First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My girlfriend and I were talking last night how this virus is going to change the world we live in now. She's getting depressed and wants things to get "back to normal" like everyone else but is it really going to? I think in time some things will but I feel there's a lot that's going to change because of this. Many have had to work from home and I can now see many businesses doing this going forward. One to make sure they keep this virus from spreading throughout their company and two it will cut down on office space and overhead for them in the future. I've asked my girlfriend over the years if she could keep her job and work from home once she moves out here and she swore there was NO way she could do this. She's in AR for a large company and now that she's forced to it's actually working out. Some tasks are more difficult but you have to find other ways around your old routine and now she actually likes it.

Another is the food industry. I think you will see more curbside pickups and larger companies giving free delivery because they will be able to eliminate employees which will cut their expenses not having to pay them $15.00 minimum wage and taxes and insurance on them. I see mobile app ordering booming from this.

I also think the housing and auto industry will be hammered for many years because of the millions who have lost their jobs and until people feel comfortable making large purchases again. If this happened a year ago I don't think I would've bought my Ranger and would've kept my Tacoma. As much as I hated that truck it would've been paid off on 1/5/2020 and I would't want a loan even though I didn't finance much and it is for 0%.

We're supposed to go up to Sedona in 2 weeks but seeing as everything is closed (even if it re-opens) we're canceling that. Still not sure about our Utah trip the end of July but we might stay closer to home and just go up to Flagstaff to save money.

I've had season tickets to the Cardinals for 8 years now. I hate to give up my seats as they're 12 rows off the field on the 40 yard line but there's NO way I'm going to a stadium filled with 60,000+ people with this virus around. ?

What do you all think will change because of this?

Are you going to do anything different in your personal lives?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My girlfriend and I were talking last night how this virus is going to change the world we live in now. She's getting depressed and wants things to get "back to normal" like everyone else but is it really going to? I think in time some things will but I feel there's a lot that's going to change because of this. Many have had to work from home and I can now see many businesses doing this going forward. One to make sure they keep this virus from spreading throughout their company and two it will cut down on office space and overhead for them in the future. I've asked my girlfriend over the years if she could keep her job and work from home once she moves out here and she swore there was NO way she could do this. She's in AR for a large company and now that she's forced to it's actually working out. Some tasks are more difficult but you have to find other ways around your old routine and now she actually likes it.

Another is the food industry. I think you will see more curbside pickups and larger companies giving free delivery because they will be able to eliminate employees which will cut their expenses not having to pay them $15.00 minimum wage and taxes and insurance on them. I see mobile app ordering booming from this.

I also think the housing and auto industry will be hammered for many years because of the millions who have lost their jobs and until people feel comfortable making large purchases again. If this happened a year ago I don't think I would've bought my Ranger and would've kept my Tacoma. As much as I hated that truck it would've been paid off on 1/5/2020 and I would't want a loan even though I didn't finance much and it is for 0%.

We're supposed to go up to Sedona in 2 weeks but seeing as everything is closed (even if it re-opens) we're canceling that. Still not sure about our Utah trip the end of July but we might stay closer to home and just go up to Flagstaff to save money.

I've had season tickets to the Cardinals for 8 years now. I hate to give up my seats as they're 12 rows off the field on the 40 yard line but there's NO way I'm going to a stadium filled with 60,000+ people with this virus around. ?

I"m not a big one for crowded places anyway, so I probably won't change what I do much. With that said, what changes will partially depend on how this whole thing unfolds - we are still at the beginning of it, and it can either go pretty well, with minimal fatalities, or it can go really badly with huge fatalities. There are lots of opinions and forecasts, but no one really knows what is going to happen. I had heard China was past the worst, but now I've heard reports that they are seeing another surge in cases. So who knows where this will go. The only think I know for sure is that It is going to be a year for the history books.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I think the economy will spring back, but I think we'll see the social distancing things stay in some ways. At check out lines no one ever liked being close to each other. Handshakes which i like will probably never be back and that's probably good. I guess alot of it depends on how bad things get.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

Well put, you have managed to express the very mix of despair and optimism felt by most of us.

None of us has enough information to know what's behind the curtain we face, but face it we must and with a determination to make the most of it.
Good Post... Thank you.

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Went to Lowe’s yesterday, they have plexiglass barriers at the checkouts separate the cashier from customer with a small opening to exchange money or credit cards. I think other stores will follow and that may be the new normal. So yeah I think a lot of things will change from the way we used to do things . They also have 6 ft yellow squares on the floor for you to stand in while in line.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I"m not a big one for crowded places anyway, so I probably won't change what I do much. With that said, what changes will partially depend on how this whole thing unfolds - we are still at the beginning of it, and it can either go pretty well, with minimal fatalities, or it can go really badly with huge fatalities. There are lots of opinions and forecasts, but no one really knows what is going to happen. I had heard China was past the worst, but now I've heard reports that they are seeing another surge in cases. So who knows where this will go. The only think I know for sure is that It is going to be a year for the history books.
Boy you're not kidding this will be one heck of a year for the history books! I had heard the same about China but it's so hard now a days to determine what news is real and what isn't. It's scary because if you start sending people back to work it could flair up all over again but if we don't the economy will never survive. Hard to know which will be the lesser of the two evils.

I think the economy will spring back, but I think we'll see the social distancing things stay in some ways. At check out lines no one ever liked being close to each other. Handshakes which i like will probably never be back and that's probably good. I guess alot of it depends on how bad things get.
I agree with the handshakes. Hard part is I'm old school and always believe in handshakes whether it be for gratitude or giving your word on a deal. It's going to be hard to change that habit.

Went to Lowe’s yesterday, they have plexiglass barriers at the checkouts separate the cashier from customer with a small opening to exchange money or credit cards. I think other stores will follow and that may be the new normal. So yeah I think a lot of things will change from the way we used to do things . They also have 6 ft yellow squares on the floor for you to stand in while in line.
I haven't been to a store all week but I heard they're doing that here too. My mom told me last night that the grocery stores back in MA had already installed them this week. I rarely use cashiers if there are self checkouts but it will be weird non the less.

About 6 years ago a few of us sitting around a fire drinking a few beers sat and debated the whole $15/hr minimum wage that will "lift millions out of poverty". Just using common sense, we all concluded that fast food places would not exist if cheeseburger's cost $5 and happy meals cost $10. We concluded that to stay profitable most places would implement self serv ordering kiosk and reduce their number of workers. Voila! Pretty much every fast food joint has taken this approach. I went today for a few odds and ends at 2 different stores and had to touch the key pad/pen thing to complete my purchase. While I had hand sanitizer, I wonder how many people in NYC have contracted Covid-19 as a direct result of these self serv machines at burger joints before preventive measures were being implemented? I also wonder how our medical providers could be so inept to be running out of PPE a very short 2-1/2 weeks into this? It's flu season and the same gear should be used. Somethings not adding up IMHO. As far as life after, I guess it's too soon to tell how long this all last. I could see it varying greatly for different reasons.
I always use hand sanitizer after getting gas or when leaving the store from using the self checkouts. Just now I think about it much more and why is it that that's the time you always seem to get an itch on your face. lol

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was reading today on Fox news that Dolly Parton believes all this is a message from above. I tend to agree with her.
Yes,I agree too. We tend to take so many things for granted that this just might be a way for us to stop and think about everything for a while. Appreciate the little things more!

Well put, you have managed to express the very mix of despair and optimism felt by most of us.

None of us has enough information to know what's behind the curtain we face, but face it we must and with a determination to make the most of it.
Good Post... Thank you.
Americans are strong and resilient but we've never seen anything like this before in our lifetime. 911 was horrific but we eventually bounced back,this is affecting every state and every country. Until they can create a vaccine how will this play out? Was this intensional? (I think it was). If so will there be another and how bad will the next one be? I'm not trying to be a downer but I guess when you're stuck inside and can't get true answers because no one has them you tend to think of these things. Hopefully it runs it's course and things can somewhat get back to normal soon.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I have been impressed with, is the people I have seen and spoke with all feel like they really care about others. I see a lot of kind heartedness.

I have not witnessed panic or people acting in a manner that demonstrates they are only for themselves. I feel good about America and how most companies are treating employees. I have seen more than one company needing to close its doors and lay people off, but still let them keep their medical paid for by the company.

Maybe I’m sheltered? Aside for the supermarket initial run, what have you all experienced?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
One thing I have been impressed with, is the people I have seen and spoke with all feel like they really care about others. I see a lot of kind heartedness.

I have not witnessed panic or people acting in a manner that demonstrates they are only for themselves. I feel good about America and how most companies are treating employees. I have seen more than one company needing to close its doors and lay people off, but still let them keep their medical paid for by the company.

Maybe I’m sheltered? Aside for the supermarket initial run, what have you all experienced?
I have noticed that people seem to be friendlier lately. They actually seem to smile more, speak more, and are more helpful.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I know we have to deal with what’s going on now. But, I keep wondering if this thing is going to hit again next year. I pray there will be a vaccine/treatment by then.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
The movie Surrogates makes a whole lot of sense now.

I do expect this to pass over the coming months but as many have said, it will not be the last time we deal with something like it. I can only hope that we learn and prepare more effectively for that next time.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have noticed that people seem to be friendlier lately. They actually seem to smile more, speak more, and are more helpful.
One thing I've noticed a lot lately is when I'm talking with someone whether it be in person or on the phone most will now say "be safe". It's kind of scary when you think about it but it's a nice gesture that shows people are generally concerned for one another. I just hope people continue this once this is all over with.

I know we have to deal with what’s going on now. But, I keep wondering if this thing is going to hit again next year. I pray there will be a vaccine/treatment by then.
That's my fear too. I keep reading how MLB is trying to figure out a way to continue the season along with basketball and auto racing. As much as I like sports I think all should be cancelled this year. Packing all those people into stadiums is just asking for trouble again but it's a billion dollar industry and we all know that greed will over rule over common sense in this decision.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I feel like all of these world events will cause people to sit back and regain focus on what their priorities are in life. Just 4 weeks ago I was complaining about my work and would focus on the negative aspects that dont seem important at all anymore. I am fortunate to be employed (for now) and still getting paid, as well as my wife who is a teacher and is being paid to "work from home" . We will hopefully come out of this more enlightened on what it means to participate in our society and how we are contributors to that while being true to ourselves and our beliefs.

Overall I think the world economy will take a hit, and I know it sounds cliche, but I think as Americans we will come out of this stronger and more banded together, at least thats what i hope for.
Sponsored