Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty good. if you ever wanted a totally clean representation of the fake engine noise, just splice into the speaker lead and record that without a mic picking up any external noise. When you do it that way it doesn't blend with natural engine noise and sounds shockingly artificial. I hear better engine noise from my Playstation.
Someone found the fuse?
Sponsored

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
The fist clip sounds like a bullfrog; where as, the second clip sounds like a vehicle accelerating. The second clips sounds better, only my opinion, but why enhance it when it actually does not sound bad. Wasted engineer time! Could have been better used on fixing issues with Sync 3.4. :)

The consensuses seems that Lariats with B&O systems do not have the sound, yet XLTs are experiencing the sound? Will have to check mine.
My truck sounds like #2...and mine is an STX FX4 with the little sync screen

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
For all the nonbelievers out there. ?
Made two sound clips. Taped microphone to driver door speaker and did a WOT pull from a stop.
One is from factory, one is with fuse pulled (which disables all audio).
You make the call.

Edit: Just want to add, I did not do any funny business with the audio. This was purely for science.
Edit 2: I might make a couple more where I disable the factory digital sound processer and/or convert radio to variable lineouts. As others have said they don't hear the fake noise when they do that.
Edit 3: I just noticed today that I actually left the ANC disabled (changed A to 8) as mentioned in first post. I thought I changed back to stock, but I guess not. So anyway, this is with ANC disabled.

this is interesting. looks like fake engine noise is back on the menu, boys (and girls)

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
For all the nonbelievers out there. ?
Not sure anyone has out and out said they don't believe it's there. Just seems there are a number of people who don't notice it, don't mind it if they do or don't care. I guess I may fall into all three categories. For those that notice it and don't like it, I am sure it is a constant annoyance. For me it is just one more switch to find in Forscan, along with the turn signal flashes.:)

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Unfortunately it kills all other audio as well.
Yes, and reveals the fake engine sound. Now, for those of us who want to upgrade our non-B&O equipped trucks we have to hone in on what generates and injects that. No one wants to amplify unnecessary signal.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Maybe just a bypass, but anyone know a way to trick the system into thinking a door is open? I notice the fake engine noise goes away with the door open, trust I'm an idiot and tried to drive with my door slightly open, the rattling door irritated me more than the droning subwoofers. I'm okay with pressing a button to ignore "door open" warnings as a temporary fix until someone finds a permanent one.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Here’s a big what if. What if it is the noise canceling you’re hearing that is no longer “in sync” with the sound since the subwoofer was replaced for instance. In turn amplifying certain sounds or frequencies.

I have no idea but is it possible?

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Here’s a big what if. What if it is the noise canceling you’re hearing that is no longer “in sync” with the sound since the subwoofer was replaced for instance. In turn amplifying certain sounds or frequencies.

I have no idea but is it possible?
I'm not sure if I get what you meant, but certainly you can tune/limit the frequency out but you will lose all the frequencies bellow or above that frequency. Basically it won't sound very good, bass would be pretty much eliminated leaving you with only your mids and highs.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure if I get what you meant, but certainly you can tune/limit the frequency out but you will lose all the frequencies bellow or above that frequency. Basically it won't sound very good, bass would be pretty much eliminated leaving you with only your mids and highs.
What I’m saying is, if the sound canceling is calibrated to the factory system, changing the system may make the sound abnormal.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Has anyone had the "engine noise enhancement" disabled at the dealership? I wear hearing aids and when I accelerate the fake engine noise will cause some static or distortion in my hearing aids. Would love to have this sound turned off.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had the "engine noise enhancement" disabled at the dealership? I wear hearing aids and when accelerate the fake engine noise will cause some static or distortion in my hearing aids. Would love to have this sound turned off.
Hi Dave,

Open up a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care. This is news to me but I face a near future of hearing aids thanks to carelessness as an IndyCar track side official and race car driver.

Ford needs to understand something like this as it may not been on their radar screen and needs to be brought to their attention.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Hi Dave,

Open up a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care. This is news to me but I face a near future of hearing aids thanks to carelessness as an IndyCar track side official and race car driver.

Ford needs to understand something like this as it may not been on their radar screen and needs to be brought to their attention.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mr. Phil, I think my hearing is already so bad that I've never heard this sound being discussed. Too many quick descents for landing, I guess. They always played hell with my ears.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Dave,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'm only 54 but have worn hearing aids about 2 1/2 years due to my navy job many years ago. My truck is going in for the shudder tsb and I have asked them to turn off the fake engine noise for the stated reason while it's there.

For me hearing aids reopened a world I was missing for a while. Especially being in conversations in a noisy environment. It sucks smiling and nodding because you can't hear what is being said.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I checked with my audiologist and found out my hearing aids will generate a little white noise to counteract certain frequency sounds. That's what I'm hearing when the enhanced noise gets louder. I hope disabling the enhancement is an easy task.
Sponsored