Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

Deleted member 1634

a few have hit a little something that is some hidden wisdom I've learned.

what alot of folks don't do is run their AC year round. why would you do this during the winter!?!? WELL...you keep those seals good and lubed when the compressor is moving the suspended oil in the freon (or whatever numerical sequence it is now...back in my day it was still R12) But that little trick worked pretty well for most folks who had the "fancy" cars with the ATC back in the day (normally Lincolns, Caddys, Olds, Buick and Mercs...also the various Euro rides who installed AC's like Mercedes and Jags)...that would keep the compressor working and contrary to popular opinion it would keep the systems working longer. Of course using Defrost would generally kick on the compressor as well and would work well in many situations.
I actually run my A/C almost as much in the winter as in the summer. Though, to be fair, I don't run the A/C much in the summer. In the winter I run it to prevent condensation buildup in the cabin, which then freezes and ices up the inside of the windows. It's never fun taking the ice scraper to the inside of the windshield to be able to see out. Especially prevalent when it's snowing hard. Get inside a nice warm cabin covered in snow and all that snow evaporates into the cabin air. Before you know it things are fogging up and freezing on the areas of the windows the defroster and heat doesn't adequately meet.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, we are weather wimps here in Albuquerque compared to Phoenix and Las Vegas :sun:. Only 100 yesterday. The highest temp ever recorded here was 107.1°F. Will possibly be traveling to Phoenix in mid-July and find out what REAL heat is like ? :tumbleweed: :sunglasses:.

I never use remote start at home because the Ranger is always garaged...if I did, you probably wouldn't get anymore posts from me :LOL:. Don't use it from public places either...we have some of the highest rates of auto theft in the nation. Hope I never have to use the vehicle locater for that purpose :frown:. Yesterday, I touched the Saber paint surface of the Truck in the heat of the day and it surprisingly was not as hot as expected...hopefully this will help prevent any serious sun damage :like:. Pray for :rain:.

TURN IT DOWN!
1623697097870.png
Paul, where are you going to be staying when you come down here? July is a tough month because we're right in the middle monsoon season then. Temps are still around 108 but the humidity is higher so it's very uncomfortable. That's why we usually take one of our vacations the last week of July just to get out of it and break it up a bit. Some years we head up to CO but most we'll stay local and go up to Flagstaff where it's only in the mid 80's but nights cool down into the 60's. It's depressing watching the outside temp gauge climb as you come back down into the valley. ?

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Paul, where are you going to be staying when you come down here? July is a tough month because we're right in the middle monsoon season then. Temps are still around 108 but the humidity is higher so it's very uncomfortable. That's why we usually take one of our vacations the last week of July just to get out of it and break it up a bit. Some years we head up to CO but most we'll stay loyal and go up to Flagstaff where it's only in the mid 80's but nights cool down into the 60's. It's depressing watching the outside temp gauge climb as you come back down into the valley. ?
Dave, Just so happens that I will be going to a family re-union in Flagstaff at the start of the trip and then afterwards a possibility that in either Mesa, or Scottsdale to do some house sitting for other relatives. I been there before in July and you would think I'd know better :crazy:. Maybe I'm turning into an Arizona ? :LOL: . At least I can park the Ranger in a garage and swim in the pool :clap:. Hope I can take the punishment and come come back in one piece :whew:.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, Just so happens that I will be going to a family re-union in Flagstaff at the start of the trip and then afterwards a possibility that in either Mesa, or Scottsdale to do some house sitting for other relatives. I been there before in July and you would think I'd know better :crazy:. Maybe I'm turning into an Arizona ? :LOL: .

At least I can park the Ranger in a garage and swim in the pool :clap:. Hope I can take the punishment and come come back in one piece :whew:.

Even the garages are no relief from this heat. The temp gauge (garage temps) on the truck will read in triple digits in the mornings when I leave for work. Now I know it's not 100% accurate but it's not uncommon for the truck to be that hot just sitting in the garage.

I hate to tell you but the pool water won't be much better. When it's 110+ outside that water will be like a big ol hot tub. lol Get yourself a big fan and turn it on when you get out as that'll be the only relief. Now night swimming is much better without the blaring sun beating down on you.

When you get back you might have to change your screen name to AzScorpion-2. :LOL:??

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I’ve always been told (not lately though) to Always turn off the AC before turning off the vehicle. Is this another of my personal outdated “car-isms” or could it actually be Beneficial to the AC compressor and clutch? My trucks ASS still activates even w the AC on, once it cools the cabin down, so as long as I let ASS be then it’s going against what I’ve always been told on its on.
We don't use our air conditioning in the Ranger much. But yes, we always turn the air conditioning off, BUT leave the fan on high.

In previous vehicles we've owned if you didn't do this the next time you got in and turned the air conditioning on, the air coming out the vents would stink something horrible.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
We're starting to look at other areas now just now sure on where to go. Wherever we go one prerequisite is it has to be a pro 2A state and no long cold winters. I hate being cold but it's been just getting hotter and hotter here especially with all the building going on.
Stay in Arizona, move to Payson.

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Even the garages are no relief from this heat. The temp gauge (garage temps) on the truck will read in triple digits in the mornings when I leave for work. Now I know it's not 100% accurate but it's not uncommon for the truck to be that hot just sitting in the garage.

I hate to tell you but the pool water won't be much better. When it's 110+ outside that water will be like a big ol hot tub. lol Get yourself a big fan and turn it on when you get out as that'll be the only relief. Now night swimming is much better without the blaring sun beating down on you.

When you get back you might have to change your screen name to AzScorpion-2. :LOL:??
Just curious, are the/your garage doors insulated?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
We don't use our air conditioning in the Ranger much. But yes, we always turn the air conditioning off, BUT leave the fan on high.

In previous vehicles we've owned if you didn't do this the next time you got in and turned the air conditioning on, the air coming out the vents would stink something horrible.
On my wifes Volvo, the fans run for 15 minutes after you shut it off. Does the Ranger do something similar? If not, then wonder why it would help dry stuff out?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Stay in Arizona, move to Payson.
It's a nice area over there and same with the White Mountain area. I do love this area I'm in now as it's close to everything and we're going to explore a lot of places before making a wrong decision. I'm planning to retire in a few years so I don't want to move before that and I'm already established here business wise. If I could stop buying stuff I would just retire now. lol

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
On my wifes Volvo, the fans run for 15 minutes after you shut it off. Does the Ranger do something similar? If not, then wonder why it would help dry stuff out?
Ahh Volvo, I love their vehicles... I've tried a million times to get my wife into an XC90 but she will only look at the brand new Buick Enclave Avenir or keep her VW Atlas...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just curious, are the/your garage doors insulated?
No they're not and neither are the garage walls except the one to the house. In this heat they're really useless anyways. My buddy went through this when he turned his garage into a man cave. He spray foamed the walls but couldn't figure out a way to stop the heat from coming in through and around his garage door. He finally made up 3 insulated foam panels the lock into place around the door so he can easily remove them. That finally worked and now he can cool it off in less than 20 minutes with a window ac he mounted in the back wall.

Our water heaters are in the garage and I turn mine off around late March - Oct. The water is still steaming hot coming out even on the cold side which sucks when you want a cold shower and it's hot! With no frost here the main water pipes aren't buried deep like most places. I always say I can tell when summers over when the cold water flows again.

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
No they're not and neither are the garage walls except the one to the house. In this heat they're really useless anyways. My buddy went through this when he turned his garage into a man cave. He spray foamed the walls but couldn't figure out a way to stop the heat from coming in through and around his garage door. He finally made up 3 insulated foam panels the lock into place around the door so he can easily remove them. That finally worked and now he can cool it off in less than 20 minutes with a window ac he mounted in the back wall.

Our water heaters are in the garage and I turn mine off around late March - Oct. The water is still steaming hot coming out even on the cold side which sucks when you want a cold shower and it's hot! With no frost here the main water pipes aren't buried deep like most places. I always say I can tell when summers over when the cold water flows again.
wow that is insane - I was just curious because I'm tempted to buy the insulating panels for our garage door to keep some of the heat out..... our frost line isn't extremely deep either so the water lines are close to the surface, which is bad when it DOES freeze like last year..... This is a pic of the MAIN WATER LINE coming into our house. I had to add the insulation to it after it froze last "winter" (2 days it got in the 30s lol.)
1623708261727.png

1623708276879.png

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Ahh Volvo, I love their vehicles... I've tried a million times to get my wife into an XC90 but she will only look at the brand new Buick Enclave Avenir or keep her VW Atlas...
We (she) bought it new in 2002. The first time I drove it, I was like, yeah, this is nice. It's been trouble free for the most part, nothing major. 110k on it now. The wiper motor is sort of noisy, but it still works. I drove it the other day, and while it's still nice, it needs an upgrade after driving the truck for a few months. I didn't say anything to her because she wants to buy a new one when she retires, which may be anywhere between tomorrow and a few years.

We're both going to get PHEV and then drive them until we're dead, which may be anywhere between tomorrow and a few years :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
wow that is insane - I was just curious because I'm tempted to buy the insulating panels for our garage door to keep some of the heat out..... our frost line isn't extremely deep either so the water lines are close to the surface, which is bad when it DOES freeze like last year..... This is a pic of the MAIN WATER LINE coming into our house. I had to add the insulation to it after it froze last "winter" (2 days it got in the 30s lol.)
1623708261727.png

1623708276879.png

That's exactly how ours are too. We do get a few cold nights throughout the winter where it can get into the upper 20's and I'll wrap mine like you did. The insulating panel probably work good for you as your temps don't get as high but not sure about your high humidity though.

Last edited: