OP
OP
towpro

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
its not the same as any option that you can buy from factory, its an additional vibration sensor that gets added into your alarm system. I am sure I could get an additional insurance discount but the insurance lady wanted some special paperwork from alarm installer and I did not have it.

its one module. the dealer installed mine before delivery (and they did not give me the install directions, just the usage directions) but I think it came with an extension cable where this plugs into a line of other modules. I thought they had to activate something in the computer so the remote start work work but since I never got directions I really don't know. I could check as built vrs what I see in Forscan but never thought about it.

Mine was also stuffed into kick panel. it is 2 levels, light tap and you get one honk, wack it and you get repeated beeping (last 15 or 30 seconds I think.)
when I first got it I could trigger the single honk pretty easy, even just trying to open a door. Kicking a tire would cause the repeated honks.

Than I realized I would trigger when I rode past it putting my Sportster into garage (stock exhaust on sportster) Since I don't ride with my truck keys on me I had to run inside the get keys to stop alarm :( so I went about adjusting it.

First I found it was turned all the way up. Next I tried to mount it under the steering column bracket (which is on an angle) and I could not get it to trigger at all, so I stuffed it back into kick panel and it started working again. looking back I like it in the kick panel because all I have do do is pull wire and module comes up enough I can get to adjustment knob. If it was mounted to column support I would need to pull lower dash panel to adjust it, but I have only adjusted it once.

I discovered the last couple weekends it gets triggered every time I park in the boat ramp lot. Not sure if its low life's checking doors after they see you leave in boat, or the fact the last 2 times my truck has been parked in the line that is right up against the Highway (real loud Harley's going past). This weekend I will hopefully get a spot on the lake side of parking and see if it triggers.

to disable the vibration sensor you turn off engine, get out, using remote hit unlock 3 times than hit lock once and the truck will beep 2X telling you its armed without vibration sensor active. So I do this every Wed morning when grass team shows up. ( I really do think you have to do ignition on, off, at beginning or it will not disable sensor.)

for remote start its lock, unlock, lock. it turns on the parking lights when remote start is running.
Sponsored

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
its not the same as any option that you can buy from factory, its an additional vibration sensor that gets added into your alarm system. I am sure I could get an additional insurance discount but the insurance lady wanted some special paperwork from alarm installer and I did not have it.

its one module. the dealer installed mine before delivery (and they did not give me the install directions, just the usage directions) but I think it came with an extension cable where this plugs into a line of other modules. I thought they had to activate something in the computer so the remote start work work but since I never got directions I really don't know. I could check as built vrs what I see in Forscan but never thought about it.

Mine was also stuffed into kick panel. it is 2 levels, light tap and you get one honk, wack it and you get repeated beeping (last 15 or 30 seconds I think.)
when I first got it I could trigger the single honk pretty easy, even just trying to open a door. Kicking a tire would cause the repeated honks.

Than I realized I would trigger when I rode past it putting my Sportster into garage (stock exhaust on sportster) Since I don't ride with my truck keys on me I had to run inside the get keys to stop alarm :( so I went about adjusting it.

First I found it was turned all the way up. Next I tried to mount it under the steering column bracket (which is on an angle) and I could not get it to trigger at all, so I stuffed it back into kick panel and it started working again. looking back I like it in the kick panel because all I have do do is pull wire and module comes up enough I can get to adjustment knob. If it was mounted to column support I would need to pull lower dash panel to adjust it, but I have only adjusted it once.

I discovered the last couple weekends it gets triggered every time I park in the boat ramp lot. Not sure if its low life's checking doors after they see you leave in boat, or the fact the last 2 times my truck has been parked in the line that is right up against the Highway (real loud Harley's going past). This weekend I will hopefully get a spot on the lake side of parking and see if it triggers.

to disable the vibration sensor you turn off engine, get out, using remote hit unlock 3 times than hit lock once and the truck will beep 2X telling you its armed without vibration sensor active. So I do this every Wed morning when grass team shows up. ( I really do think you have to do ignition on, off, at beginning or it will not disable sensor.)

for remote start its lock, unlock, lock. it turns on the parking lights when remote start is running.
Can you please post a pic of where your module is? I had perimeter plus installed at the dealer. I thought I had found the module, but what I found has no knob to adjust sensitivity. I can't make it go off with motion so I'd like to increase sensitivity. The little booklet they gave me isn't particularly helpful.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I never checked if I have it since I wasn’t sure how to check hahaha.
I check if mine came with Alarm which is said on the original window sticker, my wife stayed inside while I locked the car. After 10 sec she open the door and alarm went ON. It didn't work for me when I did same test cause I had the key fob.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I check if mine came with Alarm which is said on the original window sticker, my wife stayed inside while I locked the car. After 10 sec she open the door and alarm went ON. It didn't work for me when I did same test cause I had the key fob.
Oh, is that alarm the same as the perimeter alarm? I heard the perimeter alarm can be changed in sensitivity IIRC. I definitely have that alarm for when the vehicle is trying to be opened from the inside after locking. A few times I locked the gf in the vehicle prematurely and it rang right after hehe ? maybe when I get my hitch armor back I will give the hitch armor a good kick after locking and see if the perimeter works not just from inside. Appreciate the insight Bladimir!

OP
OP
towpro

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
The perimeter alarm adds a vibration sensor to your factory alarm. I can test it by kicking the tire real hard and the alarm will go off.

sorry I don't have any pictures right now. Its a box smaller than a pack of cigarettes. mine is just slid down under the kick panel cover on Drivers side. it has a harness (2 wire I think) going to it and i just pull that harness up and it lifts the alarm module from behind kick panel. than it has a shaft sticking out of it you can turn for sensitivity.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I don't have any kind of alarm installed at the moment. Does just adding this module add an alarm to the truck or am I not understanding this properly. This seems like exactly what I want. Just $169 for the part and harness seems too good

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, is that alarm the same as the perimeter alarm? I heard the perimeter alarm can be changed in sensitivity IIRC. I definitely have that alarm for when the vehicle is trying to be opened from the inside after locking. A few times I locked the gf in the vehicle prematurely and it rang right after hehe ? maybe when I get my hitch armor back I will give the hitch armor a good kick after locking and see if the perimeter works not just from inside. Appreciate the insight Bladimir!
I'm not sure if this is the same as perimeter PLUS cause but will check.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My Lariat came from the factory with the Perimeter Alarm (NOT the Perimeter Plus) but also came with the Equipment Group 501A option that includes, among other things, factory Remote Start.

Thus, I can probably presume my installation experience would match that of DanaBovender above, i.e., I could easily add the Perimeter Plus system myself without any sort of additional dealer programming or labor charges.

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
My Lariat came from the factory with the Perimeter Alarm (NOT the Perimeter Plus) but also came with the Equipment Group 501A option that includes, among other things, factory Remote Start.

Thus, I can probably presume my installation experience would match that of DanaBovender above, i.e., I could easily add the Perimeter Plus system myself without any sort of additional dealer programming or labor charges.
I am interested in this also.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A

That is exactly what I would like to know. Is this as easy as plug and play to get the shock sensor added to a truck already equipped with factory Remote Start and Perimeter Alarm (non Plus option). If you try let us all know.

Last edited:

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I successfully completed this mod and thought I'd share my DIY experience for anyone interested. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my 2021 Lariat came from the factory with the standard Perimeter Alarm (NOT the Perimeter Plus) but also came with the option Equipment Group 501A that included, among other things, factory Remote Start.

I did not need to perform any programming or seek any service department intervention to make this work perfectly right out of the box. Note my installation also included the optional LED indicator that is available as a separate part.

The alarm kit included the Alarm Module, the T-Harness, several zip ties, a jumper, two window decals, and an owner's manual. The jumper was not used in my application as it is intended to disable the alarm circuit for those wanting the non-factory remote start. The owner's manual is no help at all in guiding the installation.

AlarmKit.jpg

Here is what is included in the separate (and somewhat overpriced) LED kit. The wire between the LED and the plug for the Alarm Module is 36" in length:

LEDKit.jpg

Once the driver's knee bolster is removed, you can see the rearward facing side of the Gateway Module between the fusebox and the outer kick panel. The OBDII port is at the bottom of this module:

GWM.jpg

It's not too difficult to access the back side of the Gateway Module. Here it is with the truck's factory harness already unplugged from it:

Unplugged.jpg

The Alarm T-Harness bridges between the Gateway Module socket and the truck's harness:

Plugged In.jpg

After that it's a simple matter of plugging the third end of the Alarm T-Harness into the appropriate socket on the Alarm Module...and then deciding where to mount the module:

Module Ready.jpg

As others have stated previously and after some experimentation, the driver's kick panel does indeed seem to be the best place to locate the Alarm Module. It fits snugly into that location and allows for easy access to the alarm sensitivity adjustment knob:

Stuffed.jpg

I located my LED on the left side of the upper steering column shroud. I originally wanted to located it on top in the center but did not do this for two reasons. The first was the fact that there wasn't enough clearance under the shroud at that location for the LED unit. The other was the limitation of the 36" long wires connecting the LED with its plug. I suspect I could have easily spliced in additional wire for added length but Reason #1 made it moot. The LED mounting requires drilling a 9/32" hole and at least 1/2" of clearance under that location:

LED.jpg

Finally, here is a link to a short (~1 minute) movie of a system test. With the driver's window rolled down, I arm the system by locking the truck with the fob. The LED comes on solid and then starts blinking to indicate the system is armed. A moderate slap of the steering wheel sets off the single honk/flash alarm. Then a vigorous strike on the steering wheel sets off the "full" alarm. The alarm is silenced by pressing the unlock button on the fob but the LED continues to flash to indicate the alarm had been set off. I then show the final step of pressing lock and then unlock to disable the system.

Video Clip of Perimeter Plus Alarm System Operation

I also received FordPass app pop-up notifications and messages analogous to those shown in the OP's initial post.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't know this was even offered.
Anyone tried a saws all with blade removed pressed up against the cat to see if alarm triggers?

And if you have remote start already - no impact?
Seems odd that Ford graciously made a module with 2 pretty much unrelated functions.
Sponsored

Last edited: