DIY: Adding the 12V Power Outlet Option in the Bed

RangerMunkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Munkey,

Ford for many years has tried to design vehicles such that the aftermarket can produce what we as a manufacturer cannot as the market is limited to a very few compared to our production of hundred of thousand vehicle. So we try to make the vehicles modifiable to the limited numbers of owners. Thus Ford Performance or its predecessor SVO addressed this to a degree... so to slam Ford for not giving you what you want as we call you, right or wrong, the "Lunatic fringe" We do not offer things that appeal to a few at the expense of the many.

So look at the need you have as an opportunity like Wodlhaus to make some bucks.
Sorry man, it was just a joke. I mean that Ford "cares" about us as much as any multinational mega corp... So it was not meant as like a personal slam on Ford, or folks like you that work there... More of a Wolf is a one man shop and ford is a megacorp kinda thing.

I see how what I wrote could seem dickish to someone like you that works there, etc. so sorry about that man.
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Any update to this project? I’m really looking forward to a plug and play solution for bed lights.
Slowly. The switch adapter is pretty good now, and takes any "long" 12mm pushbutton style switch (the anti vandal type). Working on the LED adapters, and those should take any 11mm bolt style LED.

But focusing on getting a coffee roaster installed at our farm soon, so that's been the priority … lol

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry man, it was just a joke. I mean that Ford "cares" about us as much as any multinational mega corp... So it was not meant as like a personal slam on Ford, or folks like you that work there... More of a Wolf is a one man shop and ford is a megacorp kinda thing.

I see how what I wrote could seem dickish to someone like you that works there, etc. so sorry about that man.
Lol, all in jest. Ford can't think of every possible situation for everything. Though, if I was an manager at Ford, I'd have made them just include bed lights and power... Especially considering what they were trying to compete with.

Oh well. Just like the guy that makes the trim piece for the ignition thingy, ingenuity comes in all forms.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Lol, all in jest. Ford can't think of every possible situation for everything. Though, if I was an manager at Ford, I'd have made them just include bed lights and power... Especially considering what they were trying to compete with.

Oh well. Just like the guy that makes the trim piece for the ignition thingy, ingenuity comes in all forms.
Just ordered mine today. Great idea, now get the switch worked out my bed lights are waiting.

Keep up the good work, Ethan.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Once they open the site back up for orders, I'll be ordering the V-5 Split so I can add bed lights with the switch they're working on :thumbsup:

Edit....I just discovered the new website....I saved the old website but it wasn't working/taking orders. The link is in @WLFPIR8 's name/info on the L side of his posts.

And I just finished ordering the V5 :like: (Sunday at 4am)
Shipped Monday morning :rockon: AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Slowly. The switch adapter is pretty good now, and takes any "long" 12mm pushbutton style switch (the anti vandal type). Working on the LED adapters, and those should take any 11mm bolt style LED.

But focusing on getting a coffee roaster installed at our farm soon, so that's been the priority … lol
I see you teasing us with that video on Facebook. Getting closer it seems.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Yes, there's 2 batteries inside running parallel. The Powerbox is designed to run off of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. But they are VERY very expensive. ( one is nearly $700) So I did some modifications so it can use lead acid batteries. All I did was remove the large power adapter and placed the smaller Anderson powerpoles. All I want to do is charge up my phone and use the light for emergencies.

Head to this site. ----> https://powerwerx.com/ You'll be like a kid in a toy store!! :p

Here's a direct link to the powerbox.
https://powerwerx.com/megabox-portable-power-box-bioenno-batteries

If you want to build your own, There's a few on Amazon I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DJUXES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one above has a lid to hide the panel mount USB ports. And it has a tray inside.

This one below is smaller. It comes in many colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWTMC6J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
This is fantastic, thank you!

Do you know if this MEGAbox can jumpstart the Ranger?
Also, any chance to have a pics of your modification, along with cost and links?

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This is fantastic, thank you!

Do you know if this MEGAbox can jumpstart the Ranger?
Also, any chance to have a pics of your modification, along with cost and links?
No, it can not jumpstart the Ranger. It's not designed for that.

Here is a picture of the modification. You can pretty much see what is needed.

20210429_192208.jpg

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Finished a little DIY bed lights and 12 volt outlet. Used some leftover stuff from work. Turned out nice and the price was right free
20210428_152247.jpg
20210428_193542.jpg

Sorry soccer stuff for kid still in back.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
No, it can not jumpstart the Ranger. It's not designed for that.

Here is a picture of the modification. You can pretty much see what is needed.

20210429_192208.jpg
Awesome, thanks!

Phrosty

First Name
Phrosty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Fx4 2020
Occupation
Security
I didn't want to put any holes in my bed, and I have a drop in bed liner so I just rerouted the wires around instead of through. I think there is enough room to mount the socket in the bed liner itself under the access hole for tye downs.

20190721_094747.jpg

20190721_094827.jpg
Have you mounted this on the plastic yet?

Cristhian

First Name
Cristhian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
I just did my DIY setup for my bed. I used the Wolf Haus harness and a small fuse box. connected the bed lights and a small power inverter to the fuse box already and have some connections available if I need to add some stuff later...
20210508_123754.jpg

FiveChime

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Worker bee
Does any know if we can use forescan to make this circuit active after an unlock? The bed light will be great when I arrive in the dark, but if I need to load in the dark it would be nice not to have to put the key in the ignition to enable the bed lights.
THIS! Anybody know? I’d love to use this outlet but what good is it if I unlock my truck and need to put something in the bed before starting? I’m thinking I may have to direct wire from the battery and use a relay to trigger the circuit power off of the unlock lights.

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
THIS! Anybody know? I’d love to use this outlet but what good is it if I unlock my truck and need to put something in the bed before starting? I’m thinking I may have to direct wire from the battery and use a relay to trigger the circuit power off of the unlock lights.
I think this might be as close as it gets without extra wiring.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I think this might be as close as it gets without extra wiring.
Correct!
Thanks for searching that out!
That's exactly the post I was going to respond with.
That does work.
I would go with a long timeout rather than off as I have done. I think max is 18 hours, check the wiki
Sponsored