Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Don,
Is there anything you'd recommended instead of the factory blue lubricant?
The blue dry coating is called glide coat. Been around forever. You can grease glide coat to help with stick/slip.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
FordRacing

FordRacing

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
The rubber insulator around the carrier bearing is really soft the the Rangers. I had the same "bump" feeling until I greased the drive shaft spline. They come with a coating of dry lubricant that's blue from the factory but it's not very good. The F150's have the same issue.

IMG_20210827_160937063.jpg
I'll give this a try seeing as it pretty simple... Also thanks for the info on the "carrier bearing" being soft...

OP
OP
FordRacing

FordRacing

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Just had my 21 ranger in last week for a “bump” at stop/go. They told me it was the slip yoke sticking. Is this the same of what you’re describing? They told me Ford doesn’t sell the rubber boot and Ford requires the dealer to replace the driveshaft under warranty. A new driveshaft is ordered & should be in Mon/Tue. Seems crazy Ford wouldn’t just allow the dealer to just grease it.
That's crazy.... But good for you.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So!, now we need to get our drive shaft replaced at 25k because Ford can’t make a better lubed slip joint and won't relube it. Looks like driveshafts are now a disposable part like ball joints and tie rod ends.

Give me a zerk fitting and let me give it a pump every oil change or so.

SkyLord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I have a 2021 Tremor and I’m starting to notice the same thing. It reminds me of driving a HMMWV a little off the line and stopping (small amount of slack). Doesn’t seem to be a major issue, just an observation. If I notice it, it’s just enjoying at worst.

I have beat on it pretty hard and tow on the heavy side a bit. Not sure if there is any relation.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
So!, now we need to get our drive shaft replaced at 25k because Ford can’t make a better lubed slip joint and won't relube it. Looks like driveshafts are now a disposable part like ball joints and tie rod ends.

I fully expected them to say they were just going to grease it & send me on my way. I was shocked when they said they were replacing it. Dealer I go to said this is the first time they’ve seen this on a Ranger but see it on F-150’s a lot.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Mine just started 3 days ago.

'21 Tremor with 5k miles

It's hot up here for Alaska and I just did a couple hundred mile trip to see glaciers so I dunno if that hurt it

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired

Actually need to find a dealer with a clue…
Ford absolutely has a boot kit for the Ranger that comes with the boot and new clamps. My dealer lubed the splines on mine and bump at stop and takeoff is gone.

Check out this thread (and the video) for details on how to do this on your own, or better yet, get your dealer to do it.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-lubricate-your-driveshaft-slip-joint.16648/

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger tremor
Occupation
Diesel tech
Actually need to find a dealer with a clue…
Ford absolutely has a boot kit for the Ranger that comes with the boot and new clamps. My dealer lubed the splines on mine and bump at stop and takeoff is gone. Far less stress than dealing with the dealer lube those splines you wont be disappointed. Regards

Check out this thread (and the video) for details on how to do this on your own, or better yet, get your dealer to do it.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-lubricate-your-driveshaft-slip-joint.16648/
Hello everyone, I have a 22 ranger tremor that has 2800 miles and it to developed that bump on stop and go I bought the slip yoke boot and a tube of the ford TPFE drive shaft lube and total cost was 18 dollars took 30 minutes to remove the drive shaft lube the slip splines and reinstall the shaft the bump is completely gone

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Hello everyone, I have a 22 ranger tremor that has 2800 miles and it to developed that bump on stop and go I bought the slip yoke boot and a tube of the ford TPFE drive shaft lube and total cost was 18 dollars took 30 minutes to remove the drive shaft lube the slip splines and reinstall the shaft the bump is completely gone
Looks like I have a new weekend project coming up.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
The proper lube according to Ford is the XG-8 PTFE Teflon lube, it's been fixing that same problem for well over 30 years.

It's crazy, this exact problem has been going on for so long, years ago at the dealer every line tech and the most of the lube techs all had a tube of that stuff on the bench, and there was always a truck or two in for that same problem.

Some things just don't change, I say bring back the forbidden grease fitting!!

And mine only does it when it's hot outside, so it's really thumping these days.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
Today is my appointment at the dealer for the bumping at Stop/Go, far more pronounced in hot weather. Well if the part actually came in. Hoping it did since they haven’t called , yet lol.

I still don’t understand why they are replacing my driveshaft for this issue if there is a Ford OEM boot kit & grease. In the end I hope the bump is gone because it’s beyond annoying , drives me insane lol. I’ll update later
Sponsored