Survey: Options for mounting QuickFist clamps in the bed

Deleted member 1634

That looks like it was meant to be.... well done!

As long as your just attaching items such as the shovel shown, no worries.

I believe the initial concern was that you would be strapping cargo, lets say... something like hauling home a kitchen refrigerator, and strapping it down to the sheet metal wall of the bed, via a small rivnut. That would be scary.
My concern would be any corrosion starting points from exposing the metal of the bed. If you wet installed/sealed/painted the holes drilled then it should be fine. Especially since the bed on this truck is steel and not aluminum or composite.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
My concern would be any corrosion starting points from exposing the metal of the bed. If you wet installed/sealed/painted the holes drilled then it should be fine. Especially since the bed on this truck is steel and not aluminum or composite.
You worry to much ;)

You could also worry about galvanic reaction happening between the rivenut and the steel bed.

Don't worry... be happy!

Rust We Trust.jpg

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Well, you told me not to, but I did it anyway. If this fails in the long run, I'll at least be happy to have this serve as a clear warning to others. Anyway, in the end, I decided to mount the QuickFists straight into the bed using JackNuts. This option was chosen for two reasons: 1) I couldn't easily remove the splash guard thanks to a few steel rivets that i didnt want to dill out and 2) I could never figure out how to connect the L-track to QuickFist. So here you have it: A few progress pics and the final product.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg
I think this was the best option. also, if you ever sell the truck or remove those mounts, just throw a little black paint over them and you'd never know they're there. BUT, you might end up wanting to put a washer on the screw side of the quick fist, looks like that phillips head could pull through the rubber. I know the last time I used these they came with little black plastic square washers that fit perfectly into the recessed area.

Keith Vlk

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keithvlk.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Creative (Photo/Video/Motion Graphics)
Well, you told me not to, but I did it anyway. If this fails in the long run, I'll at least be happy to have this serve as a clear warning to others. Anyway, in the end, I decided to mount the QuickFists straight into the bed using JackNuts. This option was chosen for two reasons: 1) I couldn't easily remove the splash guard thanks to a few steel rivets that i didnt want to dill out and 2) I could never figure out how to connect the L-track to QuickFist. So here you have it: A few progress pics and the final product.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg
Sorry to bring this back to life after all this time, just curious as to how the rivnuts are holding up? Looking to do a shovel/axe mount in my bed and was thinking of doing this exact thing.

OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sorry to bring this back to life after all this time, just curious as to how the rivnuts are holding up? Looking to do a shovel/axe mount in my bed and was thinking of doing this exact thing.
As far as I can tell, the rivnuts are holding up just fine. And the combination with the quickfists has made for a very secure shovel mount that can still be accessed easily. I should note that I do live in the great basin, and automotive rust/corrosion (my main concern in the long run) is far less of a factor than in coastal regions. But, if I were to do it over again, I would have done a few things differently to try and reduce that risk even more. Someone suggested to wet-drill the pilot holes, and I think thats a great idea. Plus, I definitely scraped the crap out of the metal when removing the factory bed liner from around the holes.... not sure how I could have done that any better, but be careful and try to do it as cleanly as possible if thats in your future. I did use some nail polish to try to seal things back up before the final install, but who knows how much that will really help. Good luck!

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
I used quick fist clamps on my Raptor for seven years. Most were just sheet metal screws, but a couple used plastic anchors. Zero rust. For serious Baja-style off-roading, extra clamps support heavier object like axe heads. I mounted a shovel, axe, and racing jack handle.

The last picture shows when I upgraded the axe mount to use 4 clamps. The axe came loose once when I hit some whoops, so the extra clamps on the axe head sheath secured it perfectly.

C8B7EC63-1C54-4BBF-AFF6-0E51C147DC7E.jpeg
6825BB33-DBB5-4158-AE8B-DB09E5616AC7.jpeg
B66B42C3-CB00-43D8-9BAE-893E27752F0F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusting_for_vomit

Dusting_for_vomit

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I used quick fist clamps on my Raptor for seven years. Most were just sheet metal screws, but a couple used plastic anchors. Zero rust. For serious Baja-style off-roading, extra clamps support heavier object like axe heads. I mounted a shovel, axe, and racing jack handle.

The last picture shows when I upgraded the axe mount to use 4 clamps. The axe came loose once when I hit some whoops, so the extra clamps on the axe head sheath secured it perfectly.

C8B7EC63-1C54-4BBF-AFF6-0E51C147DC7E.jpeg
6825BB33-DBB5-4158-AE8B-DB09E5616AC7.jpeg
B66B42C3-CB00-43D8-9BAE-893E27752F0F.jpeg
Awesome.... Yeah, I totally assumed people had done exactly what you did to your raptor, but for some reason could not find any good info. And even just sheet metal screws? Wow, I guess I kind of over thought this one haha.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Awesome.... Yeah, I totally assumed people had done exactly what you did to your raptor, but for some reason could not find any good info. And even just sheet metal screws? Wow, I guess I kind of over thought this one haha.
I believe that because my bed was sprayed with LineX, the bed walls are more rigid than a non-lined bed. Also, if you removed them, you could plug the hole with a little dab of black sealant.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I took a different route. The beauty of what I did is it didn't require any modification to the truck what so ever, and I can quickly remove everything if I need to use the whole of my truck bed for hauling crap. On the negative side, it's a bit clunky and limits bed storage with the items and storage method installed. Some of these things will be moving up and onto a bed rack soon-ish. The real benefit will be when the stuff is mounted to the bed rack, and I load up to go camping. I'll have secure points for securing a dual fuel generator, a 20 lb. LPG tank, and cooking gear.
2020-10-31 17.19.51.jpg

2020-10-31 17.19.34.jpg
Sponsored