First road trip woes

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
First road trip with the 2021:
- Traction in the snow has been fantastic
- The passenger door handle won't unlock the door when it's cold/snowy (Lariat)
- Adaptive cruise shut off saying the sensor was blocked. Nothin there...
- Parked to get gas and the rear brakes smell like they're getting fried. I've been using tow/haul and engine braking so there's no reason for that. Been triple checking the parking brake as well to make sure it stays down.

Overall it's been a comfy ride, just some quirks coming to light.
Sponsored

Stringburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Were any of the wheels warm or hot to the touch? Be careful checking, hold your hand close to the wheel before touching them, they can become incredibly hot if a brake is hung up. I've slung windshield cleaner fluid from the squeegee at a gas station and it boils/sizzles on the wheel that has the issue.

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
Are you sure all sensors are clear? Inside middle of lower grill opening, bumper sensors and windshield camera? I had a bug on one and it freaked everything out on my first trip. Might even make sure the taillights are clear

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
- Parked to get gas and the rear brakes smell like they're getting fried. I've been using tow/haul and engine braking so there's no reason for that. Been triple checking the parking brake as well to make sure it stays down.

A couple of things ref the unlock issue; make sure you're touching the panel on the backside of the handle, not the detent on the front. The front locks, the back unlocks. Some folks miss that. If you're hitting the right spot and it's still not unlocking, it's the snow (not the cold) that's doing it - preventing the contact between your hand and the sensor (I had the same issue two days ago when the handles got packed with snow overnight).

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure all sensors are clear? Inside middle of lower grill opening, bumper sensors and windshield camera? I had a bug on one and it freaked everything out on my first trip. Might even make sure the taillights are clear
I'll have to double check the one behind the windshield glass, but the others were completely clear.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of things ref the unlock issue; make sure you're touching the panel on the backside of the handle, not the detent on the front. The front locks, the back unlocks. Some folks miss that. If you're hitting the right spot and it's still not unlocking, it's the snow (not the cold) that's doing it - preventing the contact between your hand and the sensor (I had the same issue two days ago when the handles got packed with snow overnight).
I was giving that handle the business from every angle (inside) and it wouldn't work. Unlocked perfectly on the driver side.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were any of the wheels warm or hot to the touch? Be careful checking, hold your hand close to the wheel before touching them, they can become incredibly hot if a brake is hung up. I've slung windshield cleaner fluid from the squeegee at a gas station and it boils/sizzles on the wheel that has the issue.
I'll keep an eye on this next time to be sure. You could definitely smell the hot brakes, but only in the rear.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
were you by chance hammering on the throttle enjoying the traction control more than you thought? maybe that gave the brakes a good workout
Nope, and didn't notice TC light illuminating. Was trying to feather it to maximize mileage.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was giving that handle the business from every angle (inside) and it wouldn't work. Unlocked perfectly on the driver side.
When mine did this (only drivers handle worked) it was my battery being low. You might want to have that checked out as several here (including myself) have had theirs replaced under warranty within 2 years. I keep a maintainer on mine now at least 2-3 days a week. Hopefully you can figure out what caused the other issues.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
When mine did this (only drivers handle worked) it was my battery being low. You might want to have that checked out as several here (including myself) have had theirs replaced under warranty within 2 years. I keep a maintainer on mine now at least 2-3 days a week. Hopefully you can figure out what caused the other issues.
Yep, plus one to what Dave said - check your battery.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Happened to me yesterday..snowing and cold. So unlock with the fob all ok except then my push to start said no key???

Well my wife had one of those big RTIC stainless cup she just put in the rear of the center console. Pulled the cup out and everything worked great!!! That’s where the sensor is located…

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
The reason I figured it out was that I read you have to put a fob there to reprogram it. The metal cup must have been blocking the sensor… otherwise I would have been scratching my head for awhile on this one ?…

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happened to me yesterday..snowing and cold. So unlock with the fob all ok except then my push to start said no key???

Well my wife had one of those big RTIC stainless cup she just put in the rear of the center console. Pulled the cup out and everything worked great!!! That’s where the sensor is located…
Interesting, I'll have to think about that one and keep an eye on it.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation

Sponsored