RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There is one cause. If you have the Sync system set on auto update, and it was updating at the time, nothing would appear to work, until it was finished.
This is an interesting hypothesis - is there any data/documented info to back it up? I'd love to see it.

I did have this happen once - I came out from church, got in my truck and nothing. Got really worried but a couple minutes later everything was fine. It has not happened since and only the one time in the over 3 years I've had it.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Dealer will be a waste of time and quite possibly even worse that that , "RTF" is the term here at work , (Run Till Fail) ?‍♂, actually it is GOOD that you got yours out of the way , I nervously await my "one and done " ...

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
This kind of stuff is exactly why I went for an extended warranty thru grainger for $50 over dealer cost as I'm a low mileage driver so my standard warranty after 3 years would end with my odometer reading 15k miles at most. I felt its a wasted warrany so I extended the warranty to 8yrs 36k miles for $520 and a $50 deductable considering I've had my 21 loaded Lariat for 9 months 1690 miles on it. I can fix most issues myself but all but these vehicles have alot of gidgets and gadgets and one issue can cost more than the $520.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
From experience...

My automatic update is set on Yes, so it should do the update whenever it has an internet it can connect to. But sometimes, it doesn't update as soon as one is released. Apple does this a lot, to minimize the load on the servers. I suspect Ford (or their vendor) isn't much different.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
There is one cause. If you have the Sync system set on auto update, and it was updating at the time, nothing would appear to work, until it was finished.
I am no expert so correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the sync use Wifi to update. I know my Rangers Wifi is set for my home unit. The Op was at the bank. If I am correct, how could the Sync be updating?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
It does use WiFi, unless you have the Hot Spot turned on. If the WiFi doesn't require a password, most decent software will know that fact. The last time mine applied an update, was....

At my bank! Which as a free, open, customer WiFi connection.

OP
OP

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
As I said.. I don't plan on taking it to the dealer. My post wasn't meant to be a knock on the ranger. I've been around cars/trucks to know they all have their quirks.

I don't really care for GM or Ford dealers tbh. Nothing but bs from both. Mine had the rear end shake from the first day. Went to the dealer and the mumbo jumbo started. So i just deal with it. Doesn't really bother me that much. I know for a fact if I brought it in for this it would be just a total cluster..

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
There was a Sync3 Update that was released on the 12th...

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Same thing happened to me once, except mine did not come back to life. I had to disconnect the negative battery terminal and reconnect after a few minutes. Come back to life like nothing. Very strange. I keep a 10mm wrench in my door side pocket now in case this happens again and that time I am not home.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I walk into the bank, in there for 10mins and walk out to truck completely dead. Not even the key fob worked. I thought this was a bit odd to be a dead battery issue. I check the battery connections and it was tight. So I walked back in the bank to call AAA. As im on hold I decide to hit the key fob and it worked. Walked out and it started right up. It was dead for maybe 10mins.

Anything I should look for? It's a 2021, right at a year old and 24k on odo.

Edit... Just got back home. Started it multiple times back to back and not one hiccup.
You're Ranger was taking a nap!!!

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had my truck do this one time. It was definitely a Sync Update. I had only had the truck for about two weeks, and I was in a store, and when I came out, the truck wouldn't start. Oddly, the key fob unlocked the doors, but when I put the key in the ignition, the instrument panel and the stereo did not come on. Would not start. Just blank everything. After a couple of minutes of flailing around opening and closing the doors, turning the key on and off, etc., the dash lit up, the head unit came on, and it looked totally different (Updated automatically). Started up and ran normally, but all the radio settings were erased, and Sirius XM advertising was blasting. Grrr...

I immediately went into the settings menu on Sync3 and changed the automatic update setting. Never happened again. But I have not allowed any updates yet, either. LOL

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect Bill Gates is behind it - did this pop up on your screen at anytime?

70FB0690-A502-472D-BB1C-2DA79A1400BC.jpeg