First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Marine Tech
Noticed since I bought my 2019 XLT 4x4 Sport Subercab that I have a slight vibration/droning at highway speed. It seems to be between 55-65mph with the peak around 58-62mph. Drawing from my past experience as a auto tech, I instantly felt like it was driveline related. I crawled under the truck and found that the middle and rear u-joints are out of phase from the factory, and the shaft is tattooed with balancing weights. I took it to the local dealer that I bought it from. I used to work there years ago and still know a few people there. Hoping Ford steps up and replaces the shaft assembly. I could've reindexed the slip yoke splines to correctly phase it, but it would likely throw the assembly out of balance....and it's still under warranty. Several guys in the Facebook group said they looked after I posted the video, and there's were out of phase also, so I'm not sure what the heck is going on in Ford's driveline shop. Here's the video I filmed.

Sponsored

Novaman71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 xterra
Noticed since I bought my 2019 XLT 4x4 Sport Subercab that I have a slight vibration/droning at highway speed. It seems to be between 55-65mph with the peak around 58-62mph. Drawing from my past experience as a auto tech, I instantly felt like it was driveline related. I crawled under the truck and found that the middle and rear u-joints are out of phase from the factory, and the shaft is tattooed with balancing weights. I took it to the local dealer that I bought it from. I used to work there years ago and still know a few people there. Hoping Ford steps up and replaces the shaft assembly. I could've reindexed the slip yoke splines to correctly phase it, but it would likely throw the assembly out of balance....and it's still under warranty. Several guys in the Facebook group said they looked after I posted the video, and there's were out of phase also, so I'm not sure what the heck is going on in Ford's driveline shop. Here's the video I filmed.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I would definitely take it back to the dealer.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

Very interesting. Never thought to look to see if the shaft all lined up or not. Guess I'll be taking a look at it when I go to do the oil change on it in a day or two.

This might be the cause of the vibration as noted by @commbubba19 in his thread here. If you slow the vid he posted up to .25 speed and watch it from the .30 second mark you can see the carrier bearing jumping all around. The shaft being out of phase as you show may be the cause of his vibration as well as anyone else who is having this issue.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All Rangers are this way. I'm not sure why they make the driveline this way.
HI Matt,

Driveshaft length is determines the critical speed of the shaft. This speed is when the driveshaft starts to "jump rope". When the Driveshaft is too long, critical speed of the shaft can be lowered into the actual vehicle speed range.. Not allowed by Ford. So for longer driveshafts, you can increase the diameter of the shaft, change the material to aluminum or composite, or resort to a two piece shaft which is inherently prone to start up shudder. Why the Ranger program chose the two piece is beyond me, but they did for some reason. This has nothing do do with phasing which is that the U joint Yokes are all aligned. The video with a yard stick is an attempt to show misphased U joints, but failed in my opinion as I could not determine if the two shafts were actually out of phase. Giving benefit of the doubt to the video. It would be that the shafts were one output spline off. The fix is to reindex the the rear driveshaft one spline.

Most times on two piece driveshafts, the misindex is addressed by making the spline shaft with a blocked spline which means the drive shaft and the slip yoke can only go on in one way...but I do not know if the Aussies that designed the Ranger did this.

So my recommendation is to take it back to the dealer for addressing the out of phase driveline.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Makes sense Phil, I noticed the clocked U-joint on my driveshaft while diagnosing a vibration, after lifting my truck. I stopped by the local Ford dealer while on my lunch break after noticing this. Just climbed up a few of them, since the lots are closed here. They are all like this. Time to start playing around with shimming the carrier bearing again and pick up a small variety of angle shims for the rear axle.

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
HI Matt,

Driveshaft length is determines the critical speed of the shaft. This speed is when the driveshaft starts to "jump rope". When the Driveshaft is too long, critical speed of the shaft can be lowered into the actual vehicle speed range.. Not allowed by Ford. So for longer driveshafts, you can increase the diameter of the shaft, change the material to aluminum or composite, or resort to a two piece shaft which is inherently prone to start up shudder. Why the Ranger program chose the two piece is beyond me, but they did for some reason. This has nothing do do with phasing which is that the U joint Yokes are all aligned. The video with a yard stick is an attempt to show misphased U joints, but failed in my opinion as I could not determine if the two shafts were actually out of phase. Giving benefit of the doubt to the video. It would be that the shafts were one output spline off. The fix is to reindex the the rear driveshaft one spline.

Most times on two piece driveshafts, the misindex is addressed by making the spline shaft with a blocked spline which means the drive shaft and the slip yoke can only go on in one way...but I do not know if the Aussies that designed the Ranger did this.

So my recommendation is to take it back to the dealer for addressing the out of phase driveline.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I can see the phasing is out with my bare eyes. The yardstick was my attempt to give a visual for the video. It's most definitely off a spline or two. I also didn't like that the shaft was riddled with weights, having more than one weight on each end in different positions. I've always been taught that "counter balancing" driveshafts and wheels is a big no-no. It has been at the dealership all weekend. I hope that Ford doesn't come back with a "it's a normal characteristic" on the the vibration/drone and/or the shaft phasing. The two may be unrelated, but if I was a betting man I'd place the bet. I too would be curious to know if the shaft splines are able to be reindexed or not. I'm curious to see where this goes, especially since numerous people have stated there's was out of phase as well.

Ben

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Quite interesting to see. I will check thos on my ranger this week at work. It is good to know that you found this as i haven't thought of the phase of the u-joints.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, I can see the phasing is out with my bare eyes. The yardstick was my attempt to give a visual for the video. It's most definitely off a spline or two. I also didn't like that the shaft was riddled with weights, having more than one weight on each end in different positions. I've always been taught that "counter balancing" driveshafts and wheels is a big no-no. It has been at the dealership all weekend. I hope that Ford doesn't come back with a "it's a normal characteristic" on the the vibration/drone and/or the shaft phasing. The two may be unrelated, but if I was a betting man I'd place the bet. I too would be curious to know if the shaft splines are able to be reindexed or not. I'm curious to see where this goes, especially since numerous people have stated there's was out of phase as well.

Ben
Hi Ben,

Agree that this does indeed induce vibration when out of phase u joints are rotating. I also agree that the amount of weight on the driveshaft is almost at the limit where the driveshaft would have to be scrapped, but I will think the dealer will likely not replace the shaft. I have covered phasing in another post, but your post will help others to examine their driveshafts. In this day and age, I am surprised if there is not a blocked spline, but maybe not and the driveshaft assembler was having a bad day... I think the driveshaft comes in PIA from the manufacturer, but do not know for sure. One thing is certain...something is wrong...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
I was told today that they verified the vibration issue and are ordering the driveshaft. After seeing people on here and the FB group saying there's is out of phase also, I'd almost bet the replacement shaft will be also. I'm guessing they're having a supplier issue. Dana/Spicer shouldn't be making that mistake. We shall see if the new one is right....stay tuned

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Interesting discussion, thought I'd check check mine. Both the RWD and FX4 are 12 degrees out of phase.

Would make it 1 spline on a 30 spline slip joint.

OOPS! More care with angle finder, it's 15 degrees, or 1 spline in 24

Can't be a mistake can it? Pinion angle is -2 so no whackyness there so why the consistent phasing issue?

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was told today that they verified the vibration issue and are ordering the driveshaft. After seeing people on here and the FB group saying there's is out of phase also, I'd almost bet the replacement shaft will be also. I'm guessing they're having a supplier issue. Dana/Spicer shouldn't be making that mistake. We shall see if the new one is right....stay tuned
Hi Ben,

Fingers Crossed...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
Interesting discussion, thought I'd check check mine. Both the RWD and FX4 are 12 degrees out of phase.

Would make it 1 spline on a 30 spline slip joint.

Can't be a mistake can it? Pinion angle is -2 so no whackyness there so why the consistent phasing issue?
That's the million dollar question. Just can't see this being "normal". Science is science., and I can't see how any shaft could be an exception.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I checked mine and even though it's a 2WD it too is slightly out of phase. :(

Really makes me want to jack it up and fix it, but with how the end shaft is counter balanced, I'm hesitant as adjusting it may only make it worse.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH