First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
I successfully completed this mod and thought I'd share my DIY experience for anyone interested. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my 2021 Lariat came from the factory with the standard Perimeter Alarm (NOT the Perimeter Plus) but also came with the option Equipment Group 501A that included, among other things, factory Remote Start.

I did not need to perform any programming or seek any service department intervention to make this work perfectly right out of the box. Note my installation also included the optional LED indicator that is available as a separate part.

The alarm kit included the Alarm Module, the T-Harness, several zip ties, a jumper, two window decals, and an owner's manual. The jumper was not used in my application as it is intended to disable the alarm circuit for those wanting the non-factory remote start. The owner's manual is no help at all in guiding the installation.

AlarmKit.jpg

Here is what is included in the separate (and somewhat overpriced) LED kit. The wire between the LED and the plug for the Alarm Module is 36" in length:

LEDKit.jpg

Once the driver's knee bolster is removed, you can see the rearward facing side of the Gateway Module between the fusebox and the outer kick panel. The OBDII port is at the bottom of this module:

GWM.jpg

It's not too difficult to access the back side of the Gateway Module. Here it is with the truck's factory harness already unplugged from it:

Unplugged.jpg

The Alarm T-Harness bridges between the Gateway Module socket and the truck's harness:

Plugged In.jpg

After that it's a simple matter of plugging the third end of the Alarm T-Harness into the appropriate socket on the Alarm Module...and then deciding where to mount the module:

Module Ready.jpg

As others have stated previously and after some experimentation, the driver's kick panel does indeed seem to be the best place to locate the Alarm Module. It fits snugly into that location and allows for easy access to the alarm sensitivity adjustment knob:

Stuffed.jpg

I located my LED on the left side of the upper steering column shroud. I originally wanted to located it on top in the center but did not do this for two reasons. The first was the fact that there wasn't enough clearance under the shroud at that location for the LED unit. The other was the limitation of the 36" long wires connecting the LED with its plug. I suspect I could have easily spliced in additional wire for added length but Reason #1 made it moot. The LED mounting requires drilling a 9/32" hole and at least 1/2" of clearance under that location:

LED.jpg

Finally, here is a link to a short (~1 minute) movie of a system test. With the driver's window rolled down, I arm the system by locking the truck with the fob. The LED comes on solid and then starts blinking to indicate the system is armed. A moderate slap of the steering wheel sets off the single honk/flash alarm. Then a vigorous strike on the steering wheel sets off the "full" alarm. The alarm is silenced by pressing the unlock button on the fob but the LED continues to flash to indicate the alarm had been set off. I then show the final step of pressing lock and then unlock to disable the system.

Video Clip of Perimeter Plus Alarm System Operation

I also received FordPass app pop-up notifications and messages analogous to those shown in the OP's initial post.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Have your pop up notifications stopped working ? Mine stopped around 6-10-22 and for the life of me I can't get to to work. Ford pass says Ford stopped that and Ford says it's Ford pass. They are two different companies , Ford Pass is a third party that runs the app. The app works but ne alerts for the alarm.
Any help wouls be great
Waly
Sponsored

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
Have your pop up notifications stopped working ? Mine stopped around 6-10-22 and for the life of me I can't get to to work. Ford pass says Ford stopped that and Ford says it's Ford pass. They are two different companies , Ford Pass is a third party that runs the app. The app works but ne alerts for the alarm.
Any help wouls be great
Waly
To piggy-back on this, I have the added shock sensor and have never had any notification activity in the app. If it is still working for anyone, would appreciate some info about how I might get this set up.

Also, a quirk about the alarm: on several occasions I have triggered the alarm by opening the back door immediately after unlocking it using the front handle proximity unlock. Pressing unlock in the FOB won't stop the alarm in this case and I have to actually start the vehicle.

Otherwise, no complaints with my 21 Lariat FX4. Just hit 22000 miles!

SaberRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I accidentally left my truck unlocked the other night and someone got in my truck and stole some stuff from my console.

I saw that Ford has a shock sensor alarm kit that I can add onto my truck and I would like to.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-perimeter-plus-vehicle-security-system-20

I Know that these trucks and other Ford Vehicles can come from the factory with the option of Perimeter alarm which is not the same as the Perimeter plus add on.

I’m just trying to figure out if my truck came from the factory with the Perimeter alarm. I bought my truck used so I don’t have the window sticker that would tell me.

Is there anyway to test if my truck has it?
My truck is a 2019 Lariat FX4 with what seem like every option so I would think that it would have the Perimeter alarm option.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I accidentally left my truck unlocked the other night and someone got in my truck and stole some stuff from my console.

I saw that Ford has a shock sensor alarm kit that I can add onto my truck and I would like to.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-perimeter-plus-vehicle-security-system-20

I Know that these trucks and other Ford Vehicles can come from the factory with the option of Perimeter alarm which is not the same as the Perimeter plus add on.

I’m just trying to figure out if my truck came from the factory with the Perimeter alarm. I bought my truck used so I don’t have the window sticker that would tell me.

My truck is a 2019 Lariat FX4 with what seem like every option so I would think that it would have the Perimeter alarm option.
Sorry this happened to you and it will say on your window sticker in the upper right if it has one. You can read through the thread below and it should tell you how to tell if yours is equipped with one. If not others have added aftermarket ones which are linked in the thread too.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ford-perimeter-plus-alarm-system.15376/

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
WOW I just checked and found out I have a Perimeter Alarm! Now I just need to figure out how to use it.
Simply if you want perimeter protected you turn it on. If you want interior protected turn that on.

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
Simply if you want perimeter protected you turn it on. If you want interior protected turn that on.
Double WOW I have interior protection too. It just keeps getting better. I love this Forum!!!

SaberRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
What does the standard Perimeter alarm do?

can I add Perimeter Plus if I don’t have the regular perimeter alarm?

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
What does the standard Perimeter alarm do?

can I add Perimeter Plus if I don’t have the regular perimeter alarm?
I am unsure about perimeter plus. If you have that selection it has to be better right? It's plus. :LOL: :LOL:

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger

not a lot to do to arm it

1658056458822.png

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
Easy test.
Leave one of your windows open. Turn off the truck and close the door. Push the lock button on your fob twice. The horn will beep.
Then reach in. And open your door. The alarm should go off.
If you have keyless entry and start. Leave your fob in the house.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab

RangerCRF

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger fx4
Window sticker and vin states the truck is equipped. Yet I see no options in the menu for it, and it obviously does not work. I will jump on the truck, try to open doors, and even shake the steering wheel while the window is down and locked. Nothing.

what am I not understanding, or doing incorrectly. Thanks
Sponsored