JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this was already asked but cold weather performance of the damper has taken a nose dive, it takes 2x as long to drop the tailgate. has anyone installed a damper heater?
I purchased the px95S flame thrower for that issue. I haven't had to use it, but it's under the seat and ready to go should I need it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Smooth and slow is luxury, fast and hard is for the young with no attention span willing to make mistakes. ? Yes Im still talking about the damper. ☺

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Smooth and slow is luxury, fast and hard is for the young with no attention span willing to make mistakes. ? Yes Im still talking about the damper. ☺
I dig the damper. I had old trucks without it and I can lower the gate, but having it is special.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I am no one to judge about how to spend money on a vehicle. Get what makes you happy, life is too short for hesitation.

I've never had a TG damper on my trucks, but at work this winter experienced it for the first time. After the second time I pulled the release and stood there waiting for the TG to get down all the way, I wanted to rip it right off, lol. No chance I could put one on my own tailgate, especially one as light as the Ranger.

The exception would be if I had a hands free option to open the TG from the key fob or a foot swipe sensor with full hands. Controlled drop would be fine for automatic open. If I have to use my hand to pull the release, I don't see why I wouldn't control the TG drop as my hand moves out of the way in it's natural path anyway.

Like I said, YMMV, buy what makes you happiest and enjoy your truck, just my $0.02.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I am no one to judge about how to spend money on a vehicle. Get what makes you happy, life is too short for hesitation.

I've never had a TG damper on my trucks, but at work this winter experienced it for the first time. After the second time I pulled the release and stood there waiting for the TG to get down all the way, I wanted to rip it right off, lol. No chance I could put one on my own tailgate, especially one as light as the Ranger.

The exception would be if I had a hands free option to open the TG from the key fob or a foot swipe sensor with full hands. Controlled drop would be fine for automatic open. If I have to use my hand to pull the release, I don't see why I wouldn't control the TG drop as my hand moves out of the way in it's natural path anyway.

Like I said, YMMV, buy what makes you happiest and enjoy your truck, just my $0.02.
pffft You er suppose to get the optional damper heater/blanket for colder areas. :rolleyes:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
pffft You er suppose to get the optional damper heater/blanket for colder areas. :rolleyes:
Haha

It wasn't slow because it was cold, just slow compared to gravity.

The truck was in a heated garage, all day. I was dropping the tailgate for my air mattress, I was on nights. :cool:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Haha

It wasn't slow because it was cold, just slow compared to gravity.

The truck was in a heated garage, all day. I was dropping the tailgate for my air mattress, I was on nights. :cool:
You must have a defective damper. Seriously it takes like 3 seconds for mine to drop.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Wouldn't it just be easier to fill the tailgate with helium?
You may be on to something there. :like:

And if we add enough helium, it may be able to reverse the Carolina Squat virus that is spreading.

Why-Do-Guys-Squat-Trucks.jpg

But of course dealers will want in on it.

$200 for Nitrogen in the tires and $200 for Helium in the tailgate. Ask about special pricing on getting Oxygen in the cab with the Anti-Suffocate breathers package.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You must have a defective damper. Seriously it takes like 3 seconds for mine to drop.
!!! 3 SECONDS , check out the free time on this guy!!!!
Gravity and my hand takes 1/4 second.

When you put gas in your truck, do you do it at half speed too? ;)

Drive 35mph in 55mph zones?

Cut the grass with nail clippers?

I can do this all day, lol, but I am teasing of course, and hope you and all others love the TGD.
Sponsored