Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Putting this here to get some traction
2021 Ranger Tremor 29,000 miles
Since I’ve had it when ever it was cold, frost and or snow I’d get the forward collision sensor not working. quick minute on this forum or the owners manual shows its common for the sensor to get blocked.

Last few months, I’d get a pre collision warning that the system was down. I’d park the truck and few hours later it was fine.

About 2 weeks ago after getting gas, I got the same as above plus the terrain management was out. It was but the 4wd worked. Again, park a few hours and the light was gone and TM worked.

Oil change last Monday at the dealer and I mentioned it to them. Obvious answer was bring it in if it does it again.
Tuesday leaving work it lights up pre collision and TM is out again. I call and take it in Friday. Of course no lights on! Mechanic hooks it up and no codes. He and the service guy tells me, most these sensors run through the rear view mirror system? I can see the pre collision but the TM?
I leave and run into Lowe’s about a mile from the dealer.
I leave Lowe’s and hit the jackpot

Steering assist fault
Rear belt monitor fault
See manual
Front camera fault
Pre collision assist fault
Service advance trac
Terrain Management fault
4wd fault

I call the dealer and said I AM coming back now. he said pull it in and don’t shut it off. They spend another hour dicking with their computer / reader trying to figure it out. They turn all the codes off. And now the master mechanic comes out and drives it. All the above come back on.
He said and I and quote, “could be the ECM, PCM, vision system and or the ABS. But we can’t just go replacing parts.” Ugh is that not what the warranty is for.
Goes back Wednesday for him to spend some time with.

Crazy thing is the truck runs and drives fine. I do notice the steering is tight for a minute or 2 when I first drive.

I am really reasonable when it comes to service industry workers, as I am a nurse and paramedic. So I no the shit these guys have to deal with.
But this really leaves a bad taste with me. If this is all electronics, I’ve got a bad feeling its just going to continue.
I’m seriously considering getting rid of it and just grabbing a beater truck or SUV for the time being.

So maybe the most important question out of all this. If I had tuned this truck and this happened, would the dealer say it was my fault?
If I do tune it after it gets fixed and it happens again, will the tune be considered the issue? That is if I keep it?
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So let them diagnose it. There is no need to disturb or replace everything under the sun that is showing a fault. Could be a wiring issue or one of the components. And no that is not what warranty is for. I don’t want anything replaced that doesn’t need to be.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I would think you would be OK with a tune as it wouldn't affect all those things. If the tune did cause an error in the ECU, flashing back to factory would clear those up.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When you see the laundry list of "failures" it is most likely a connector or something that is loose. There were issues with a major connector behind one of the front headlights that caused similar issues a few years ago.

@P. A. Schilke - you recall the specifics of that issue?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
When you see the laundry list of "failures" it is most likely a connector or something that is loose. There were issues with a major connector behind one of the front headlights that caused similar issues a few years ago.

There was a recall for a possible bad connector. Safety Recall Notice 19543/ NHTSA Recaii19V-839

I think it affected the rear tail lights. It was located under the passenger side .

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There was a recall for a possible bad connector. Safety Recall Notice 19543/ NHTSA Recaii19V-839

I think it affected the rear tail lights. It was located under the passenger side .
That was different - this wasn't a recall, just something that some people had experienced - the connector is different as well. The recall is the one on the frame rail if I remember correctly. This one is a large connector behind one of the headlights.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Rob,

There were two potential problems, connector behind the left headlight and one about half way down the frame from the front end.

Best,
Phil

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 gave the same list of faults after the body shop fixed the rear bumper . It was a disconnected driver side tail light. After plugging it back in the fault continued . Unhooking the negative battery terminal for several minutes cleared them all .

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
OP

1679347013972.png

I like my warrantee, other don't care.
With my sport car, I waited till I was out, then added a tune.
If something blew up, it was clear who was responsible.
Granted, a tune is not responsible for a heated seat not working.
Some dealers are cool, some are....
Sponsored