ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
As I posted in another thread. I have ordered (what I and a dealer parts guy) think is needed to add the outlet. Including hardware and the sub-harness. I will post pics of the install and part numbers to those interested. Waiting on parts from Detroit. Just a FYI drilling is required.

NOTE: 19N236B in the diagram below is not the correct part number. Should be 19N236A. See post #3 below for correct part numbers and quantities.

12v power.png

Parts.png
Parts2.png
Just ordered these parts from a local dealership... $130 with tax.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Just ordered these parts from a local dealership... $130 with tax.
Drilling is required only if you want to mount the outlet to the bed wall, correct? Could you thread the wires (perhaps with an extension) through an open port in the bed and mount it to something such as a frame inside the bed?

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Drilling is required only if you want to mount the outlet to the bed wall, correct? Could you thread the wires (perhaps with an extension) through an open port in the bed and mount it to something such as a frame inside the bed?
You could do that yes.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
You could but the wiring harness extension isn't very long. Don't think it'd reach most of the open ports.

Guess you could always modify it.

12V Bed Acc Plug Installed.jpg

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
All the right parts.
12 volt for box.jpg

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up and pics! I wanted this in my Ranger but was told not available. My question is, you mentioned a dummy plug under the truck. Is this plug hot with 12 volts? If yes is it hot all the time or keyed to the accessories? I'm asking because this would be a perfect location for me to gain 12 volts of power for the bed lights I plan to install. If yes to my questions would I need a special plug that I could clip on end off of and end up with a positive and negative wire?
Using this would save me a lot of time and busted buckles fishing a wire back.

Ok for the install you will need a 2-1/8” hole saw, 5/16” drill bit, flat and round file, Rust preventative paint of your choice.

Drill a 2-1/8” hole in the side bed wall near the left rear cleat. (See photos below) Use caution when drilling or you will end up with dings protruding from your outer fender. You can position a block of wood or stuff a bunch of rags up into the cavity from below to orevent damage.

Insert the power port body into the opening and mark the location of the 4 screw holes. Drill 4- 5/16” holes. Debur all holes using a round file.

Using a flat file, in the large opening, create 4 flat areas adjacent to the 5/16” holes. Insert the 4 captive nuts into the body with the threads inboard the fender. Paint all exposed metal with rust preventative paint.
Install the sub-harness onto the socket and feed the wire down the inner fender well. Install 4 retaining screws.

Under the truck, remove the dummy plug from the body harness and insert the power port sub-harness. There is one large hole on the sheet metal pillar opposite the tail light cavity for the “christmas tree style” zip tie retainer that is included on the sub-harness.
I ended up adding a few extra zip ties to secure the wiring.
Thats about it. Time-about 30 minutes.
Pics below...

29066F99-D2D6-48D6-9721-44E8FA4D0B2C.jpeg

1FF43193-031D-486A-BED5-F9431C39FECB.jpeg

F745CD01-A0A7-4235-88D8-BDB91A4C9DCF.jpeg

4B7FFECD-AF32-4BBD-BC86-31DBC3BAD8D8.jpeg

93035239-592E-47B8-A8A7-D26CCC89AC9F.jpeg

A47834D0-D886-4C6D-A2A5-60C21FFEE207.jpeg

82710DC2-769D-4FFB-A042-6766850A7B27.jpeg

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
...My question is, you mentioned a dummy plug under the truck. Is this plug hot with 12 volts? If yes is it hot all the time or keyed to the accessories? I'm asking because this would be a perfect location for me to gain 12 volts of power for the bed lights I plan to install. If yes to my questions would I need a special plug that I could clip on end off of and end up with a positive and negative wire?
The plug is down near the frame...you could use the 12V outlet harness (seen above) and modify as needed. It's not hot all the time, but there's a long delay after the vehicle is switched off. If I remember right, the delay can be changed using Forscan from 10 minutes to 1 hour. I think standard was 30 minutes. If you're going to use the harness wire I'd consider going ahead and putting in the outlet and tapping off it for your lights. Simple job...just a thought.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up and pics! I wanted this in my Ranger but was told not available. My question is, you mentioned a dummy plug under the truck. Is this plug hot with 12 volts? If yes is it hot all the time or keyed to the accessories? I'm asking because this would be a perfect location for me to gain 12 volts of power for the bed lights I plan to install. If yes to my questions would I need a special plug that I could clip on end off of and end up with a positive and negative wire?
Here's some parts of a thread where this can answer some of your questions.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-lights.2167/#post-29893

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-lights.2167/#post-30744

MattJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I didn't want to put any holes in my bed, and I have a drop in bed liner so I just rerouted the wires around instead of through. I think there is enough room to mount the socket in the bed liner itself under the access hole for tye downs.

20190721_094747.jpg

20190721_094827.jpg

Art S

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
For those with the trailer tow package, is the 12 volt at the 7-pin connector always available? That would make it easy for occasional use in the bed area.
No it is not, and that's a real shame. The smart tow turns off the power to the 7 pin connector until it senses that it is needed to charge the trailers battery. I wish there was a way to make the 12V hot all the time like they have been for many years!

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I am liking very much, the ability to add a 12 VDC receptacle in the bed without needing to order the plastic bed liner of the Bed Utility Package.
However I am thinking of modifying the setup a bit. I am not wanting a cigarette lighter type receptacle.
I will be buying the factory wiring jumper (KB3Z 14A411A) that plugs into the factory socket underneath, but instead of the factory bulkhead socket, I will most likely buying a Marine Socket/Plug set, such as:
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/marinco-connect-pro-2-wire-receptacle-and-plug.html
Then I can wire the plug directly into the bed lights and not fear water intrusion into the connection.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Installed mine today. Moved it a bit away from the cargo hook.
This has been pretty much the only complaint I've had other then the lack of mud flaps on this pickup. I made it harder on myself with the drop in liner but it irks me when I'm trying to use that driver rear cargo hook and have to fight with the 12v receptacle.

Reactions: EJH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 screw xlt fx4
Anyone want to share the specs on these screws so the rest aren’t paying 30 bucks when they can go to the hardware store and get them and the clips for like $5?
Sponsored