COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Italy institutes a nationwide quarantine as they exceed 450 deaths while the oil producing nations engage in a price war. The market opened with a drop so quick they suspended trading for 15 minutes stave off the free fall but still finished more than 2000pts down. I'm concerned how deep this goes, both from a viral and economic standpoint.

This thread had some pretty good insight into the Italian situation: (you'll have to view the entire post, it's 9 posts)
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
This virus is man made...It's another of many ways the deep state's/NWO to achieve population reduction...vaccines, modern medicine, processed food, agenda 21/2030, migration, San Francisco, etc...that's what they've been up to for several hundred years...hell they've spelled it out in stone 40 years ago..."maintain human population under 500 million!"...that's a lot of people who need to go...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Last edited:

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's an interesting phenomena to watch. The media hypes everything negative in the news, or it isn't shown. I've been watching this thing unfold & I do have a couple of comments.

1 - It's a fairly new virus which has no vaccine or "cure" medically, so most people are subject to infection. Healthy people are not in any real danger.

2 - It's running at about a 4% mortality rate currently, less with better care, more without meaningful medical support.

3 - The "best guess" is a 70% infection rate if it gets into the general population & runs as a full-blown infection, which then runs its course. This translates into a world wide total of 108,000,000 deaths, or about 5,000,000 in the USA. The most vulnerable populations are the elderly with pre-existing medical conditions, 3rd world population without medical support & marginal food & sanitation. The homeless in the USA are at risk due to living conditions & lifestyle.

4 - Best site I've found for actual numbers is: https://www.worldometers.info/coron...zUebMjCYLSd0q6B_vO6ANXWZFDQgo9d50-Yc6O9LJex6k

5 - The good news is oil is now trading at $33 a barrel & gas prices are down ($1.89 in Texas last week on a trip), the stock market is down & shows a large potential to the upside if you have a bit of cash.

So that's my take on things. Personally, I ordered a small bench-top milling machine yesterday, which I'm setting up in my shop to work on tooling for knives (nice to be retired). First thing will be a magnetic chuck to make an attachment for the grinder for surface grinding. I buy steel which is rolled & comes with a rough mill finish from the rolling operation. The surface grinding will allow me to flatten the steel so both sides are finished, parallel & smooth. I'm doing it by hand now & this will help with a better finish & easier assembly when attaching the scales.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's an interesting phenomena to watch. The media hypes everything negative in the news, or it isn't shown. I've been watching this thing unfold & I do have a couple of comments.

1 - It's a fairly new virus which has no vaccine or "cure" medically, so most people are subject to infection. Healthy people are not in any real danger.

2 - It's running at about a 4% mortality rate currently, less with better care, more without meaningful medical support.

3 - The "best guess" is a 70% infection rate if it gets into the general population & runs as a full-blown infection, which then runs its course. This translates into a world wide total of 108,000,000 deaths, or about 5,000,000 in the USA. The most vulnerable populations are the elderly with pre-existing medical conditions, 3rd world population without medical support & marginal food & sanitation. The homeless in the USA are at risk due to living conditions & lifestyle.

4 - Best site I've found for actual numbers is: https://www.worldometers.info/coron...zUebMjCYLSd0q6B_vO6ANXWZFDQgo9d50-Yc6O9LJex6k

5 - The good news is oil is now trading at $33 a barrel & gas prices are down ($1.89 in Texas last week on a trip), the stock market is down & shows a large potential to the upside if you have a bit of cash.

So that's my take on things. Personally, I ordered a small bench-top milling machine yesterday, which I'm setting up in my shop to work on tooling for knives (nice to be retired). First thing will be a magnetic chuck to make an attachment for the grinder for surface grinding. I buy steel which is rolled & comes with a rough mill finish from the rolling operation. The surface grinding will allow me to flatten the steel so both sides are finished, parallel & smooth. I'm doing it by hand now & this will help with a better finish & easier assembly when attaching the scales.
And mortgage rate are at all time low...time to refinance...less than 3%:like:

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Time will certainly tell all.

Use common sense and due diligence.

Panic is not an effective strategy and/or tactic.

Yes, this COVID19 is relatively new. But history & wisdom are worth repeating and help in understanding.

Here’s what we do know about the “flu”:

9817D8EE-3B0A-4D67-82D4-6E2A8CE374A7.jpeg
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Who knows, this may prove an invaluable exercise to prepare us all for things to come?

It’s in God’s hands.... I just hope he’s washed them for at least 20 seconds! ??

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And mortgage rate are at all time low...time to refinance...less than 3%:like:
What's a mortgage ? lol I paid mine off at 44 :) It wasn't easy but we were going through a huge building boom back in the mid 2000's and I had 6 guys working for me and we were working 6-7 days a week. I had a 15 yr loan and I would hit the principal with everything I had leftover.

Back on topic the Coronavirus. F' It! I'm not buying into this panic BS I'm just not shaking hands with anyone,taking more immunity boosting pills, taking more vitamins and washing my hands more. It's a little worse than the Flue and the people who are the most ceceptable are elderly people and those with respiratory problems.

Why are these morons panic buying toilet paper??? It's not like you're going to get the squirts and be stuck on the toilet all day, it's the damn Flue!:headbang:

Corona.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's a mortgage ? lol I paid mine off at 44 :) It wasn't easy but we were going through a huge building boom back in the mid 2000's and I had 6 guys working for me and we were working 6-7 days a week. I had a 15 yr loan and I would hit the principal with everything I had leftover.

Back on topic the Coronavirus. F' It! I'm not buying into this panic BS I'm just not shaking hands with anyone,taking more immunity boosting pills, taking more vitamins and washing my hands more. It's a little worse than the Flue and the people who are the most ceceptable are elderly people and those with respiratory problems.

Why are these morons panic buying toilet paper??? It's not like you're going to get the squirts and be stuck on the toilet all day, it's the damn Flue!:headbang:

Corona.jpg
Man lucky you...I have my mother, wife and kids to support...I bet you retired at 44 too while I'll be working till 70?

I stocked up for Y2K lol...I'm all set...still another 5 year shelf life left...

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Man lucky you...I have my mother, wife and kids to support...I bet you retired at 44 too while I'll be working till 70?

I stocked up for Y2K lol...I'm all set...still another 5 year shelf life left...

Y2K..lol That was another panic everyone thought that computers were going to crash and the world was going to end!

I use to talk to all the old timers on the job sites growing up and when just about everyone of them tells you to save your money and pay everything off ASAP I listened to them. It's not a field where you can sit at a desk and work until you're 70 so being self employed the one thing that always scared me was getting hurt and not being able to work and losing my house. I semi retired at 51 but these darn hobbies are expensive and working keeps me in shape and good health so I keep going,I'm just more selective on the jobs I take now. I really need to unsubscribe from all these gun dealers because their email specials are killing me! :curse:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not really worried about it, but if a little precaution makes it so when my youngest son inevitably breaks an arm (he takes after his dad a bit too much in the "let's see if I can jump my bike off the roof of the house" kinda way), there's somebody at the hospital available to glue him back together, it'll be worth it.

There really isn't going to be any stopping the spread, but the goal is slowing it down so the healthcare system doesn't get overwhelmed.

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Y2K..lol That was another panic everyone thought that computers were going to crash and the world was going to end!
As someone in IT during Y2K I have to respond to this. People said it was no big deal, but it was no big deal because a TON of work went into fixing it. I personally fixed a couple of VERY serious issues that would have crippled the company I was working for. It was sensationalized, but to a certain degree the warnings were merited. It was only due to a LOT Of hard work by a LOT of people that it turned out to be not much at all.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As someone in IT during Y2K I have to respond to this. People said it was no big deal, but it was no big deal because a TON of work went into fixing it. I personally fixed a couple of VERY serious issues that would have crippled the company I was working for. It was sensationalized, but to a certain degree the warnings were merited. It was only due to a LOT Of hard work by a LOT of people that it turned out to be not much at all.
I was only stating that the media hypes up everything just like they did Y2K and gets everyone into a panic. It would've been nice if they actually wrote stories about all the hard word from people like yourself who staved off all the troubles before they could occur. :)

They're doing the same thing now where this is nothing but a bad flue. Should we be alarmed and more careful,absolutely but they need to stop with all this panic because people are creating their own shortages. Instead of just buying stuff normally they're hoarding everything thinking the world is going to end! Also this is more than just some hoarding, people are losing their retirement money because of these idiots! Those retiring soon are screwed now because of this.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I was only stating that the media hypes up everything just like they did Y2K and gets everyone into a panic. It would've been nice if they actually wrote stories about all the hard word from people like yourself who staved off all the troubles before they could occur. :)

They're doing the same thing now where this is nothing but a bad flue. Should we be alarmed and more careful,absolutely but they need to stop with all this panic because people are creating their own shortages. Instead of just buying stuff normally they're hoarding everything thinking the world is going to end! Also this is more than just some hoarding, people are losing their retirement money because of these idiots! Those retiring soon are screwed now because of this.
I totally agree, but when people tell me that Y2K was overblown, I can't help but correct them. :)

OP
OP
Sashimi_Moto

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m healthy and (somewhat) young enough to likely be fine but am concerned about my parents as well as my newborn.

The problem with comparing this to influenza is that if we discovered Flu today, we would be taking steps to avoid its ubiquitous adoption but it’s too late for that. Thankfully Flu only has a .1% mortality rate but covid has 2.3-3%. So if Covid is ubiquitous in adoption with 20+ time higher mortality rate than Flu produces, that IS a big deal. Therefore containment, mitigation and hopefully a vaccination will save millions of lives.

The incubation period and contagious period of covid makes it worse than flu as well because you could have it and be spreading it for up to 9 days before manifesting symptoms while Flu is half that (1-4) and is only contagious for 1-2 days before manifesting. Infections are expected to double every 4 days (without significant intervention), most drugs that treat the symptoms are manufactured in China and a vaccine is expected to take a full year to mass produce on an optimistic time table according to the WHO.

Flu season (oct19-Mar19) infects about 30 million. 300k hospitalized and about 12,000 deaths so far. 0.0004% mortality rate. If that same number were Covid with a conservative mortality rate of 2% that’s 6 million deaths. Also saw that the mortality rate for smokers is 2x-3x vs non-smokers because the virus is respiratory in nature.

OP
OP
Sashimi_Moto

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like Y2K, if this isn’t going to be an epic thing, it’s going to be because a LOT people did a LOT drastic things to keep it from being so.... like Italy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.