First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
why do you have to wait? Isn't this done at the dealer?
Couple of reasons, trying to find a dealer that was willing to do it was a bit of a effort, and I wanted the engine to be broken in before I have the power so that there wouldn’t be any finger-pointing in the event something went wrong

Hairball

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab,302A,FX4 2016Mazda Miata(zoom-zoom) 2007Yamaha FZ1
Occupation
Covid-19 forced retirement
I have a question I have been unable to find an answer for. Every thing I have read so far talks about better shifting but no one addresses the annoying second gear skip. Is the skip improved or eliminated with this tune?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I have a question I have been unable to find an answer for. Every thing I have read so far talks about better shifting but no one addresses the annoying second gear skip. Is the skip improved or eliminated with this tune?
Yes, way improved. You have to be very light on the throttle for it to skip gears now. If it does it’s unnoticeable. Most of the time it’s 1,2,3,4...

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Mine still skips 2 gear unless I get into it a bit (still vastly improved from stock), or just drive in S mode and it will go through all gears

Hairball

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab,302A,FX4 2016Mazda Miata(zoom-zoom) 2007Yamaha FZ1
Occupation
Covid-19 forced retirement
Thanks for the reply's. I have used sport mode and also hit the gas a bit harder to avoid the skip but feel it would be better if programed out.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply's. I have used sport mode and also hit the gas a bit harder to avoid the skip but feel it would be better if programed out.
You will be looking for an aftermarket tune then.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Install date 7/19. The dealer said about two hours for the install, sounds long from the feedback of the forum.

Reactions: Doc

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Use tow mode to stop skipping 2nd in stock or tuned on FP. FP tune will not stop 2nd gear skip.

Emanuel22

First Name
Emanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021
Occupation
Elec. Tech.
Yes, way improved. You have to be very light on the throttle for it to skip gears now. If it does it’s unnoticeable. Most of the time it’s 1,2,3,4...
That's nice but, what about the 3rd gear? that sometimes feel like a manual car, drop revs. Mine is stock and I hate when skip 2nd and drop revs in 3rd.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's nice but, what about the 3rd gear? that sometimes feel like a manual car, drop revs. Mine is stock and I hate when skip 2nd and drop revs in 3rd.
Like I said it’s way better. There is no other way to describe it. The shifting is vastly improved. I don’t notice any lugging after the tune.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
It is a improvement, may not be as good overall compared to aftermarket tunes (I base that on comments here) but I am glad I got it, I did the install and went to my local dealer told the service writer "write it up for install ford performance tune" he never touched the truck, charged me $32 and I was on my way, I know him well though, not sure how willing other dealers would be to do it that way.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So am I able to flash the FPP tune and then remove the tuner device and forget about it? In other words, does the tune stick if I disconnect the tuner and drive around without it in the truck?

I'm looking to do some towing and saw that Ford Performance updated the tune to make it better for towing somehow.. that's a nice add.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
So am I able to flash the FPP tune and then remove the tuner device and forget about it? In other words, does the tune stick if I disconnect the tuner and drive around without it in the truck?

I'm looking to do some towing and saw that Ford Performance updated the tune to make it better for towing somehow.. that's a nice add.
Short answer: Yes.
Had the same question when I got mine knowledgeable folks here on R5G confirmed, unplug it and only use it if FPP gets updated or you want to switch to the stock tune or use the trailer towing version of the FPP.
Sponsored