First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
From what you're having experience tells me you're most likely having an issue with can communication. Can communication problems could be anywhere in the vehicle and have to be taken very carefully to diagnose. I'm sure it is fixable it's just going to take some time for the right person to figure out

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine was about to go back for a third time until a tip from someone on the forum helped me solve the problem.

I hope it ends up being as easy as my issue.

(It wasn't electrical.. noises. grease on an odd part and them torqueing the bed in right was the solution. Ford missed the grease thing)

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
OP welcome to the club man. Mine was a bad rear wheel sensor. Iā€™m still hunting down the part number for another ranger owner on here. Once I find it Iā€™ll share it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
any chance the battery is heading to the grave? ive heard folks say when the batt starts to go the truck starts being goofy.

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Just weird, made a few trips today.
Into town no light.
Ran a few errands and the orange wrench of doom showed up.
Drove back home and it was gone.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
No way in hell I would put a tune on anything that has an electrical gremlin already showing. I really donā€™t think it would be hard for them to make a case that it was the tune that caused the issue. Yes they have to prove it in order to deny a claim but why take the chance?

that being said have you considered that it may be temp related? You mentioned snow when it first started. My 2019 escape would give me the same error you got initially when it would snow or ice over otherwise it never showed up

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
First off, I'd consider contacting Ford customer service and starting a case number. If nothing else, the customer advisor will bug the dealership and nudge them along to get your warrantied vehicle operational again. After a nighmarish experience with a dealer, I had a great experience with Ford corporate. Pretty amazing how quickly things progressed after corporate was involved. It shouldn't have to be that way, but there are clearly disconnects between Ford and their dealers, but guess what, that's not my problem....shouldn't be yours either.

I went through a similar experience. I had a bad connection in the driver side door....took multiple trips to the dealer - they gave me a similar runaround. If they can't find anything staring them in the face, then they won't fix it (they don't want to go back and forth with Ford for warranty repair reimbursements) and they won't bother spending any significant time with it. They told me they "have to have a code" to fix it, but there was never a code given. On my 3rd return and after bitching via survey, they finally gave it to a better tech and he figured it out without a code. I hate it, but if you're quiet and roll with it, they'll push you off forever. You gotta make some noise to get them to take it seriously and diagnose it.

ā€œcould be the ECM, PCM, vision system and or the ABS. But we canā€™t just go replacing parts.ā€

Maybe they can't "just go replacing parts" but they can sure as hell diagnose the problem.

At least now, they have seen the problem with yours. I wouldn't drive the vehicle at this point and you should get a loaner under your warranty - however, there is a legit shortage on loaners. When my vehicle was finally being fixed, Ford offered to reimburse me for Uber expenses since there were no loaners available. I had a 2nd car so that wasn't a major issue for me - I just wanted my truck fixed. But if needed, this should be an option for you also.

Once they finally took the time to diagnose the issue and isolated the problem, it was fixed and hasn't been an issue since. They replaced my ECM.....then replaced a connection in the door. Flawless ever since.

Make sure they document everything well in the file. If you ever sold the truck, a good buyer will check the maintenance history and will want to see all the details and will need to be satisfied that the problem was resolved.

As far as the tune, I'm not tuning mine until it's out of the warranty. As much as I witnessed the dealer squirming out of an obvious warranty issue, there's NO chance I'll give them anything to blame.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My 2020 gave the same list of faults after the body shop fixed the rear bumper . It was a disconnected driver side tail light. After plugging it back in the fault continued . Unhooking the negative battery terminal for several minutes cleared them all .
That's what I was thinking, a Battery Maintenance Monitor fault. As new as it is, you still could have a bad battery. It probably isn't doing the malfunction long enough to retain a code, but lining up what the code should be should point the shop in the right direction. The black box that the rear view mirror attaches to has a bunch of voodoo stuff in it.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Why all the drama? They just asked him to bring it back for more time to diagnose it. If the light is coming on that frequently it should be easy to find. Give them a chance.

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Why all the drama? They just asked him to bring it back for more time to diagnose it. If the light is coming on that frequently it should be easy to find. Give them a chance.
And this here is what I plan on doing. So far this dealership has been pretty good on repairs. Did me a solid on my 13 f 150.
Tune is probably out the window for the time being, I just donā€™t want to chance it.

Lemon law - used it on a 1995 F150 I bought brand new. Amazing what can get done when you start the process. Ford sent all kinds of big wigs down to look at the problem. And it was the damn spark plugs.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This isn't the issue people get when they get undercoating, is it? Too lazy to look it up.