First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I tried turning off the fake engine noise today. I guess it was a lot more subtle than I realized, at least on a Lariat. I opted to turn it back on again afterwards. I don't think the audio system is affected by it much, especially since the fake engine noise only seems to come through when accelerating anyway.

Here's a video on the process:
Thanks for the video. It has been a while since I have used FORScan and it was great for refreshing my memory.
The fake engine noise was terrible after installing a powered sub woofer under the passenger seat. Never really noticed it before that.
A big THANK YOU to the FORScan folks! I have used it to shut off the auto start/stop ridiculousness and now to disable the even more ridiculous fake engine noise.
Sponsored

Barend Steyn

First Name
Barend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 BiT 4x4 D/C
Occupation
Mining Engineer
Hi,
I managed to switch off the fake engine noise in the '20 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 2.0 BiT D/C RH drive using Forscan and OBDLinkEX (recommended by Forscan). RH drive units seem not to have the switch available, HEX code to be adjusted. See images attached.
Hope it helps!

after.png

Before.png

DACMC.png

Barend Steyn

First Name
Barend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 BiT 4x4 D/C
Occupation
Mining Engineer
So I *think* I’ve found the answer to disabling ESE on my Wildtrak. My vehicle uses the DACMC module for ESE, not the ACM. This has only two addresses and by changing 7D5-01-02 from x1xx to x0xx it seems to have disabled ESE.

ESE was barely audible when I was using the internal amplifier as the source into my MiniDSP 2x8, but annoyingly audible when using line out from the HU. As I don’t drive this vehicle much I’d left it on amplified output until I had more time to look into it, but will now have more time to use it for surfing and downhill mountain biking. Of course, it’s an improvement using variable line out with ESE disabled.

I had been communicating with the FORscan team about this, and they’re both responsive and helpful (I have a paid licence and would encourage everyone to do so to support the ongoing development and support of the product). They also picked up that the ESE on my model is in the DACMC and are adding it as selectable within this module.
This worked for me, thanks, I used this as my starting point.

Just an edit on the DACMC it is 75D-02-01 and changing as per above makes the code 00DF.

Works a treat, I see only SA and Aus suffer as we don't have the ACM module.

See attached.

after.png

Before.png

DACMC.png

waffles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Am I correct to assume that when I replace the HU that should disable it as well?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Am I correct to assume that when I replace the HU that should disable it as well?
What do you mean by HU? I wouldn't assume replacing hardware will change software settings

waffles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
What do you mean by HU? I wouldn't assume replacing hardware will change software settings
I'm replacing the head unit, the main stereo. Just wondering if the fake engine noise runs thru the stock stereo or if the speaker wires are intercepted by another device some where

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm replacing the head unit, the main stereo. Just wondering if the fake engine noise runs thru the stock stereo or if the speaker wires are intercepted by another device some where
Well, I don't know. But, I think you should learn forscan and get a connector. It's probably something you will want to have.

It's not hard, but look at the forscan threads for info.

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
So I got Forscan, went to turn off the enhanced engine sound, and it is already disabled on a brand new 2021 supercrew xlt sport 2wd.

I never noticed it, just thought I'd turn it off while I was in there, and lo and behold I didn't notice it because it wasn't turned on!

I was able to add the speed limit signs and the off road screen.
Same, 2021 XLT 2WD sport. Disabled by default.

Still did Bambi mode and disabled the startup chimes

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I haven't been able to load the module yet (was waiting on the extended license), but I can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that my 2021 XLT Tremor (super crew, 4x4, no B&O) has the enhanced engine noise. As soon as my amp turns on, even with absolutely no music and volume turned down, my subwoofer starts going crazy. If I turn up the gain on the amp, the whole truck will start to reverberate with the enhanced noise. On the one hand it does make the engine sound beefy. On the other hand I get horrendous droning noise and a severe impact on the bass response for my music. It's especially bad when the engine is cold.

Edit: It was enabled, now disabled. So much better disabled.

Last edited:

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
There's been no confirmation we even have the fake engine noise.
I was wondering the same....are there really fake engine noises????????

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I found the remnants of a clothespin and a baseball card near the right hand rear wheel. ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Go into Forscan and check if yours is disabled. If so, enable it and see what you think. Seems like sometime in MY2020 Ford stop enabling it by default. Maybe they heard all our complaints. Just stupid in a truck, especially when it was done so bad.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
That was a super old post. Since then there have been posts with more experiences, not to mention the addition of a setting just for it in FORscan

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Seems like sometime in MY2020 Ford stop enabling it by default. Maybe they heard all our complaints.
It entirely depends on which truck/trim/option level you get, as mine was delivered less than a month ago and had it enabled by default (confirmed via Forscan, though there was no doubt)

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
It entirely depends on which truck/trim/option level you get, as mine was delivered less than a month ago and had it enabled by default (confirmed via Forscan, though there was no doubt)
Agreed. Mine was enabled on a 2021 XLT with tech package. Sounds a lot better with it off.
Sponsored