Clicking behind HVAC manual controls when turning off/on.

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT sport package 4x4
Hi all,
I am New to this forum but I always read the stories and helpful comments that you all provide.
I’ve had my 2020 ranger XLT sport in for this issue and they couldn’t get it to replicate.

Where: behind HVAC manual controls.

Issue: When the truck is fully warmed and I have the HVAC blowing warm air for a long time (75-85 degrees), each time I turn on/off the HVAC there is a clunking/creaking noise (ka-kuh-ka-Kuh-ka) that almost sounds like a blend door catching as it changes position.
Only happens when turning HVAC on/off. The air blows fine. It does it not matter what speed or direction it is on.
Dealer is scratching their head (we don’t admit to knowing).
Any one have a similar issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Danny15l

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,
I am New to this forum but I always read the stories and helpful comments that you all provide.
I’ve had my 2020 ranger XLT sport in for this issue and they couldn’t get it to replicate.

Where: behind HVAC manual controls.

Issue: When the truck is fully warmed and I have the HVAC blowing warm air for a long time (75-85 degrees), each time I turn on/off the HVAC there is a clunking/creaking noise (ka-kuh-ka-Kuh-ka) that almost sounds like a blend door catching as it changes position.
Only happens when turning HVAC on/off. The air blows fine. It does it not matter what speed or direction it is on.
Dealer is scratching their head (we don’t admit to knowing).
Any one have a similar issue?
Also, it has the Electronic controls on the touch screen interface.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Also, it has the Electronic controls on the touch screen interface.
If you can duplicate it on demand, then go back to the dealer and show the problem to them. You may want to make a video of it as well. If they are still clueless, then you probably need to find another dealer to work on it.

OP
OP
Danny15l

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im pretty sure you diagnosed your own problem.

you have the beginnings of a blend door issue.

trouble is, the stealerships will give you the run around until something is totally broken, not just partially.
Ford has had door blend issues forever. I had an 07’ towncar that had a blend door issue at 100k. The fix for it was removing the dash and replacing the actuators. Which is why I sold the car instead. For is like your said, rejecting customers until they actually have to replace it. Too bad this is usually a problem that occurs after the warranty is up.

OP
OP
Danny15l

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im pretty sure you diagnosed your own problem.

you have the beginnings of a blend door issue.

trouble is, the stealerships will give you the run around until something is totally broken, not just partially.
Appreciate the reply, the ford dealers out here in Washington state are hit or miss. Don’t want to drop off my truck at the dealer to tell me they didn’t find anything. Luckily it hasn’t done it in a few weeks now. I’ve read online and YouTubed that dirt can get into the sensor part of the actuator motor and cause it act funky when choosing/changing position.
Sponsored