The Neon Thread

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
That Ford Trucks clock is on my Christmas list. :)

Here's my two.

1930s era clock made by the Postal Telegraph And Clock Company. My brother bought this at the Lakewood Fairgrounds Antique Show in the early 1990s and said "Here, hang it above your fireplace." I did just that (at my previous house) and I inherited it when he passed away in 1997.

The dealer that he bought it from at the antique show had retrofitted the neon tube and stuck a big stupid reproduction "Wurlitzer Music" decal over the original graphics. I removed the decal around 10 years ago.

It keeps great time and if there's a power blip, the clock motor has to be restarted. There's a little wheel on the back that you have to spin to get the seconds hand going again.

IMG_20210702_182850226.jpg

IMG_20210702_182817511.jpg

I inherited the one below from Dad two years ago and he had told me how he aquired it before he passed away.

He was at an auction at a dealership that had gone out of business and they were selling the furniture/fixtures, etc.

When the auction was over they announced to help yourself to whatever didn't sell.

Dad found a ladder and got up on top of a mezzanine and found this Genuine Ford Parts neon sign.

For free. :D

It hung in the rafters of his basement for 50(?) years and now it's on my mantle. It's apparently very rare and expensive, judging from the only other one that I found online that had sold in a Barrett Jackson auto memorbilia auction a few years ago.

1930s neon is pretty darn bright, by the way.

IMG_20210702_183352013.jpg

IMG_20210702_183207352.jpg