Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
I get that it’s hot for the next few months. I mean turn it off just before killing the engine, then turn it back on soon as you fire up the truck again. Yes, I see that key fob remote start doesn’t automatically turn on the ac when it’s hot like the app does I guess.
Yes it does, I have an aftermarket remote starter that uses the factory fob because the app is unreliable, the AC/heat is turned on when I remote start with a fob.
Sponsored

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
During the winter months here in Minnesota, I shut everything off so that if it's 20 degrees below zero, I don't have anything else taking power from the battery when I need it to start my engine.

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
During the winter months here in Minnesota, I shut everything off so that if it's 20 degrees below zero, I don't have anything else taking power from the battery when I need it to start my engine.
Makes no sense doing that, you realize when the truck is engaging the starter there is no power being applied to equipment such as the blower motor correct?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Ahh Volvo, I love their vehicles... I've tried a million times to get my wife into an XC90 but she will only look at the brand new Buick Enclave Avenir or keep her VW Atlas...
We (she) bought it new in 2002. The first time I drove it, I was like, yeah, this is nice. It's been trouble free for the most part, nothing major. 110k on it now. The wiper motor is sort of noisy, but it still works. I drove it the other day, and while it's still nice, it needs an upgrade after driving the truck for a few months. I didn't say anything to her because she wants to buy a new one when she retires, which may be anywhere between tomorrow and a few years.

We're both going to get PHEV and then drive them until we're dead, which may be anywhere between tomorrow and a few years :)
This is sort of funny, but my wife just asked if she should upgrade. This year, she says, is better for her taxes if she buys a EV car. We're not buying an EV because we're moving to a place (WV) with no infrastructure, but PHEV will work. So, now, my new task is to find her a new Volvo. I'm sort of a anal, researcher, planner. This is what I do best. The game is on! :)

This coming weekend I told her she needs to drive my truck, and then she will be sold. Wish me luck.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Even the garages are no relief from this heat. The temp gauge (garage temps) on the truck will read in triple digits in the mornings when I leave for work. Now I know it's not 100% accurate but it's not uncommon for the truck to be that hot just sitting in the garage.

I hate to tell you but the pool water won't be much better. When it's 110+ outside that water will be like a big ol hot tub. lol Get yourself a big fan and turn it on when you get out as that'll be the only relief. Now night swimming is much better without the blaring sun beating down on you.

When you get back you might have to change your screen name to AzScorpion-2. :LOL:??
Maybe more appropriate: NM ? :LOL:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I have a habit of turning it off, and I also let the engine run a couple of mins before driving it. If its completely cooled off that is. My remote start will turn the AC on (it can run last setting or Auto cool) so I dont have to worry about that. I also have a habit of pulling the Ebrake if IM on a Hill before I put it in park. Just to keep the load of the transmission. Then reverse the process - put in drive release EBrake. Its funny how people have their own ticks with things they value.

Now the annoying thing about my AC turning on with the remote start. When I hit the start button the dang AC will shut off, then I have to turn it back on.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Even the garages are no relief from this heat. The temp gauge (garage temps) on the truck will read in triple digits in the mornings when I leave for work. Now I know it's not 100% accurate but it's not uncommon for the truck to be that hot just sitting in the garage.

I hate to tell you but the pool water won't be much better. When it's 110+ outside that water will be like a big ol hot tub. lol Get yourself a big fan and turn it on when you get out as that'll be the only relief. Now night swimming is much better without the blaring sun beating down on you.

When you get back you might have to change your screen name to AzScorpion-2. :LOL:??
Just curious, are the/your garage doors insulated?

:LOL: :LOL:

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Sooooo, I might be an idiot but I DO turn off the A/C and run at idle for maybe 20-30 seconds before shutdown. This is in an attempt to lessen the under-hood temp by allowing the cooling fluid circulation and fan action to continue without the A/C condenser active. This also allows the turbo to spool down. I don't have remote start, so I just turn it on when restarting. When I'm home, I also pop the hood to let excess heat escape. My garage door and ceiling are insulated. I have an in-ceiling exhaust fan to draw the hot air into the attic. The attic has a temperature and humidity controlled fan to exhaust that air outside and draw in fresh air from the opposite side of the house. I understand this practice is also beneficial in preventing (or at least delaying) the dreaded intake carbon build up. It should also help with battery life (which is kind of a joke in AZ).

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I leave it on. Even if the clutch is engages while cranking, I think if that little extra drag is enough to cause starting issued, you probably have more serious issues you should be worried about.

In that same vain, my mom always turned off her car radio when she turned off the engine. I never could convince her is was un-necessary. One of those things you learned when young and can't get out of your head.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooo, I might be an idiot but I DO turn off the A/C and run at idle for maybe 20-30 seconds before shutdown. This is in an attempt to lessen the under-hood temp by allowing the cooling fluid circulation and fan action to continue without the A/C condenser active. This also allows the turbo to spool down. I don't have remote start, so I just turn it on when restarting. When I'm home, I also pop the hood to let excess heat escape. My garage door and ceiling are insulated. I have an in-ceiling exhaust fan to draw the hot air into the attic. The attic has a temperature and humidity controlled fan to exhaust that air outside and draw in fresh air from the opposite side of the house. I understand this practice is also beneficial in preventing (or at least delaying) the dreaded intake carbon build up. It should also help with battery life (which is kind of a joke in AZ).
It took 6 pages for anybody to mention it but this is a valid argument for turning off AC before shutdown. By extension, overall lower under-hood temps will reduce the long term effects of turbo coking.

Absolutely necessary? No. Best practice? Probably.

https://volvoceblog.com/ending-hot-turbo-shutdowns-an-easy-fix-to-prevent-costly-repairs/

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Turning off A/C and other accessories is an old school way of thinking. Fuel injected cars of today start incredibly reliably. Going back to the 70’s and earlier, starting your carbureted car was often an anxiety inducing situation. You could flood it, or even run the battery down if the process dragged on, so people turned off the A/C, radio, etc. to give the battery every fighting chance. Chryslers of the era, in particular, had notoriously bad starters.

This is the way starting your car every day went…..listen closely and you can hear him pumping the gas peddle before cranking. Every car had a magic number of required peddle pumps to ensure ignition, but avoid flooding.

Yeah, back in the day I figured out to turn the key to ON so the electric choke got power, pump the gas to the floor once, then turn the key. Most of the time that worked but if it didn't by the third try then it was flooded and you were screwed. Then you had to hold the gas pedal to the floor, counter-intuitive I know, and crank it until the flooding cleared out. Then try it again by which time you'd blow a lot of smoke and raw gas out the tailpipe and you smelled like you just got done walking behind a lawnmower.
I note that when the auto stop/start feature is on it takes about a half-second for the Ranger to start so I don't think it's straining anything to start with the A/C on.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Yesterday, I touched the Saber paint surface of the Truck in the heat of the day and it surprisingly was not as hot as expected...hopefully this will help prevent any serious sun damage :like:. Pray for :rain:.

TURN IT DOWN!
1623697097870.png
Keep it waxed. Even Oxford White will oxidize and turn chalky over time

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Unless you have the ignition in ACC, all the ancillary electric and electronic components, except for the lights, don't power up until a few seconds after the vehicle is running.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It took 6 pages for anybody to mention it but this is a valid argument for turning off AC before shutdown. By extension, overall lower under-hood temps will reduce the long term effects of turbo coking.

https://volvoceblog.com/ending-hot-turbo-shutdowns-an-easy-fix-to-prevent-costly-repairs/
Keep it waxed. Even Oxford White will oxidize and turn chalky over time
Definitely. Several months ago, I did a clay bar and wax to the hood before installing the AVS Bug Deflector. What did you do to your Ranger today? | Page 445 | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com I am getting ready to do the same for the rest of the paint surface now that summer is on. This especially has to be followed carefully when you are in a dry, hot desert area or you can say goodbye to the paint job. I always keep this up on my vehicles. The 2011 Ranger that was exchanged for this one had a like new paint surface when she went in :)

Side.jpg

Front Angle.jpg

Back Angle.jpg

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond

Must be a Volvo/Detroit thing. Caterpillar, Paccar and Cummins diesels don't have this and will go >1M mi. before an overhaul incl. turbo change-out. With ultra low sulphur Diesel 2 running in a modern SCR diesel, (2010 or newer), turbo failures results as much or more from manufacturing defects than any temperature related problems. Air-to-air & oil or water cooled turbos control and shed excess heat almost as rapidly as it builds.

There's nothing in the 2021 Ranger owner's manual (pp141-149) under Starting and Stopping the Engine recommending a cool down period.
Sponsored