Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
You must have thick bedliner. I have factory spray-in and the adapter popped right in.
Factory spray, too. Mine wouldnt fit, too bumpy
Sponsored

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
18 pages here...

Please advise.. What are the pros/cons of Wolfhaus over the $65 oem approach that began this thread?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
18 pages here...

Please advise.. What are the pros/cons of Wolfhaus over the $65 oem approach that began this thread?
LOL cant remember how thread started!
But having went with Wolfhaus I can say its a very clean plug and play install, requires no hole cutting and has the option to have a pig tail tap added for another power circuit for things like bed lights.
Ethan has made a really nice product. Some might argue its $$$, BUT its quality construction and we are supporting a fellow Ranger/Forum member trying to make a living and help us all out at the same time. Well worth the cost IMHO.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
18 pages here...

No cutting/drilling of the bed. Some people prefer the ability to wire directly instead of using the cigarette socket plug (which can work loose, not be weather sealed) and the Wolf Haus option allows different types of wiring methods. Much faster install time (few minutes). Both are about the same price, but labor is the defining difference for most.

But don't take my word for it, others can chime in (or have previously in this thread).

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
No cutting/drilling of the bed. Some people prefer the ability to wire directly instead of using the cigarette socket plug (which can work loose, not be weather sealed) and the Wolf Haus option allows different types of wiring methods. Much faster install time (few minutes). Both are about the same price, but labor is the defining difference for most.

But don't take my word for it, others can chime in (or have previously in this thread).
Loud and clear.. Thanks for the responses.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The downside to the wolfhaus is the pigtail adapter vs plugging cig lighter in directly. Dictated, I assume, by the depth of the hole and maybe the width. The upside is the much simpler install with no complex hole cutting/drilling. (I wish Ford had gone with a lockring and a simple circle; I guess the complex hole is easier/cheaper from a labor perspective at the factory if you have a $100k custom hole cutting machine to do the hard part.) I actually like the placement better on the wolfhaus, ford's seems too easy to bust up sitting in the lower rear of the bed. That might even be why they only offer it with the drop-in bedliner.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
18 pages here...

The pro of the Wolfhaus option is the ease of install, specifically no need to drill or cut into our beds. This option is also higher up in the bed, in case you have the swing tool boxes, or want to reach it easier from the side.

The main pro of the OEM Ford option is there is no 'dongle' needed for the 12V plug.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The main pro of the OEM Ford option is there is no 'dongle' needed for the 12V plug.
Thats both a pro and a con. The cig lighter approach can be accidentally pulled out. Wolfhaus offers a plug in pig tail that you can direct wire and cannot be pulled out accidentally from the bed wall connector. Not sure where that would be useful, but its gotta be for someone! I like haveing more than I need now for future unknown needs. Wait does that make me a hoarder! ?

Anybody on the fence just support the fellow RANGER5Ger

Reactions: EJH

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
Thats both a pro and a con. The cig lighter approach can be accidentally pulled out. Wolfhaus offers a plug in pig tail that you can direct wire and cannot be pulled out accidentally from the bed wall connector. Not sure where that would be useful, but its gotta be for someone! I like haveing more than I need now for future unknown needs. Wait does that make me a hoarder! ?

Anybody on the fence just support the fellow RANGER5Ger
Yeah I place it on the pro side of the scales. There's also the pigtail option so you can wire whatever type lead or directly if you want. Considering the cigarette lighter socket can come undone simply over rough terrain it's not like it's great anyways. The wolfhaus kit is quality and provides options so a win-win scenario in my mind.

RangerMunkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Should be no conflicts. The outlet is rated to 20amps and the max draw of the fridge is 6. The outlet is only live when the truck is running and it's never recommended to run these fridges off your stock battery. In my case, I'll be using a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium to power the fridge when camped and their 100W solar briefcase to keep the battery charged if camped for more than a day.

If you're saying there's a conflict based on what MTRanger19 posted above, his screen shot references the 12v power point INSIDE the truck, not the auxiliary power point in the bed of the truck.
Thanks a lot for posting this stuff! I've got a 4Wheel Camper Project M cap, am getting a battery/solar pack and eventually a fridge. So very much like your set up. I like it's only active while under power so while driving it will charge/top off batter pack ,but I don't have to worry about disconnecting it when I stop. Should work out well!

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Do those have some extra electronics in them to step down from 12V? Gotta... Right? Or you will prob. be buying a lot of phones! :)
Most of those convert to USB charging rates. Yes.

RangerMunkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
18 pages here...

Wolfhaus is cool because he's here and rigged up something useful. Ford doesn't even care if you exist. Buy from Wolfhaus so he can crank out more cool 3d printed shit for our trucks!!! :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wolfhaus is cool because he's here and rigged up something useful. Ford doesn't even care if you exist. Buy from Wolfhaus so he can crank out more cool 3d printed shit for our trucks!!! :)
Hi Munkey,

Ford for many years has tried to design vehicles such that the aftermarket can produce what we as a manufacturer cannot as the market is limited to a very few compared to our production of hundred of thousand vehicle. So we try to make the vehicles modifiable to the limited numbers of owners. Thus Ford Performance or its predecessor SVO addressed this to a degree... so to slam Ford for not giving you what you want as we call you, right or wrong, the "Lunatic fringe" We do not offer things that appeal to a few at the expense of the many.

So look at the need you have as an opportunity like Wodlhaus to make some bucks.

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
So, here's what I've been up to...

2021-02-28 17_02_47-_DSC1805.JPG - IrfanView (Zoom_ 2923 x 1945).png

With the help of my brother, we've been working on a 3D printed insert for that hole that will allow you to use a standard 12MM "Anti Vandal" switch without having to deal with anything "behind" the wall of the bed. (E.g. APIELE (Pcs of 2) 12mm Latching Push Button Switch High Round Head Stainless Steel 1 Normally Open with Ring Led (Blue): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific )

On that note, the 16MM switches MAY fit if you don't have any spray in bedliner, and even then you might need to slightly enlarge the hole. The 12mm is way too small, when used by itself.
Any update to this project? I’m really looking forward to a plug and play solution for bed lights.
Sponsored