerline. I am similarly afflicted with auto-related OCD and in the end, I was too weak and just couldn't handle the asymmetry. Your location is probably a better deterrent to someone thinking about busting out the passenger side window.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I want to thank you, guys. You just cost me some money. Maybe I can use my points at the dealer. Great write-ups, photos, and video.
That's what we are here for!
The money part that is. the helpful posts are purely a coincidence!

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Can someone confirm this module part number is correct for the 2019-2021 Ranger, Part number KN1J-19G367-AA.

I assume the kit with the other items wiring harness, jumper, and zip ties is Part Number KN1Z19A361A Ford Perimeter Plus Vehicle Security System.

1636409269881.png

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone confirm this module part number is correct for the 2019-2021 Ranger, Part number KN1J-19G367-AA.

I assume the kit with the other items wiring harness, jumper, and zip ties is Part Number KN1Z19A361A Ford Perimeter Plus Vehicle Security System.
Thats the one! You can see it in one of my install images above.
Full disclosure - I cant confirm the 2nd A at the end ?
Sponsored