First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah i started to not care for 93 only after a bit.
Even though 20mpg isnt bad for the tremor, filling up every week with 93 sucked, and for the power/difference it made, doesnt feel worth it now.
Costco gas is at least a smaller hit compared between reg/premium.
I use Costco gas 99% of the time. Costco credit card for the 4% cash back.

My SO? Yeah it isn't convenient enough. Facepalm. We literally live down the street from a Costco.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'd love to get Costco gas but the lines are usually 10+ cars deep for every pump anytime I go by one. Last time I sat in line it took a good 30 min to actually get to the pump. Screw that. so I just usually end up going to Buc-ee's or HEB for gas.

I told myself that when premium broke $4.00/gal I would go back to 87. Well I did go back to an 87 octane performance tune with some custom tranny tuning. To be honest they only time I noticed a difference between 87 and 93 tunes was at WOT above 5000 rpm. I seldom drive the truck that way so my overall driving enjoyment is the same and even if premium goes back below $4.00/gal I will stay with 87.
What tune are you running? I'm on 5* and there is a significant difference in low end power between the 87 and 93 performance tunes. The 87 tune is noticeably stronger than stock. Best way to describe it is it's a little stronger than when using 93 octane on stock, but no where near as punchy as the 93 performance tune is. The 5* tune is much more aggressive with throttle response and develops boost a much lower rpms than their 87 does.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I told myself that when premium broke $4.00/gal I would go back to 87. Well I did go back to an 87 octane performance tune with some custom tranny tuning. To be honest they only time I noticed a difference between 87 and 93 tunes was at WOT above 5000 rpm. I seldom drive the truck that way so my overall driving enjoyment is the same and even if premium goes back below $4.00/gal I will stay with 87.
which company made this tune?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
how you sat in line for 30 minutes is beyond me. did you have fully empty pickups in front of you for all ten cars?

Even when the lines are deep at my costco....with three pumps in each line, the most i have waited was 10 minutes

People take forever to fill up down here. The majority of vehicles down here are full size trucks and SUV's with 18-30 gallon tanks. Average time to fill is 5+ minutes for most of these.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
People take forever to fill up down here. The majority of vehicles down here are full size trucks and SUV's with 18-30 gallon tanks. Average time to fill is 5+ minutes for most of these.
Same here, we have a lot of older people that haven't figured out how to use tap-n-pay so have to pull out a cheat sheet to remember their pin code :LOL: :LOL:

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I did the 87 livernois soft shif tune on a road trip, it drove pretty well.

For costco, has anyone tried pulling the pump to the others side. It's supposed to be long enough if you don't park the tank next to it. I haven’t tried it yet

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
What tune are you running? I'm on 5* and there is a significant difference in low end power between the 87 and 93 performance tunes. The 87 tune is noticeably stronger than stock. Best way to describe it is it's a little stronger than when using 93 octane on stock, but no where near as punchy as the 93 performance tune is. The 5* tune is much more aggressive with throttle response and develops boost a much lower rpms than their 87 does.
I was running the FP tune which is for 91 octane, on 93. I was happy with the power and could live with the shifting. When I decided to go back to 87 I just reinstalled the stock tune, there was a noticeable loss in power across the rpm range. But, more importantly I do not like the stock tranny programing, it has the tranny in to high a gear almost all the time. Since I owned an SCT tuner from my days with the Mustang I updated it and installed the SCT canned 87 performance tune. This picked up the power below 5000 rpm to not be really noticeable compared to the FP tune. The tranny tuning was better than stock but still not to my liking. Since I had had good experience with Unleashed I got an 87 Performance tune and requested they modify the tranny tuning to be more like tow mode in drive. The engine tune was equivalent to the SCT 87 tune and I have not felt the need to do any data logging to see if he can squeeze out any more power. It took three revisions to the tranny tuning to get just like I want. I no longer think about tow mode, locking out gears or sport, I just drop it in drive and go.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Yep and they take forever when they head up to SW Colorado, not only filling up massive trucks, trailers and RVs but the side bys that many from the Lone Star seem to favor. Most analysts predict gas prices will continue to rise this summer.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I'd love to get Costco gas but the lines are usually 10+ cars deep for every pump anytime I go by one. Last time I sat in line it took a good 30 min to actually get to the pump. Screw that. so I just usually end up going to Buc-ee's or HEB for gas.

I go off peak times and there are always pumps available, but my costco has a lot of pumps.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is a 2019 and I installed the Ford performance tune when they came out which was shortly after I got it.........well I'm done with $5 per gallon premium gas. I never thought there would be a day when I said please let me buy some of that $4.25 per gallon gas but it's here

How do I uninstall my tune?
Should I expect any issues, besides the obvious lower performance after running it for a couple of years?
Can I reinstall when/if we ever get back to prices like we had 2 years ago??
My fuel light is on now so if I uninstall the tune should I wait a bit before I go back to the "cheap" stuff? or can fill up today with regular?

Thanks in advance
Greg
I'm in the same boat man! Now your seeing the difference with the tune choices we have with the Ranger. I run a Livernois tune in my truck and can flash back to stock anytime I want. It has absolutely no affect on the vehicle other than I lose performance when I go back to stock. I flash back to stock every time I visit the dealer for service as to prevent programming issues. I will be flashing down to my 87 Octane tune soon because of the premium prices......