Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Took the wife to her 2nd visit to the Pulmonologist. She as been on oxygen 24/7, but some very expensive drugs at $3000 a month, not paid by Medicare she has no need for Oxygen anymore. So I asked the doc about Covid 19... He shook his head...he said that by the time the hospital calls him for his help, It is too late...the patients are going to die. No ventilator is going to save them. He told me to spread the word...Stay Socially Isolated...wash your hands, practice the 6 ft distance rule. He said...do not become infected. Down the road from us, our friend is having a Cul-D-Sac party! Stupid people, of which one of our friends said this is Social Isolation....Yikes! Folks, this is serious shit. Maybe you youngen's may survive, but at my wife and my age...we are likely not going to make it if we get it....

Even I have made light of this with some posts, but the Doctor was a sobering experience. Good news is that my wife is in excellent pulmonary condition for her age... I will be happy when the oxygen concentrator leaves our house...noisy device...

Please heed the advice of our government and take this seriously... Look at Louisiana. No real problem, then look at Mardi Gras....they are now in terrible shape.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

Stay well! I am in a similar situation. I am healthy and fit but my wife is not so healthy and at our ages 69 and 68 we are in the high risk group. We also know that this thing can be fatal even for the young and otherwise healthy.
I had to restock at the grocery store yesterday. I never would have thought that going to the grocery could be so stressful. There were enough people there that staying 6 feet away from each other was impossible. The shelves were still empty of sanitizer and wipes. They did have TP but not peanut butter. Who knew that peanut butter was so essential. At check out they have installed sneeze shields which is good. The lady bagging ( also a senior citizen ) was so stressed that she scolded the man in front of me for stepping up to the register before the previous person had cleared the area. Good thing she didn't have one of those stay back 6 feet sticks, I think she would have hit him with it.
I just saw that Kroger grocery Co. is giving a 2 dollar pay raise to its workers through this crises. They, along with all the medical and first responders deserve that and our thanks and gratitude.
I hope you and your wife stay well. We are hunkered down hoping to do the same. :)

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I had to restock at the grocery store yesterday. I never would have thought that going to the grocery could be so stressful. There were enough people there that staying 6 feet away from each other was impossible. The shelves were still empty of sanitizer and wipes. They did have TP but not peanut butter. Who knew that peanut butter was so essential. At check out they have installed sneeze shields which is good. The lady bagging ( also a senior citizen ) was so stressed that she scolded the man in front of me for stepping up to the register before the previous person had cleared the area. Good thing she didn't have one of those stay back 6 feet sticks, I think she would have hit him with it.
I got in trouble yesterday, because I brought four packages of Hamburger, up to the register to purchase. Apparently, there was/is a two limit rule, on purchasing burger. Each package was less than two pounds, which is why I picked out four. And I checked out another six stores, and found no paper products, to purchase.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
I got in trouble yesterday, because I brought four packages of Hamburger, up to the register to purchase. Apparently, there was/is a two limit rule, on purchasing burger. Each package was less than two pounds, which is why I picked out four. And I checked out another six stores, and found no paper products, to purchase.
Ever think that having to check multiple stores increase your chances of actually spreading the virus even further, by taking greater risks. I take the hit and miss, do without out approach. Nothing to me is critical enough that it is worth exposing myself beyond. I will go to just enough places that i can work a plan A, then B or maybe C and just be flexible in both what i use and how i use it- I have to admit to trolling amazon for two weeks to find TP. Just give yourself time and options and for the most part nothing is so urgent to put you at risk, your family and the community by circulating to find limited resources. Often if it's out one place, it's out area wide- just check a couple different companies that are supplied differently(and on different days) and live with what you have.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For the last 4 weeks the stores have been pretty empty, but i am starting to see supplies of food and paper products back on store shelves. People can only stockpile so many goods i guess.
I've been seeing the same here. A lot more food in stock like chicken,pork and beef but there's still some bare shelves in the can goods isle. I went to Walmart today and they actually had TP but people were still buying it up like they're going to have the squirts for the next 6 months.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I've been seeing the same here. A lot more food in stock like chicken,pork and beef but there's still some bare shelves in the can goods isle. I went to Walmart today and they actually had TP but people were still buying it up like they're going to have the squirts for the next 6 months.
haha, its the most confusing item to stockpile. I acutally saw clorox wipes at target today. I almost bought some, but i already purchased 800 pairs of nitrile gloves from costco in February so i think i should leave the wipes for the others since my hand protection game is strong.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
haha, its the most confusing item to stockpile. I acutally saw clorox wipes at target today. I almost bought some, but i already purchased 800 pairs of nitrile gloves from costco in February so i think i should leave the wipes for the others since my hand protection game is strong.
Hi Photog,

You use nitrile gloves to finish up No. 2 on the "throne"? :) Seriously though, I agree with you about the hoarding of TP is puzzling. I think it is panic feeding on panic. As much as we are socially isolated, we ventured out the supermarket for a few items...Salad dressing which was available, Kidney beans that were not on the shelves, cream cheese with jalapenos, which were in stock and so on. So with out of stock items, we will do without....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Photog,

You use nitrile gloves to finish up No. 2 on the "throne"? :) Seriously though, I agree with you about the hoarding of TP is puzzling. I think it is panic feeding on panic. As much as we are socially isolated, we ventured out the supermarket for a few items...Salad dressing which was available, Kidney beans that were not on the shelves, cream cheese with jalapenos, which were in stock and so on. So with out of stock items, we will do without....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I've found it seems a bit better when you go early in the day - better selection and less things are out. Around here, they are reserving the first hour for over 60 and/or people with compromised immune systems. You might check if your local stores are doing something similar. It reduces your risk of exposure and also increases the chance that they will have what you want.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, I've found it seems a bit better when you go early in the day - better selection and less things are out. Around here, they are reserving the first hour for over 60 and/or people with compromised immune systems. You might check if your local stores are doing something similar. It reduces your risk of exposure and also increases the chance that they will have what you want.
Hi Rob,

Here is GV....we are all seniors. Went to WalMart at 7am, Senior time. line was out the parking lot and into the street. We gave up. Just flat terrible. Will be so happy when the snowbirds return home and give us back our community... Thank god for our bidet potty seats! I have resorted to mostly on line ordering. Even then. Much we would like like Kleenex is out of stock at many sites, but some have them for three times the price. I won't be gouged by these opportunists.

Anyway, we will be okay! Thanks for the response! Hope you and family are doing well!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Here is GV....we are all seniors. Went to WalMart at 7am, Senior time. line was out the parking lot and into the street. We gave up. Just flat terrible. Will be so happy when the snowbirds return home and give us back our community... Thank god for our bidet potty seats! I have resorted to mostly on line ordering. Even then. Much we would like like Kleenex is out of stock at many sites, but some have them for three times the price. I won't be gouged by these opportunists.

Anyway, we will be okay! Thanks for the response! Hope you and family are doing well!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I didn't think about that. Well, we all have to figure out how to navigate this "new normal". Glad you are figuring out something that works.

We are doing fine here. Just getting a little stir crazy but overall not bad.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think about that. Well, we all have to figure out how to navigate this "new normal". Glad you are figuring out something that works.

We are doing fine here. Just getting a little stir crazy but overall not bad.
Hi Rob,

Understand the stir crazy. The the wife and I had a very nice conversation today. I think I am realizing she is actually very nice to talk too... :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Hi Rob,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ever think about using handkerchiefs instead of kleenex. They are not running into shortages. You use a bidet instead of tp... Why not handkerchiefs instead of kleenex.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ever think about using handkerchiefs instead of kleenex. They are not running into shortages. You use a bidet instead of tp... Why not handkerchiefs instead of kleenex.
Hi Nellieg,

No need for hankerchiefs...just found a mother load of kleenex in the RV so all set! Besides we have plenty of TP which can substitute. Hankerchief could contain the virus as it is used more than once...so not an option in our opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
Status
Not open for further replies.