OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
[QUOTE="OrangeStreak, post: 208856, member: 6870"

I did the update on Thursday and it worked. I documented the process and will include it here with some screenshots. I was in a hurry because of an appointment so if I missed anything or didn't get the notification messages correct in the notes please let me know. The dealer charges $132.00 to do an update so I choose to learn how to do it myself and wanted share it with you guys.

How to do a SYNC3 Software Update with a Flash Drive.

About SYNC3 Software Update Notifications

Concerning these notifications, a Ford Tech Support Rep. told me this:

1. The SYNC3 system in the Truck will notify you on the screen of Software Updates needed only when I am within range of my home WiFi. If I stay in range and keep the motor running it will lead me thru the update process.

2. Also, Ford Pass App will notify me with a popup message when a new Software Update is available.

NOTE: I have never received any notifications per the above two methods. I have had to check Ford’s website to see if I have an update available. I don’t have Navigation on my Truck but maybe you will receive a notification through your Navigation system if you have it on your Truck?

Follow the instructions below to do a manual Software Update with a Flash Drive.

Open: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...1MRh4P-g3UcJu5Sm-kP1qT&cshid=1611316164305678

If sign in is necessary use your Ford Pass UN & PW.

Step 1: Enter your VIN and the below info. will appear

A software update is available.
Your SYNC system will be updated to SYNC3 v3.4.20282

If the version on their Website has not changed since your previous update then disregard. If it has changed proceed to get the new version. My previous version was: 3.4.20136 which was updated 08/03/20, so I needed the new version shown above: 3.4.20282

Step 2: How do you want to install?

Under this header: Click the Flash Drive Link

To set up your flash drive: Follow the instructions under: Update Your SYNC® System with a Flash Drive. Follow through and complete the Download instructions.

If you have done the above procedures correctly, here is how the downloaded file should appear on your hard drive or in your download Folder: See the 1st picture (the file dated 01-21-21) in the screen shots. Next, double click this file.

This will result in what you see in the 2nd picture in the screen shots. Drag or copy and paste the 3 files shown in the 2nd picture to your prepared Flash Drive.

The 3rd picture shows what the file in your Flash Drive should look like now.

Step 3: This can be done either by letting your Truck idle or by driving it.

I decided to take a drive so I could observe the process exactly by what the screen indicated.

Start the Truck Motor. With the motor running, plug in the Flash Drive (a Ford tech support representative told me that you have to leave the motor running and the flash drive inserted until this installation is complete or you have to start the process all over again) and the screen will indicate: updating software…

This is the only message that appeared on my screen until the following messages appeared after approximately 30 minutes of driving: “Installation complete / restarting.” Then the screen will go blank. Wait for a minute or two and this same exact message: “Installation complete / restarting” will appear again and then disappear.

The installation is now complete. So do the following to finalize the process:
Turn off the motor and remove the Flash Drive. Open your door, lock it, and then close it.

Wait for two minutes and restart the motor and you are done with the installation. I opened the SYNC3 System information and the new version update was indicated.

Step Three: Confirm Update

Follow the instructions under this header on the Website and If you have done this step correctly, this message will appear: Your SYNC update has been confirmed.
Sponsored

Attachments

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Thanks Paul for providing this info. Since your Sync3 update, have you noticed any improvements in the performance or interface?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Thanks Paul for providing this info. Since your Sync3 update, have you noticed any improvements in the performance or interface?
Andrew,
I haven't noticed any changes since this update. Everything seemed to be working fine with the previous software version (3.4.20136) but I just did this new update to bring everything current. Will let you know if I notice any changes or differences.

Paul

motley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger '19 XLT
I just updated to 3.4 this weekend and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the instructions here. I had to download the 6th file as it was not included in the zip file from Ford.

Total installation time was around 25 minutes through USB port. The system interface looks better and the music player definitely works better. Embedded album covers on my usb thumb drive are now showing correctly where as before it didn't read from the file tags.

I had to resetup Android Auto again but it was much faster to reinitiate. Overall good experience so far!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The system interface looks better and the music player definitely works better. Embedded album covers on my usb thumb drive are now showing correctly where as before it didn't read from the file tags.
I will need to check mine closer. Before I had turned off Gracenotes because it would over-ride the file tags on some of my lesser known artists and replace with incorrect data. Maybe that go fixed.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4X4, FX4, Black package
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I no longer have the truck, but I'm trying to assist the person who does since the climate controls were lost in the 20136 update. It was recently taken to the purchase dealer for regular service (oil change) and this was mentioned. At which point they just did a Master Reset which didn't really do anything except lose saved things (map points, etc). So today I've checked and it said there was a wifi update available, unspecified. I did it and when done, it was still on 20136 just like before. I'm trying to get 20282 since I'm reading that this has at least partially repaired the problems from 20136 as to climate controls.

So..., I downloaded the 20282 file to a USB drive, attempted to install it in the truck (yes, exfat, etc., my ducks were in a row), but it failed more than once and told me to call Ford. So I call Ford and I'm asked if I formatted with exfat, then I'm asked if I used a USB3 drive and then told that I can't use a USB3 drive. I'm
tempImageU9amq6.png
fairly sure I read that someone has used USB3 drives right along without any issues. But I'm currently downloading to an older USB drive and we'll see how that works in a little bit.

If you aren't interested in this little many months-long drama, please scroll by. I'm just beating my head against the wall yet again trying to fix a problem that isn't of my own making. <sigh> I'm happy for those for whom this has been resolved. I am not happy for myself.

The image inserted is what prompted me to call Ford and them telling me it's because of USB3. I hope they aren't just kicking the can on down the road.

Last edited:

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I just tried with the USB2 drive, same LST_ERR05. Ford now says that's a problem with the extraction process (of the zip file). I'm using a Mac and unzipping is 'automatic'. I'm not using a 3rd party app, at least not actively....it's just what the OS does on its own. So, I already had an appt. with the dealer tomorrow and I guess that's where this will move next. I would use a PC, but I'm on the road and didn't bring one along. Meh....

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I just tried with the USB2 drive, same LST_ERR05. Ford now says that's a problem with the extraction process (of the zip file). I'm using a Mac and unzipping is 'automatic'. I'm not using a 3rd party app, at least not actively....it's just what the OS does on its own. So, I already had an appt. with the dealer tomorrow and I guess that's where this will move next. I would use a PC, but I'm on the road and didn't bring one along. Meh....
On a Mac I’ve always had to use the tool they suggest. I forget the name off hand but without it I got the LST errors. It should be in the instructions from memory.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
On a Mac I’ve always had to use the tool they suggest. I forget the name off hand but without it I got the LST errors. It should be in the instructions from memory.
Thanks.....they suggested Stuffit, which I also tried, but it didn't work out. Stuffit only extracted the two files that are not the 6 tar.gz files. My impression is that the tar files are extracted by the vehicle during the install process and are meant to be intact on the USB drive as I've seen on other's posts. Also tried 'unarchiver' and the truck didn't even recognize the files, though they 'look' the same in the directory.

FWIW, the truck is currently doing another wifi update, so who knows what that's about.

Still trying........dealer appt is tomorrow at 0900. I'm trying to beat that deadline, LOL...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think that is the root of your problem - I can't imagine it would have been a USB3 issue. If it only wanted to use USB2 speeds it would just be slower.

There are known issues when using the built in mac unzipping utilities. I would bet if you did it on a PC it would work.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Thanks.....they suggested Stuffit, which I also tried, but it didn't work out. Stuffit only extracted the two files that are not the 6 tar.gz files. My impression is that the tar files are extracted by the vehicle during the install process and are meant to be intact on the USB drive as I've seen on other's posts. Also tried 'unarchiver' and the truck didn't even recognize the files, though they 'look' the same in the directory.

FWIW, the truck is currently doing another wifi update, so who knows what that's about.

Still trying........dealer appt is tomorrow at 0900. I'm trying to beat that deadline, LOL...
It should extract the two files and the SyncMyRide folder with all of the other tar’s. Should.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I think that is the root of your problem - I can't imagine it would have been a USB3 issue. If it only wanted to use USB2 speeds it would just be slower.

There are known issues when using the built in mac unzipping utilities. I would bet if you did it on a PC it would work.
Quite possibly the issue, but I didn't bring the PC this trip. It is odd, though. A file is a file one would think. I would have hoped unzipping/unarchiving compatibility issues would have been resolved about 15 years ago, but maybe not. I'll be at a friend's next weekend and then back through here next week. I'll use his PC to unzip it and try again in a week if nothing works today and the dealer is not helpful. I'm not paying the dealer anything, so if they want money, I'll be on my own anyway. :)

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
It should extract the two files and the SyncMyRide folder with all of the other tar’s. Should.
The built-in Mac unzips all of them and does not retain the SyncMyRide folder. I tried re-creating it and placing the tar files in there, but it still didn't work. This is getting borderline comical. :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The built-in Mac unzips all of them and does not retain the SyncMyRide folder. I tried re-creating it and placing the tar files in there, but it still didn't work. This is getting borderline comical. :)
If you manually create the folder make sure the case is correct (SyncMyRide, not syncmyride or Syncmyride, etc)

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
If you manually create the folder make sure the case is correct (SyncMyRide, not syncmyride or Syncmyride, etc)
Thanks. I did, copied the syntax and capitalism verbatim. No joy. The latest wifi update finished a little bit ago and I'm still on 20136, so no idea what it was about. That's 2 wifi updates today. Just tried yet another attempt at the USB option and still got the LST_ERR05. Ugh.... Maybe the wifi updates (one painful tar at a time) will get to the 20282 update....let's see, that's 4 more wifi updates to go. Or not....
Sponsored