Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
2AF457FF-0E35-4AF0-A396-AC7A50A38BD1.jpeg

Carrying my spyderco para3 today. It is a sprint run, Blade HQ exclusive only sold by them on 2018. Blade steel is CPM-M4 with DLC coating with jade G-10 handles (no they don’t glow in the dark).

I finally put down my cru-wear steel para3 for a change. I have too many rare para3. Damm spyderco makes the exotic super steels and it’s hard to say no.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I have had really good luck with Spyderco and Benchmade. I have a Spyderco that is almost 30 years old and I believe it is still as sharp as the day I bought it. Was used and used for many years at work and has never been sharpened.

OP
OP
Megawatt

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Bday gift to myself
Ha ha. I’m a dork. I was looking for the pic and there was an acne lotion advertisement above your knife pic. I’m thinking why is he sharing acne lotion present with us in a blade post. Bwahhh haaa haaa.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don't carry anything too impressive. Mostly Spydercos as they are based here in Colorado.

My most heavily used:

Spyderco Delica 4 w/ Emerson Wave Opener
20211024_091730.jpg

My favorite flipper:

Spyderco Smock w/ detent ball mod

20211024_091932.jpg

My only "designer steel":

Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight in Maxomet steel

20211024_092035.jpg

My "church knife":

Spyderco Hanan

20211024_091848.jpg

My self defense blade:

Spyderco Karahawk

20211024_092103.jpg

Lastly, my only non Spydie. When I have to run a route at work I leave everything on the truck. I'm not back tracking 220 stops to find a lost wallet, phone, or knife. But I do carry this little guy on my belt just in case.

CRKT Minimalist

20211024_092210.jpg

Glad I pulled them all out to take pictures. I need to spend some time cleaning, tightening, and sharpening most of these.

Looks like I'll be breaking out the Sharpmaker during my football game this morning.
I wanted the Smock for a long time before it was finally released. Then I didn't love the scales, so I put a set of Putnam on it, and it's a whole new knife. Not so slippery, and covered the 3 speed holes. ;)

Also a Sprint run Para 3 in Hunter Green Diamond Arc scales in S45VN

Q3cThdW.jpg

Love the Minimalists as well. A glow in the dark scales/sheath with laser etched gears, and I have the hawk blade as well (truck knife). The cleaver was too cool looking for me to pass up.

i1vHM23.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I wanted the Smock for a long time before it was finally released. Then I didn't love the scales, so I put a set of Putnam on it, and it's a whole new knife. Not so slippery, and covered the 3 speed holes. ;)

Also a Sprint run Para 3 in Hunter Green Diamond Arc scales in S45VN

Q3cThdW.jpg

Love the Minimalists as well. A glow in the dark scales/sheath with laser etched gears, and I have the hawk blade as well (truck knife). The cleaver was too cool looking for me to pass up.

i1vHM23.jpg
Very nice.

I've been considering scales for the Smock. Those Putnams are BEAUTIFUL!

I can never get in on the sprint runs it seems. They're always gone by the time I get around to purchasing. I'll be hitting up the Outlet soon, gotta buy my Father's Day present, maybe I can find something special.

I went back and forth when I grabbed my Minimalist. The cleaver and hawkbill profiles are slick.

Reactions: Doc

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
they are literally tax collectors with attitudes.
they do press releases about stopping illegal pot from entering Canada, where its legal now, and pat themselves on the back, but cant stop illegal handguns from crossing the border.
Treating you like a smuggler because you went grocery shopping across the border is a cool one too.

back to the topic at hand, I've been interested in adding a knife or two. Anyone have experience with CRKT knives? A local gun shop sells them and they look nice.
I kinda like this one
1635154563462.png
Those Carson designed M-series CRKT are great knives for the $. I have the larger M21 SF and it's a beast. It's tip down carry only, and too much for my pocket carry. Absolute work horse for a folder.

kQDCiec.jpg

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
This is a spyderco delica4. They delica Has been made since 1990 (currently on generation 4) it is one of their main selling models. IMO it is a perfect edc, the 2.9” blade length makes it is legal in most all states to carry. The pocket clip is movable to all 4 positions to suit your carry style. Tip up or down, blade forward or backward.

They make many high quality exotic steels (and common steels like VG-10) and grinds for the delica 4. This model is a 3 piece sandwich steel. There are two layers of SUS410 stainless steel over HAP40 carbon steel. The stainless prevents rust and the carbon layer is the cutting edge that has taken on a patina.

This one makes it into my daily rotation, I have carried it for 15 years. If your looking for a edc, the delica4 has to be considered. They color of the scales matches the steel model, so a delica 4 in burnt orange is a hap40/SUS410 blade.

1E68CCA0-0002-4C18-BAAE-3A3E91BD2444.jpeg

89E08EB3-508A-4BF8-816E-027F346F95B5.jpeg
Love the Hap40 sandwich, great blade.

I don't love the Delica4 as much as I expected. It's just a little too small for my ape hand.

Here are a few though. A titanium scale, damascus blade, and a black out with Spyderedge.

EKrezqs.png

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So I have been looking at dropping some $ on a really good gyuto, I have had Grohman chef knives, various Victorinox fibrox, and a global santoku. After doing more research I am getting worried about the brittleness of a higher-end gyuto, I have been reading stories and watching videos where the knives break or chip very easily given their higher hardness ratings. I don't "abuse" my knives but I do not baby them either. Japanese vs german knives I want this knife to be my daily driver, I don't want to switch when I need to chop harder veg like squash or take the pit out of an avocado (probably made someone cringe mentioning pit) or maybe even slice rib roast off the bone so, are they really that sensitive? Or is it more common sense do not to treat it like a cleaver, screwdriver, or pry-bar type thing? And if it varies by the brand is there a Rockwell rating or other spec I should be looking at? Thanks in advance!!
What??? Grohman? Canadian baby!

My Grohman #4 Survavlist Stainless, which came with a steel, but I carry a Exotec Fero rod there. I also have the #2 Trout & Bird Stainless full flat grind, and another limited run, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.

himmKJi.jpg

I found a old photo in Imgur!

j9Dtbta.jpg

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
BK 9” Combat Bowie. It’s been a rugged reliable camp knife for years.

28C55095-FDA3-4F10-95C2-0437348FBDDD.jpeg
Kabar Becker is a beast. I cracked a scale on mine, and had large wear like yours, so I stripped it and sent it in for Cerakote about a year ago. I ordered some Micarta scales and rit dyed them race red, then charcoal grey.

2ERBEE9.jpg

And my BK10 got the same treatment for new scales, but I also added a stainless bow drill plate in the driver's side scale. This is an old photo, where it's still like new.

jogmseg.jpg
Sponsored